Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 05:55 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not that impressive anymore. A tesla 3 performance can do that too.
Well the car hasn't been out 3 weeks and already shaved a second off, the shops that have them seem to be competing against each other. It's interesting to see it unfold and them start to push and find the limits same will happen with C8 once released. I would take this car over a Tesla 3.
Old 08-10-19, 06:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Eh, yeah, but see which car is limping off the track first after repeated laps.
The model 3 doesn't limp when it overheats. Since the battery management system in track mode manages the heat, you can do about 20 minutes near full speed then it will reduce power to about 75% output. Most people just bring it in at that point. The Model S would go into limp
Mode because it has no track mode.

I would never track the Model 3. Just too big and weighty for that. It's more of a canyon carver and extremely capable at that due to the instant torque and AWD grip. It's also most people daily commuter and not a sports car. Just funny that the only thing in the BMW stable that can beat it is the M5.
Old 08-10-19, 10:49 PM
ToyotaLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real Street went 11.48 today with their Supra. Pretty impressive for minimal mods.
Old 08-11-19, 05:50 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyotaLex
Real Street went 11.48 today with their Supra. Pretty impressive for minimal mods.
Not bad but I’m sure this was on e85 or race gas and drag radials right? I am curious to see how much hp these pick up on 93 pump. Impressive so far though for about $1000. Once the dust settles with all these different timers I’ll be getting a tune for my M340, such cheap hp for the money.
Old 08-11-19, 05:26 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
O then I dont know why people ignore Japanese sports cars and buy unreliable American and European sports cars.
Originally Posted by Coolchuck
I think reliability is part of what made the mkiv special. A sports car that responds well to mods, can make high HP and has reliability. That’s a great mix for people that plan to keep the cars.

The American muscle cars have a big aftermarket and are relatively easy to work on. Most of the European cars are turned over once they’re out of warranty. So unreliability is not much of an issue for these groups.
Thank you for providing a fair answer to someone that is okay with trash reliability in a sports car.
Old 08-11-19, 05:30 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We going back 2 black!

Last edited by nicedude; 08-11-19 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 06:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The model 3 doesn't limp when it overheats. Since the battery management system in track mode manages the heat, you can do about 20 minutes near full speed then it will reduce power to about 75% output. Most people just bring it in at that point. The Model S would go into limp

I would never track the Model 3. Just too big and weighty for that. It's more of a canyon carver and extremely capable at that due to the instant torque and AWD grip. It's also most people daily commuter and not a sports car. Just funny that the only thing in the BMW stable that can beat it is the M5.
I mean running out of range, not overheating. A Supra could theoretically run through a whole tank of gas running laps over and over assuming the brakes are up to the job.
Old 08-11-19, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
We going back 2 black!
those pictures could be captioned "How to make the new Supra look lame".
Old 08-11-19, 09:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/11/te...ssian-highway/

Lou
Old 08-11-19, 09:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
That was a pretty high speed collision. A lot of things would have blown up. The driver was using autopilot and not paying attention. It's a deathwish if you do that.
Old 08-12-19, 08:05 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those pictures could be captioned "How to make the new Supra look lame".
Yeah that Corvette looks mean as hell. Why does the Supra have red mirrors? Is that a launch edition thing?
Old 08-12-19, 09:40 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm almost embarrassed for that Supra parked next to the C8. The C8 blows it out the water in looks. It looks like an Exotic next to a toy car. SMH
Old 08-12-19, 04:50 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolchuck
Yeah that Corvette looks mean as hell. Why does the Supra have red mirrors? Is that a launch edition thing?
Yes the red mirrors are a launch edition thing on the black and white exteriors. I personally don’t like that look at all. The other strange thing with the launch editions is that the red interior only has red on the driver’s side door interior while the passenger side is black to show that it is “driver focused.” Looks weird and asymmetrical to me but I haven’t seen it in person so maybe it flows well.
Old 08-13-19, 04:02 AM
ToyotaLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Not bad but I’m sure this was on e85 or race gas and drag radials right? I am curious to see how much hp these pick up on 93 pump. Impressive so far though for about $1000. Once the dust settles with all these different timers I’ll be getting a tune for my M340, such cheap hp for the money.
They made 442whp and 470+wtq on just a downpipe and tune on pump 93 octane. Yes they ran r888 tires at the track so they could keep traction.
Old 08-13-19, 05:50 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Engine Tear Down Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mckx...XeLkFPa_m-G9S0

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra