Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-19, 10:11 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Yep 2 broken steering racks already.
Did you see the way the rack is designed? **** poor engineering your life is dependent on a spring and collar-like part that isn't putting enough pressure on the gear to allow proper engagement. WTF BMW.
Originally Posted by coolsaber
^Bmw problems, but the heck happened with the Toyota mechanic going in on the owner and posting to his social media....?
Lapse in judgement? lol.
Old 09-07-19, 01:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Yep 2 broken steering racks already.
? What is this about?
Old 09-07-19, 06:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

^^^^Watch the video in post #1328.

Lou
Old 09-08-19, 11:00 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh Toyota Sounds like a potential customer relations nightmare.
Its one thing to have issues with a new generation of car but another to have the company take no responsibility.
Old 09-08-19, 02:44 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

I would not lie - I was excited about 2020 Supra, but after seeing how Toyota(BMW) handled that steering failure, along with what policies were put in place to stop the propagation of the issue from the customer to the TOYOTA headquarters, as well as how that mechanic reacted and shiet on the customer, I would seriously consider buying some fun Italian car instead of getting a Supra. At least, when it fails I would not be disappointed by ****ty customer service and ****ty/unreliable design because I would be expecting it from the get go.
Old 09-08-19, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
I would seriously consider buying some fun Italian car instead of getting a Supra. At least, when it fails I would not be disappointed by ****ty customer service and ****ty/unreliable design because I would be expecting it from the get go.
If that's the case, (you would buy an Italian sports car instead), check out the Fiat 124 Spyder....while they are still available here in the U.S. No, it doesn't have the Supra's power (or high price-tag), but still is a lot of fun to drive...and you can drop the top and have fun in the sun, especially with milder temperatures coming up in the fall. Best of all, unlike other Fiats, except for the Italian-sourced Multi-Air turbo engine, it has Mazda reliability, being essentially a Miata with a different engine and (IMO) better-looking styling, front and rear.

https://www.fiatusa.com/spider.html
Old 09-08-19, 03:16 PM
sunamer
Advanced

That would be one option...although I was thinking more about Alfa Giulia Ti or maybe QV. Spyder 124 is mostly a mazda miata, and that would be another more reliable non-italian possibility.
My point essentially was - I buy a Toyota vehicle if I wanna sacrifice some fun at the alter of well known solid reliability. If reliability becomes questionable, then Toyota would have nothing else to offer and there would be other "more fun" options on the horizon.
Old 09-08-19, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sunamer
That would be one option...although I was thinking more about Alfa Giulia Ti or maybe QV. Spyder 124 is mostly a mazda miata, and that would be another more reliable non-italian possibility.
The Giulia's seats, though, are virtually impossible if you aren't built like a Munchkin....that car was clearly not designed for large Americans. The Fiat 124 is also somewhat cramped inside, but not anywhere near the same extent....and the seats can accommodate wider torsos. And Alfa reliability is considered no better than Fiat's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-08-19 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flowrider
Watch the video in post #1328.

I watched the video. The guy seems to have a decent case on the problems in the Supra's BMW-supplied steering-rack motor...but it also shows the importance of keeping your car stock if you want as few hassles as possible with warranty-coverage. That is something I have cautioned about for years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-08-19 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 06:32 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
As a prior owner of 2 MKIV, I will definitely compare the 2.

It's funny there are so many haters (even in this thread), yet they keep on talking about the MKV
There will always be haters. As a former MKIV owner too, I don't hate the MKV. Better to have another sports car in the market sold by Toyota than just the 86. Haters gonna hate on the 86 too. Sheesh.
Old 09-08-19, 08:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
https://www.youtube.com/embed/RyELYngQeoo

I watched the video. The guy seems to have a decent case on the problems in the Supra's BMW-supplied steering-rack motor...but it also shows the importance of keeping your car stock if you want as few hassles as possible with warranty-coverage. That is something I have cautioned about for years.
While I agree its inconvenient for most expecting to simply walk in, get the issue taken care of, and walk out with a functioning car, I think its not a dead end. If you have the time, the law states that Toyota would have to clearly demonstrate that the tune on the motor, was the direct cause of a steering rack failure (the ytber supposedly deduced that the factory failed to properly grease the assembly during mfg).

But again, dudes part of a tuning company so they could care less, but nonetheless could be pointing out a potential recall.
Old 09-08-19, 08:19 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
There will always be haters. As a former MKIV owner too, I don't hate the MKV. Better to have another sports car in the market sold by Toyota than just the 86. Haters gonna hate on the 86 too. Sheesh.
well why would you hate the mk v? you've experienced the brilliance of 90s toyota and now me and my generation have our bmw steering rack failing to look forward to

btw i think the 86 is awesome and certainly not 'too slow' as long as you properly work the gears, i'd much rather get a BRZ (i have no problem being honest with myself about it being a subaru) and make it fast than get a zupra
Old 09-08-19, 08:21 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

that video brought a warm feeling to me

made me not care as much about getting banned from the toyota subreddit lol
Old 09-08-19, 10:49 PM
sunamer
Advanced

The mode in which that steering rack was failing would be very hard to “explain away” with any engine tuning/upgrade/catastrophic failure. From what I understood (from the video) gears were popping out which disconnected the steering wheel from the rest of the rack, which was possibly due to incorrectly assembled rack assembly at the factory. That is very bad...
If that is remotely true, I would give it no more than 20-30 days before the first class action lawsuit is filed... And if in that time period someone gets killed because of that, that would seal the deal...
The fact that Toyota tech sent away the customers with that problem, could also increase possible punitive damages assigned by the jury to BMW/Toyota (however they decide to split the blame)....
Old 09-08-19, 10:54 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Why would the value of mk4 decrease due to mark 5 (bmw product) being introduced? From what I saw by mk4 fans, mk5 is not what it should be... If that is the case, how could mk5 drop the prices on mk4?

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra