Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 06:39 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

PS - loving my Zupra and it just gets better everyday. Will have a 30 day review soon on it, but wherever I go, only compliment and people gawking...
Old 10-10-19, 07:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430

PS - loving my Zupra and it just gets better everyday. Will have a 30 day review soon on it, but wherever I go, only compliment and people gawking...
Just beautiful! I'm so jealous!
Old 10-10-19, 08:38 PM
Jaylyons1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The faux air dams can actually made functional, but I believe Toyco is reserving it for a hipo track model. Case in point, the hood vents can actually funnel hot air out, if they are removed or drilled to (it actually routes to the engine). Likewise the front covered air dam grill. If it is replaced with a open style grill, it would direct air into the intake box.
This is what people don't seem to realize. There are so many possibilities built into the car from the factory because people like to modify them and Toyota knows this. I'm still on the fence myself as I like to row my own gears, but if I do go with the Supra, I'll be glad that it can be so easily modified.
Old 10-10-19, 09:50 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

Why are you still trolling this thread if you're not even remotely interested in a MKV? Weird.
no trolling has occurred, but to hopefully act as a deterrent for others who might be interested lol

and i'll obviously have to keep dreaming since toyota is apparently happy taking the cheap lazier route these days (aka making the 'smart' business decision, which i guess you can't blame someone for)

also i had previously asked you how much power you plan on having the car make, or do you just plan to leave it stock?
Old 10-11-19, 04:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
no trolling has occurred, but to hopefully act as a deterrent for others who might be interested lol

and i'll obviously have to keep dreaming since toyota is apparently happy taking the cheap lazier route these days (aka making the 'smart' business decision, which i guess you can't blame someone for)

also i had previously asked you how much power you plan on having the car make, or do you just plan to leave it stock?
Guess that was a troll comment but it's a consumer based economy with free choice by consumers. If you're truly upset about this car then boycott other Toyota products and blast Toyota on social media. Maybe write Toyota corporate letters about them no longer getting your support.

Other than that leave consumers that made their own choices alone.
Old 10-11-19, 06:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

The Supra put up a good showing at Car and Driver's Lightning Lap.

Lap Time: 3:01.4

Class: LL2 | Base: $54,945 | As-Tested: $56,140
Power and Weight: 335 hp • 3372 lb • 10.1 lb/hp
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport, F:255/35ZR-19 (96Y) R: 275/35ZR-19 (100Y)

If the Mazda Miata is a pair of training wheels for track newbies, the Toyota Supra is the big-kid bike that hones fine motor skills. It drives with a back-to-basics purity that is easily controlled but not exactly forgiving. With enough torque to spin the car in any corner and handling that's as neutral as Switzerland, the Supra doesn't suffer fools gladly. Either you learn to move your hands and feet in unison or you'll eat turf and tire wall.

The Supra is in its element on every inch of the Grand Course's 4.1 miles, but nowhere more so than on the final third of the track. The infield through Hog Pen is a series of sweeping combinations that could be described as a bunch of freeway on-ramps stitched together. Through those sections, a steering wheel cuts back and forth like a low-frequency pendulum, never really settling in one direction.

Michael SimariCar and Driver

The Toyota skates from track edge to track edge with the deftness of a lighter car. Slightly soft by today's standards, the suspension moves around under duress, but the amount of squish and bounce communicates to the driver how close you are to the limit in a way the steering doesn't. That said, you can consistently steer the Toyota with precise throttle control, a key advantage in this section of the track.

A 3:01.4 lap punches above the Supra's pounds-per-horsepower ratio, landing amid 500-hp giants including the 2006 Corvette Z06 and Viper SRT10. In the 13 years of Lightning Lap, only two cars have run faster with less power: the Ariel Atom 3 and the KTM X-Bow, which are essentially full-size go-karts with fun-size curb weights. And yet, the Supra is just as capable of thrilling your inner child as either of them. Master the Supra's balance and you'll rediscover youthful joy.
Car and Driver
Old 10-11-19, 08:47 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

A Supra stock is not really a Supra....yes it's modified already after 300 miles ,and will hopefully double it's stock output in the near future...

PS - look at the C&D lightning lap between the RC-F track edition and the Zupra. Sure very different vehicles, but one is all Toyco and the other leveraged from BMW. Guess who wins on the track....
Old 10-11-19, 08:59 PM
Jaylyons1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Supra stock is not really a Supra.
Yep. That's the dumbest thing I've read today.
Old 10-12-19, 03:47 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Already discounting them $4000-$5000 around here. I think the C8 stole it's thunder.
Old 10-12-19, 07:33 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

The faux air dams can actually made functional, but I believe Toyco is reserving it for a hipo track model. Case in point, the hood vents can actually funnel hot air out, if they are removed or drilled to (it actually routes to the engine). Likewise the front covered air dam grill. If it is replaced with a open style grill, it would direct air into the intake box.
Toyota tells you the faux air dams can be made functional but they really can’t and even if you do try and make them functional they really don’t add much benefit. There is a video of a guy named Jackie that tracked his car (before he wrecked it) on MKV forum that shows why the functionality of the air dams are BS.

On another note, I have the four door Supra (like how I did that) and I will say the engine is superb and someone has already done 12.08 at 114 bone stock with all season tires, no tricks, etc. Not too shabby. Some have dyno’d close to 400 at the wheels bone stock. when it is rated at 382 hp at the engine.
Old 10-12-19, 08:03 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Toyota tells you the faux air dams can be made functional but they really can’t and even if you do try and make them functional they really don’t add much benefit. There is a video of a guy named Jackie that tracked his car (before he wrecked it) on MKV forum that shows why the functionality of the air dams are BS.

On another note, I have the four door Supra (like how I did that) and I will say the engine is superb and someone has already done 12.08 at 114 bone stock with all season tires, no tricks, etc. Not too shabby. Some have dyno’d close to 400 at the wheels bone stock. when it is rated at 382 hp at the engine.
You got the M340! I thought you were also looking at the Model 3 Performance? I actually haven't seen many M340s around here. I haven't seen a single Supra yet so may not be doing so great. Unfortunately I see mostly X5s and Porsche's here.
Old 10-12-19, 08:45 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You got the M340! I thought you were also looking at the Model 3 Performance? I actually haven't seen many M340s around here. I haven't seen a single Supra yet so may not be doing so great. Unfortunately I see mostly X5s and Porsche's here.
I did get the M340 about 3 months ago. I’m not yet ready for the Model 3 yet although I love the performance. I like the Model S looks better as well as the interior. I’m just not ready for the minimalist interior just yet or the fact that it would take planning to take a road trip which I’m not willing to do right now. The biggest reason for me not getting one is that I am a leaser and don’t want to own the car and the lease rates were abysmal when I priced it out. It is definitely on my radar though in the next few years as new models come out and no other EV manufacturer has my interest as they have a long way to go.
Old 10-12-19, 12:53 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

PS - look at the C&D lightning lap between the RC-F track edition and the Zupra. Sure very different vehicles, but one is all Toyco and the other leveraged from BMW. Guess who wins on the track....
well i haven't driven a zupra yet so i guess i can't comment on the ride quality... but compared to its 'predecessor' the zupra is more cramped and less comfortable inside, and this focus on the track and lap times leads me to believe that the ride will be quite firm and not very grand tour-y like a supra... i'm glad the RC lost, that most likely means it's much more comfortable (like a lexus ought to be)

with the money these zupras are selling for one could basically get a GT-R at that point which is the actual track weapon, but not something you'd be happy spending time in for a several hundred mile journey... the supra however is a great long distance cruiser, an aspect i worry is missing from the zupra
Old 10-12-19, 02:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Already discounting them $4000-$5000 around here. I think the C8 stole it's thunder.
Yep. I mean, how could it not? What area are you in?

I haven't seen one on the road yet.
Old 10-12-19, 02:49 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

well i haven't driven a zupra yet so i guess i can't comment on the ride quality... but compared to its 'predecessor' the zupra is more cramped and less comfortable inside, and this focus on the track and lap times leads me to believe that the ride will be quite firm and not very grand tour-y like a supra... i'm glad the RC lost, that most likely means it's much more comfortable (like a lexus ought to be)

with the money these zupras are selling for one could basically get a GT-R at that point which is the actual track weapon, but not something you'd be happy spending time in for a several hundred mile journey... the supra however is a great long distance cruiser, an aspect i worry is missing from the zupra
I sat in a MKV it wasn't that bad as far as cramped and comfortable, maybe you should go sit in one or drive one vs just going off what you read online. Nothing wrong with a firm ride, most newer sports cars are firm in stock trim, the dampening options do offer some adjustment.

You're comparing a new MKV to a used GTR for $50K? 50K will get you a 2009-2010 GTR with at least 50K miles and hopefully bone stock and not abused. Have you owned a MKIV or driven one?

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra