Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 01:16 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
What you get for the pricing just makes no sense. I'm going to call this Supra a flop. Just like the RC, GSF and to some extent the LC and GT86 and I called it on all of them.
A $1000 for 100HP isn't a bad deal to me compared to any of the other NA cars you listed. Remember this is a boosted factory motor and not a NA V8. Boosted factory motors respond to mods very well, something as simple as a downpipe has immediate results.
Old 07-25-18, 06:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

What you get for the pricing just makes no sense. I'm going to call this Supra a flop. Just like the RC, GSF and to some extent the LC and GT86 and I called it on all of them.
What sports car is NOT a flop besides 911, Corvette and Mustang? None of them sell well especially after first 2 years.
Your posts make sound like a hater without understanding the target market nor the competition for this Supra. This is NOT intended to be a high volume car, its a niche sports car with 2 seats. Lets see the final specs and finished product.

I personally think the BRZ and GT86 have sold pretty well worldwide, have strong aftermarket and loyal following.
They will be all over drift scene once prices fall below $10k.
Old 07-26-18, 07:13 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

What sports car is NOT a flop besides 911, Corvette and Mustang? None of them sell well especially after first 2 years.
Your posts make sound like a hater without understanding the target market nor the competition for this Supra. This is NOT intended to be a high volume car, its a niche sports car with 2 seats. Lets see the final specs and finished product.

I personally think the BRZ and GT86 have sold pretty well worldwide, have strong aftermarket and loyal following.
They will be all over drift scene once prices fall below $10k.
Not a hater at all. At those price levels, again if true, it should offer more. Profits or ROI should not be a goal. It should be a marketing showcase model to demonstrate what Toyota is capable of, not what BMW can do.
Old 07-26-18, 09:32 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Not a hater at all. At those price levels, again if true, it should offer more. Profits or ROI should not be a goal. It should be a marketing showcase model to demonstrate what Toyota is capable of, not what BMW can do.
It sounds like you're arguing that they should change back to Toyco in-house design, which they won't.

And yes, modding is a very big market still for any sports cars, especially the Supra / GTR crowd.

You're at the point of just trying to troll this thread now, and no matter what people say, you'll just throw something else in the mix. The car won't change. It's not going to cost less. It's not going through last second redesign. It's not going to have a 2JZ block. Get over it...

PS - curious, what car do you drive?

Last edited by ST430; 07-26-18 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-26-18, 10:46 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 281 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Most people buy cars on the ability to mod it at least with the circle I'm in. I have friends with 1100 HP+ GTR's that still have stock ECU's that have been flashed. I agree that some people want a $65K car that doesn't need any mods to play with others and that's fine. Even the A90 chief engineer himself acknowledged the fact that the aftermarket will allow owners to modify and make car to their liking and even joked that if anyone plans to 2jz swap the A90 they should buy the 4cyl model to do it. Local shop to me has already registered 2 different website names related to swapping the A90 with a 2jz. The Supra name alone has the aftermarket ready for this platform. I may get one still will keep my MKIV but will wait at least 2 plus years once bugs are worked out and there are various aftermarket options. Friends in my circle plan to do the same even though I know one or two will probably buy the 6cyl as soon as they are available.
I love the ability to mod a car but the starting platform has to be decent. With this new Supra the additional 100hp some here speak of isn't enough to me based on the MKIV. With the MKIV, that car started out as a beast and with a few cheap mods was even better. Same with the GTR, Z06, etc. Small inexpensive mods make these cars a good bit faster but if the Supra isn't as fast to begin with 100hp isn't much.

As for the 1100hp GTRs, while on the stock ECU everything has to be built including the engine and transmission. Ask how much those GTRs cost to mod, likely $40k-$50k.
Old 07-26-18, 11:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ST430
It sounds like you're arguing that they should change back to Toyco in-house design, which they won't.

And yes, modding is a very big market still for any sports cars, especially the Supra / GTR crowd.

You're at the point of just trying to troll this thread now, and no matter what people say, you'll just throw something else in the mix. The car won't change. It's not going to cost less. It's not going through last second redesign. It's not going to have a 2JZ block. Get over it...

PS - curious, what car do you drive?
I'm driving a 2015 GS350AWD right now.

I just realized something. Why can't people just drive the car as is? Why buy a car to mod? Sure if you have money to burn, go for it. A great car should be enough in stock form. A Supra should be known to be a great driving car, not a great car to mod. Being easy to mod should be perk.
Old 07-26-18, 12:02 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

I just realized something. Why can't people just drive the car as is? Why buy a car to mod? Sure if you have money to burn, go for it. A great car should be enough in stock form. A Supra should be known to be a great driving car, not a great car to mod. Being easy to mod should be perk.
Nothing wrong with keeping a car stock but look around on this very forum and see how many people have modded their cars. I know many people that keep their car stock but they just like the car for what it is they don't care about modding it, most of those people however have non F models or non AMG or non M so they don't care. Most I know with the highest performing model do some sort of mod to it. If you had a GS-F would you mod it? Worked with a guy close to his 70's that had a modded 335i with tune, downpipe and exhaust. His other car was a early 80's 911 that was bone stock that's a garage queen or more of a collector car at this point.
Old 07-26-18, 03:38 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

That is a curious choice, given all you have stated about how low performing a stock A90 Supra will be, but that's your prerogative.

Whats wrong with modding? To customize it to the way you like, and not be another car in a sea of cars?

Take for example, my car (an 18' RS400). I ONLY bought it because I can mod it quite a bit to make it outperform other cars costing much, much more than it. Hey, I like the fact it is a bit of a sleeper. If people want stock, good for them. But do I chastise people because they want to remain stock?

Back to the Supra A90, stock performance will be on par with a Cayman, which it is what Toyota is targeting. That is pretty damn good stock. But throw in a few grand and you possibly have Carrera performance for half the price? Now that is where the allure is. If you don't mod, you won't understand, and more power to you. But MOST Supra owners do mod, and the reason why the A80 platform is so legendary is for its ability to be modded heavily. If you don't like it, well there is always an RC350/RC-F i guess, which seems like it suits you better anyways.
Old 07-28-18, 10:49 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Why can't people just drive the car as is?
Why can't people do both?

And if you seriously have to ask why people would buy a car to mod it, you're just declaring that you are ignorant of a huge part of car culture.
Old 07-30-18, 06:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gengar
Why can't people do both?

And if you seriously have to ask why people would buy a car to mod it, you're just declaring that you are ignorant of a huge part of car culture.
No I'm asking why anyone would buy a $65k car just to mod it. How is asking a sensible question ignorant? Sure if it was used and you can pick it up for 1/3 of the price, sure have at it. Perhaps I am ignorant of part of the car culture where people have money burning a hole in their pants.
Old 07-30-18, 07:30 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

No I'm asking why anyone would buy a $65k car just to mod it. How is asking a sensible question ignorant? Sure if it was used and you can pick it up for 1/3 of the price, sure have at it. Perhaps I am ignorant of part of the car culture where people have money burning a hole in their pants.
People are modding 6 figure cars. Look up UGR Lambos.
Old 07-30-18, 11:48 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Please stop trolling.

Tada - the chief engineer spoke to Supra owners and their #1 demand was being able to TUNE the car.
That is what the customer base wants that buys these cars.

Go on Google.com and type in SEMA.
The aftermarket industry is over a billion dollars therefore a LOT of people modify cars whether its $500k Aventador or $5k used Civic.

Old 07-31-18, 08:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by plex
People are modding 6 figure cars. Look up UGR Lambos.
Yes exactly my point, people with money burning a hole in their pants.
Old 07-31-18, 09:00 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Please stop trolling.

Tada - the chief engineer spoke to Supra owners and their #1 demand was being able to TUNE the car.
That is what the customer base wants that buys these cars.

Go on Google.com and type in SEMA.
The aftermarket industry is over a billion dollars therefore a LOT of people modify cars whether its $500k Aventador or $5k used Civic.

That's ridiculous! How is expressing one's point of view that is different than yours considered trolling? I suppose I can call you a troll because your opinion is different than mine.

And again, you just proved my point. A $5k civic, have it at and if it blows up find another. A $500k Lambo, you must have money burning a hole in your pants, therefore have at it. The point is, if you have the money, go for it.
Old 07-31-18, 09:45 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

How is expressing one's point of view that is different than yours considered trolling? I suppose I can call you a troll because your opinion is different than mine.
But you did not merely express a 'different point of view'; you strongly questioned the existence of an entire established segment of the automotive industry. If your point was in fact that you do not understand the finances and/or enthusiasm of the car tuning industry, I suggest you start with that next time and leave out the rhetoric as that only made you appear ignorant. You will get less blowback that way, make this a more pleasant community, and avoid having to come back and attempt to play victim as you have in your posts above.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra