Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-19, 07:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts
Default 2020 Supra engine teardown

Seems weird to tear one down that has like 100 miles on it.

Nice to see the technology though.

Old 08-18-19, 11:16 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Haha. Different class of cars. One is $55K maxed out and the other is more like $80K before the actual "luxury" customizations.
this is exactly what disappoints me so much about this car, and i don't quite get why it doesn't seem to bother more people (i guess you have to be a big 90s toyota fan)

the supra when it came out was seriously one of the best rounded performance cars somebody could walk into a showroom and buy... the zupra in terms of today's market is just a faster than average car, yet toyota is happy to use the supra name and throw around all their 'the legend is back' literature on the website to get people excited and allow dealers to justify enormous markups

i could almost forgive toyota for the bmw partnership if they made an all new model and allowed the supra name to rest peacefully, a mysterious elusive product of a foregone era that we will continue to lust after, and dream about overnighting parts from japan to make it decimate all... but instead toyota pulled a star wars phantom menace and decided to revive the supra name for something way less impressive than the previous iteration
Old 08-18-19, 11:20 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by plex
The usual of why did they go with BMW etc, how fast, how much power etc.....no one was really aggressive as they are online though. They let anyone sit in car etc...

Ha ha I'm actually in MD most of the time but sure. Just pick a safeword for the ride along
yea i bet nobody was aggressive, wimps...

i think i'll use B58 as my safe word
Old 08-19-19, 04:52 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Attended a local Cars and Coffee meet today at Katie's in McLean, VA. Some Toyo Corp folks were there with a MKV and saved us some parking spots. It was me (Black MKIV), 2 other MKIV's and a MKIII. This was my first time up close with the MKV, the Toyota team there were very professional and handled the BMW jabs with ease . They were pretty excited about our "old" Supras being there too.
Thanks for the pics and well played Toyota as I especially liked they lined them all up near each other! PS your car looks great!
Old 08-19-19, 08:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
... but instead toyota pulled a star wars phantom menace and decided to revive the supra name for something way less impressive than the previous iteration
LOL, funny analogy and kind of how I feel.
Old 08-19-19, 07:51 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patgilm
LOL, funny analogy and kind of how I feel.
thanks for appreciating it haha
Old 08-20-19, 02:36 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yea i bet nobody was aggressive, wimps...

i think i'll use B58 as my safe word
The Toyota folks there were all from the marketing team, based on my chat with them they are definitely not technical or know much details outside of whatever internal marketing documentation was shared with them. At one point one of them started up the MKV and was revving it to get the burple back fire. One of my friends there said I should do the same lol, I have a 4" Titanium exhaust and 2 step setup it wouldn't have been fair.

That's an excellent safe word
Old 08-20-19, 04:46 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Supra won't last long in the market. C8 is a direct competitor and will kill it off. Other than fanboys, nobody is going to pay $50k+ for a Supra when they can jump in a base Corvette for $60k. And the base Corvette isn't some stripped down, compromise car. It''s well equipment for the price. The Z51 for $5k is about the only thing I require above the base. With that, you've got a car that looks and performs with the exotics for $65k. Easy decision to pick the C8 over the Supra for an extra $10k.
Old 08-20-19, 05:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

First off $10k isn’t chump change, plus as you say, most Corvettes won’t be ‘base’ at $60K so the gap from Zupra will be even more.

The Zupra will appeal to those appreciating BMW’s engineering and Toyota’s reliability. Kind of have your cake and eat it too.

Personally i just don’t think it looks that great, but some like its over the top styling with fake non-functional vents everywhere.

some will get it for nostalgia’s sake and because they’re comfortable knowing it can be modded/tuned with 3rd party software and parts that aren’t too radical. But the truth is, again, cars like tesla have ruined the actual performance ‘cred’ of cars like a supra.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-20-19 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-20-19, 07:28 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
First off $10k isn’t chump change, plus as you say, most Corvettes won’t be ‘base’ at $60K so the gap from Zupra will be even more.

The Zupra will appeal to those appreciating BMW’s engineering and Toyota’s reliability. Kind of have your cake and eat it too.

Personally i just don’t think it looks that great, but some like its over the top styling with fake non-functional vents everywhere.

some will get it for nostalgia’s sake and because they’re comfortable knowing it can be modded/tuned with 3rd party software and parts that aren’t too radical. But the truth is, again, cars like tesla have ruined the actual performance ‘cred’ of cars like a supra.
If someone is willing to fork out over $50k for a toy, another $10k is not an issue as long as they get the performance for it. The price gap wont be that big as Toyota dealers are gouging anyway.
Old 08-20-19, 08:07 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by situman
If someone is willing to fork out over $50k for a toy, another $10k is not an issue as long as they get the performance for it. The price gap wont be that big as Toyota dealers are gouging anyway.
And with all the creative financing and leasing options today, the $10k difference would only be about $125 a month in most cases. Unless someone is already pushing their budget to get into the Supra, the extra money is a no-brainer for what you get.
Old 08-20-19, 08:09 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

And I don't see how they will get Toyota reliability from a BMW drive train no matter what kind of tweaking they do. I don't buy it.
Old 08-20-19, 08:20 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Most dealers were gouging the numbered Launch Edition Cars not the Base or Premium which has the same engine. Even with that you could still find Launch Editions without markups if you looked around. C8 availability is another thing my friends dad ordered one and it's a one year wait for him for delivery, that's a long time. He ordered a base with Z51 package I believe.
Old 08-20-19, 08:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The pricing divide between the C8 and new Supra is not currently that big. Several dealers are still listing the Supra at MSRP so there's no need to pay a premium.

However, in time, I suspect that you'll be able to get a Supra at or below MSRP, while the C8 will, I think, creep up over the next few years, as happened with the C7. So in a couple of years, they will likely be further separated.
Old 08-21-19, 08:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont get too attached with this phantom $60k corvette price, the C7 went up several thousand in the first model year. Dont be surprised if Chevy jacks it up. 2014 C7 started 51.9k, by 2015MY it was 54.9, by now its $58k

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra