Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 04:21 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
And no seatbelts were “falling out”...
just a bit of hyperbole for comedic effect
Old 10-07-19, 06:43 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

They should remove the seatbelts and sell them to tuners with titles that prohibit licensing for road use. 5-point racing harnesses don't use the original seatbelt mounting points, so there would be no safety issue, and they'd still make great track cars.

Of course, we all know this would never happen.
Old 10-07-19, 07:28 AM
Jaylyons1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
more recalls for the zupra

ideally this car will fail so terribly, that toyota realizes what a mistake they made and gives us the MK V supra we've all been waiting for to save face for ever commissioning this car in the first place
You realize that the Supra would never happen without BMW, correct? Sports cars are a dying breed. BMW approached Toyota about this from the start. If it fails, there will be no replacement. I'll take a co-developed car (yea, Toyota actually had some say in this) over no-car any day.
Old 10-07-19, 02:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jaylyons1
You realize that the Supra would never happen without BMW, correct? Sports cars are a dying breed. BMW approached Toyota about this from the start. If it fails, there will be no replacement. I'll take a co-developed car (yea, Toyota actually had some say in this) over no-car any day.
i'd happily take a sports car, but the supra name should've been allowed to die peacefully, a remnant of another era... not brought back just for toyota to use as a marketing ploy

from what i've seen the zupra is more track oriented than the Z4, totally the opposite of how things should be, so why wouldn't one just get the Z4? two things i loved about driving the MK IV were how comfortable it was and how it was actually somewhat spacious inside, the zupra has neither of those and really isn't even any faster... if toyota is gonna call a car the supra, it had better be something that won't lose to a GT-R if one pulls up next to you on the highway

most of my criticisms of this car just have to do with how it's named lol
Old 10-07-19, 02:20 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

i'd happily take a sports car, but the supra name should've been allowed to die peacefully, a remnant of another era... not brought back just for toyota to use as a marketing ploy

from what i've seen the zupra is more track oriented than the Z4, totally the opposite of how things should be, so why wouldn't one just get the Z4? two things i loved about driving the MK IV were how comfortable it was and how it was actually somewhat spacious inside, the zupra has neither of those and really isn't even any faster... if toyota is gonna call a car the supra, it had better be something that won't lose to a GT-R if one pulls up next to you on the highway

The MKV is in the same class as the Z34, the R35 GT-R class was never the target for Toyota and their partnership. They bench marked the Porsche Cayman that alone should tell you the group they are in. I wish they made a R35/Corvette/NSX fighter but they didn't it is what it is. Don't get hung up on a name so much again I own a 6spd MKIV Supra and I'm not taking it that personal.
Old 10-07-19, 05:43 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by plex
The MKV is in the same class as the Z34, the R35 GT-R class was never the target for Toyota and their partnership.
well clearly... i just wish it was
Old 10-07-19, 05:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Saw the Supra again while getting service today. The faux air dams are super dumb.
Old 10-07-19, 06:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw the Supra again while getting service today. The faux air dams are super dumb.
At least the fake pieces can be replaced and the vents will be functional.
Old 10-07-19, 07:03 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
At least the fake pieces can be replaced and the vents will be functional.
Its quite interesting. During a press run, the lead engineer stated that theres alot of modifications available to end customers or tune shops that toyota designed into the car, however on a recent video by a tuner shop, seems the opposite is true. Dont know if the vents are in the same boat.
Old 10-08-19, 05:18 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

well clearly... i just wish it was
Doesn't matter what they built they couldn't please everyone.
Old 10-08-19, 09:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by plex
Doesn't matter what they built they couldn't please everyone.
trying to please everyone is a terrible approach, the best things are always the result of a few people sharing the same vision working hard toward a common goal

i have a feeling that 'tada-san' or whoever he is really did at least a little bit want to make the MK IV successor, but was met with budgetary restrictions preventing us from getting the car we really want
Old 10-09-19, 03:25 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

The new Supra is like kale. I want to like it. I've tried to like it. But it just ain't happening.
Old 10-09-19, 05:26 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

trying to please everyone is a terrible approach, the best things are always the result of a few people sharing the same vision working hard toward a common goal

i have a feeling that 'tada-san' or whoever he is really did at least a little bit want to make the MK IV successor, but was met with budgetary restrictions preventing us from getting the car we really want
Agreed I think he was limited on his options with Toyota's focus being on other market segments.
Old 10-10-19, 06:26 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Have u even driven a Z4 or a Zupra? I've driven both and they are catered for very different demographics and priced accordingly. If you want Toyco to sell a 120k Supra to beat a similarly priced GTR, keep dreaming.

Why are you still trolling this thread if you're not even remotely interested in a MKV? Weird.
Old 10-10-19, 06:29 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The faux air dams can actually made functional, but I believe Toyco is reserving it for a hipo track model. Case in point, the hood vents can actually funnel hot air out, if they are removed or drilled to (it actually routes to the engine). Likewise the front covered air dam grill. If it is replaced with a open style grill, it would direct air into the intake box.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra