Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 06:13 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Pretty much everyone who is a car enthusiast always wanted a Supra, and as far as I'm concerned BMW interior and infotainment is only a bonus over Toyotas disposable junk.
I don’t know about that. I’ve owned MKIII and MKIV Supras and the infotainment was the last thing on my mind. The interiors were pretty comfortable.
The MKV may be called a Supra but it’s a different car altogether

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Toyota/Lexus has NEVER been an enthusiast oriented brand. Never. So this argument that they've lost their way because they dont build enthusiast attracting vehicles holds no water.
I disagree. Toyota made the AE86 Corolla, the Celia All trac, the 1st and 2nd generation MR2 and the Supra. And then...nothing. So when rumors of a new Supra started, expectations were high. The last thing any of the Supra faithful would’ve expected was a 2 seater, 4 cylinder car developed with BMW.
Old 05-12-19, 06:53 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
theirs was a GT with near sports car handling and super car thrust
and that's all anyone wanted for this one, except the modern interpretation of super car thrust means being in the 650 hp region not basically the same power as a quarter century old car

i think it's awesome that toyota "bothered" "to build" this car at all, just don't call it a supra when it's a downgrade from the old one (much better flat handling is a downgrade since that means less comfort) and doesn't really include anything in its design that would make big mk iv fans happy about this one
Old 05-12-19, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Them calling this a Supra just doesn’t bother me.
Old 05-12-19, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Them calling this a Supra just doesn’t bother me.
For those of you (like me) who remember the original Supra of the late 1970s, it wasn't a hard-edged sports car at all, like later versions would become. It was essentially a Grand Tourer, a somewhat larger and more plush version of the Celica sports-coupe.

Old 05-12-19, 08:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 05-12-19, 09:18 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For those of you (like me) who remember the original Supra of the late 1970s, it wasn't a hard-edged sports car at all, like later versions would become. It was essentially a Grand Tourer, a somewhat larger and more plush version of the Celica sports-coupe.
well it was indeed called the celica supra, but toyota set the trend when they decided to make the supra a serious sports GT car with the mk iv, and for this new car to go the direction it's going and still be called supra is saddening to me

even the mk iv wasn't hard-edged by any means, it had thick cushy seats and somewhat more firm but still soft-ish ride great for covering many miles at a time... the zupra seems more or less like a better BRZ that will ride too stiff, and has lost that long sleek styling (the zupra is literally the same length as the BRZ)
Old 05-12-19, 09:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think we might eventually see a ///M Supra, where all these fake vents are going to have a purpose.
Old 05-13-19, 05:33 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

BMW said they wouldnt make the Z4 in the past but by working with a company to split the R&D there are now two cars that the world gets to enjoy that otherwise it would have had neither.
Old 05-13-19, 06:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

will be interesting to see what new tesla roadster costs because i expect it will destroy this new supra and other sports cars.
Old 05-13-19, 07:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Some encouraging reviews out this morning.

Motor Trend:

We're instructed not to switch stability control completely off, to trail-brake into the turns, and to roll judiciously onto the throttle. Indeed, all those driving-school techniques provoke textbook responses in the Supra sans drama or surprises. The steering is extremely precise and nicely weighted, though it lacks the intimate communication of the Cayman Toyota is gunning for. Stability intervention is pleasantly surreptitious. And the super-strong Brembo brakes survive lap after lap after lap without fade, even as we all learn to press deeper into each of the closely spaced corners. Then during a later afternoon session, when we've probably used up 280 of the tires' 300 tread-life rating, I even manage to string together a couple of very nice, controllable corner-to-corner drifts. I emerge, sweaty but smiling.

Once the red mist subsides and we take to the country lanes surrounding Summit Point, the car's Sunday-drive demeanor proves equally delightful. The 12-speaker 500-watt JBL system cranks out the jams, the ride quality in Sport mode is sufficiently compliant to encourage leaving the car in this 'fun-exhaust' mode, and when zipping through a series of S-bends with your phone on the Qi wireless charger, a cover and sufficient fencing keep it from flying into the passenger footwell.

So is this miracle of automotive husbandry worthy of the Supra name? Heck, yeah. It reinvents the concept in a guise that make sense for today's world, and it's offered at a price ($50,920 to start, $57,375 fully loaded) that's a relative bargain when measured against both its predecessor and its Porsche competitor ($58,150, $70,640 similarly equipped to the Launch Edition model). If it's not precisely what you had in mind, the aftermarket is gearing up to help you fix that.
Link

Car and Driver:

This Supra's rollout has been shrouded in a cloud of perceived compromise by internet philosophers since it was announced that it would share its platform with BMW's Z4 convertibles. The Supra loyal weren't shy in expressing their indignation about the union, claiming that a Supra without a manual transmission—gasp!—could never be a true Supra and that a co-developed car was destined to be viewed by history as nothing more than badge engineering.

They weren't completely wrong. Viewed with the knowledge that the Supra uses a BMW engine and that its transmission, dampers, and steering rack are shared with the Z4, Tada-san's claim that its fundamentals weren't just thrust upon Toyota is harder to believe. Still, BMW's B58, a turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six, produces 335 horsepower and 365 lb-ft of torque and is undeniably well suited to the Supra, especially when paired with ZF's eight-speed automatic, the only available transmission. According to Tada-san, the inline-six, which he considers a no-compromise item for any Supra, is the reason Toyota agreed to the BMW partnership. (However, there also is a four-cylinder Supra variant that may make its way to the United States.) An electronically controlled limited-slip differential with the ability to vary lock from zero to 100 percent is part of the program. And, of course, the Supra uses BMW's front strut and rear multilink suspensions. Picking a partner in car building is a lot like picking a partner in life. And Toyota could have done far worse than BMW.
That the Supra lacks the genetic purity its disciples might prefer is clear, but genealogy is far less important than creating a driving tool capable of fully immersing its pilot in the experience. And that's what Toyota has done with the Supra.
Link
Old 05-13-19, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Alex On Autos...

Old 05-13-19, 08:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
will be interesting to see what new tesla roadster costs because i expect it will destroy this new supra and other sports cars.
especially destroys them pricewise

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/17/...supercar-price
Old 05-13-19, 08:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

At $200K I would hope it destroys the $50K MKV
Old 05-13-19, 08:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

The required deposit ($50k) on the Tesla Roadster is almost to the penny the full purchase price of the Supra. Current estimates are that the Roadster is going to start at $200k. If it costs 4-6x as much, it had better be faster.
Old 05-13-19, 08:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I am too young to be around for the original Celica/Supra iterations but that was the way many Japanese sports cars were, original 240Z was a pretty modest powered relatively affordable sports car to go after the relatively affordable British sports cars in the 60's and 70's, it grew into more of a heavy GT car then into a powerful high tech sports car putting out almost super car numbers with the 300ZXtt in the late 80's early 90's. RX-7 was pretty modest and pretty affordable when it started out and then also became a high powered, high performance sports car for its last gen. Original Skylines were not all that powerful, current one competes with super cars now. Even the original NSX was not all that powerful at 270hp but has become a monster putting out almost 600hp with the 2nd Gen. Most Japanese sports cars were originally pretty low powered, relatively affordable but were developed into high powered, high performance, expensive cars. Only the Miata has pretty much stayed the same basic package/car from the beginning.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra