Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 11:24 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Why do you keep posting here again, seems this car is getting under your skin, so weird though I've seen that reaction from other MKIV owners which I sort of expected but you're just a fan at this point. Would you have bought a $90K in house Toyota Supra with 6MT, 3JZ, 600HP, whatever else you online car designers and engineers want on it?
well people replied to me so i don't wanna be rude and not reply to them lol... but to answer your final question yes, that whole last sentence sounds awesome, i'd have no problem even if the 3JZ was a modified version of the TTV6 for the new LS since an I6 doesn't make as much sense as it did back then
Old 10-13-19, 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
so do you think the ride is nice enough? is it something you'd be happy spending many hours in at a time? and yes i know that there's a thing called dynamic suspension, my car has it... but even in the airmatic DC sports 2 setting it's still far from something you'd want to take on a track, and i worry that the zupra's comfort setting will still be too track prioritized
Your car with dynamic suspension is extremely old, and its an air suspension which is totally different. Technology has improved in 15 years.

If you're that concerned about the ride, go drive one.

I do agree that the hate you're posting about the car is annoying, and has become trolling.
Old 10-13-19, 01:48 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
If $90k is ok with you, buy the Zupra and put in a built 2JZ then? Realistically, if they built such a car it'd be more like $120k+ (just look at the RC-F track edition as reference). But hey, I can always kick, scream, and pout that the new Tesla roadster isn't offered at 60k either, I guess....

So are Bimmer owners butthurt that the Zupra is a better Bimmer then they have now, save for 100k+ models?
I would never spend $60k for a Supra and throw a different engine in, I would want it to come from the factory the way it was meant to be. I personally don’t think it makes sense to do that, it’s just not my thing although I like modifying cars with the engine it came with.

I don’t know if Bimmer owners are butthurt because I don’t know anyone that actually bought a Z4 and I haven’t seen one on the road. I am happy with the engine my sedan has though, can’t complain there.
Old 10-13-19, 06:05 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Your car with dynamic suspension is extremely old, and its an air suspension which is totally different. Technology has improved in 15 years.

If you're that concerned about the ride, go drive one.

I do agree that the hate you're posting about the car is annoying, and has become trolling.
there's no 'hate' (at least not recently) just skepticism and mourning... i've also only been addressing people's replies to me saying the seat belt recall is good news

and of course suspension technology has improved, which is why i've asked mr. st430 how he feels about the ride and whether or not the fancy CVSAe works as advertised
Old 10-14-19, 04:28 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

well that's good to hear, i was genuinely under the impression it was impossible to do so... when effspot tried to buy one some issues always arose and the whole 'car's not here yet' thing started
Welcome to 2019, YouTubers post vids for views plain and simple. It's an income stream for some, no different then regular media the more views you get the more money so of course they title and have specific content. Look at how many videos are titled "First MKV Supra ........" If you rely on YouTube for information you're getting their version of it. Of course it's good clickbait to post about not finding the cars at msrp, it feeds right into people like you that are skeptical and mourning about the creation of this car.

well people replied to me so i don't wanna be rude and not reply to them lol... but to answer your final question yes, that whole last sentence sounds awesome, i'd have no problem even if the 3JZ was a modified version of the TTV6 for the new LS since an I6 doesn't make as much sense as it did back then
Can always choose not to reply, ok I was just asking a lot of people talk down this car yet when you dig deep they can't buy a $100K car.
Old 10-14-19, 04:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

just a bit of hyperbole for comedic effect
... ideally this car will fail so terribly, that toyota realizes what a mistake they made and gives us the MK V supra we've all been waiting for to save face for ever commissioning this car in the first place
i'd happily take a sports car, but the supra name should've been allowed to die peacefully, a remnant of another era... not brought back just for toyota to use as a marketing ploy

from what i've seen the zupra is more track oriented than the Z4, totally the opposite of how things should be, so why wouldn't one just get the Z4? two things i loved about driving the MK IV were how comfortable it was and how it was actually somewhat spacious inside, the zupra has neither of those and really isn't even any faster... if toyota is gonna call a car the supra, it had better be something that won't lose to a GT-R if one pulls up next to you on the highway

most of my criticisms of this car just have to do with how it's named lol
no trolling has occurred, but to hopefully act as a deterrent for others who might be interested lol

and i'll obviously have to keep dreaming since toyota is apparently happy taking the cheap lazier route these days (aka making the 'smart' business decision, which i guess you can't blame someone for)

well i haven't driven a zupra yet so i guess i can't comment on the ride quality... but compared to its 'predecessor' the zupra is more cramped and less comfortable inside, and this focus on the track and lap times leads me to believe that the ride will be quite firm and not very grand tour-y like a supra... i'm glad the RC lost, that most likely means it's much more comfortable (like a lexus ought to be)

with the money these zupras are selling for one could basically get a GT-R at that point which is the actual track weapon, but not something you'd be happy spending time in for a several hundred mile journey... the supra however is a great long distance cruiser, an aspect i worry is missing from the zupra
i have sat in the zupra, and i've driven a MK IV (turbo)... also people like actually have paid 6 figures for a zupra, if the msrp was the price you could actually get the car for then it'd be pretty good value but i simply couldn't see paying the mark ups dealers are asking

the very first time i got into the zupra i accidentally bumped my head on the roof (after l0ling at me my former coworker tom was forced to concede that he previously had as well), and in the multiple MK IVs i've sat in i never did so that's gotta mean something lol

believe me i'm careful not to make serious comments on pure speculation, but all my years of experience make me think that the zupra isn't something you'd want to take out for a long drive... i'd love to be wrong about that though
there's no 'hate' (at least not recently) just skepticism and mourning...
About that last post, we’ve all seen quite enough of your ‘skepticism and mourning’. Keep it positive going forward or leave this thread.
Old 10-14-19, 12:45 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by plex
Welcome to 2019, YouTubers post vids for views plain and simple. It's an income stream for some, no different then regular media the more views you get the more money so of course they title and have specific content. Look at how many videos are titled "First MKV Supra ........" If you rely on YouTube for information you're getting their version of it. Of course it's good clickbait to post about not finding the cars at msrp, it feeds right into people like you that are skeptical and mourning about the creation of this car.
i didn't just look at the video title you know... i literally watched as he scrolled through dozens of zupra listings almost none of which were advertised at msrp, and basically every dealer tried some dealership bs with him

i can't speak for the other youtubers who undoubtedly are guilty of doing what you described, but this guy at least was pretty rich before youtube and has plenty of other rich friends... you can skip like the first two minutes but i'll leave the video here and you can decide if i'm feeding into the clickbait

Old 10-14-19, 01:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

that video is from july when the car was launched i believe, so it's irrelevant. and that video was obviously produced quickly to be clickbait.
Old 10-14-19, 03:11 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

i didn't just look at the video title you know... i literally watched as he scrolled through dozens of zupra listings almost none of which were advertised at msrp, and basically every dealer tried some dealership bs with him

i can't speak for the other youtubers who undoubtedly are guilty of doing what you described, but this guy at least was pretty rich before youtube and has plenty of other rich friends... you can skip like the first two minutes but i'll leave the video here and you can decide if i'm feeding into the clickbait
I refuse to click on that click bait and feed the views and income for that poster, with that being said did all the LE's sell for that price?

For those that aren't fans of this car they can find the specific YouTube videos to feed their dislike anything from the steering rack issue to the recall of the 7 cars identified with welding issues and you guessed it the MSRP.
Old 10-14-19, 09:12 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Hmm, have sponsorship for a wrap...what color screams Supra?

Am think Royal Sapphire Pearl (like my old MKIV before)....
Old 10-15-19, 03:54 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

^^^^RSP and QS are my favourite MKIV Colours I say go with RSP.
Old 10-17-19, 05:29 PM
ST430
Pole Position

RSP 2 it is then!

PS - first 9 second Zupra today, 3 months in it's release!

Facebook Post
Old 10-20-19, 07:48 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430

Hmm, have sponsorship for a wrap...what color screams Supra?

Am think Royal Sapphire Pearl (like my old MKIV before)....
Beautiful, Makes me miss my Supra. I had one with the Imperial Jade Mica color, but always found the Anthracite Metallic color to be very unique looking in person.
Old 10-20-19, 11:49 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nicedude
Beautiful, Makes me miss my Supra. I had one with the Imperial Jade Mica color, but always found the Anthracite Metallic color to be very unique looking in person.
Funny you say that, as my first MKIV was actually a 93' Anthracite TT 6speed. I never really got attached to that color, especially with all the MSB talk before lol....Quicksilver is probably my 2nd favorite color, but it is kind of demure for a Supra....
Old 10-25-19, 12:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

First salvaged supra:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/30652/...alvage-auction

but wait theres more, the actual video:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/30662/...-met-its-maker

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra