Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Loses Its Luster in J.D. Power Quality Study

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-17, 09:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogglo
That's some funny stuff
Would you buy a car with a broken cup holder?
Would you buy a car that the seat does not move especially when that is one of the first feature you use and probably use everyday.

ONE MAN FOOD IS ANOTHER MAN POISON.
PERSON A brakes are squeaking I DIY took them babies out applied brake grease put them back noise gone no complain. PERSON B goes to dealer complain survey problem brake noise.
What you see as a problem in a Lexus might not be a problem in a KIA expectations are different.
I REST MY CASE
I REST MY CASE AGAIN
I agree with you in theory--the cupholder in the LS430 is awful, and having bought my car used, it was broken on the driver side, and, since it's poor design with the arms being too weak (although give them credit for making the assy disappear when not in use), absolutely the exact steps to fix are here on the forum. So, I paid a somewhat ridiculous eBay price of $132 shipped, for new OE, and replaced it myself. The list price on the part is $217.13--that's a joke.

So in theory, I should not have bought a car in this condition, nor should anyone have bought a 2001-2006 LS430 new. Yet, 15 years ago, the LS won many accolades. I'm just saying it's not a bad idea to take these surveys with a grain of salt. On a new car, the cupholder would have broken the very first time someone inserts a large bottled water, or, hits their arm on the water in the wrong direction

edit retake the bar exam lol
Old 06-22-17, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogglo
That's some funny stuff
Would you buy a car with a broken cup holder?
I couldn't care less about cup holders.....broken or otherwise. I keep my eyes on the road, not my drink LOL.
Old 06-22-17, 10:01 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I couldn't care less about cup holders.....broken or otherwise. I keep my eyes on the road, not my drink LOL.
this is the sort of thing that typifies these types of surveys, though. broken cup holder? hate the brand!!
Old 06-22-17, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
this is the sort of thing that typifies these types of surveys, though. broken cup holder? hate the brand!!
Who said they hate the brand? Theres a different survey about brand image and acceptance. The point is that they had some sort of issue with some aspect of their new vehicle. What should customers do, ignore issues they have because they like the brand.

I clearly love Lexus, but I have issues also.

As for cupholders, Lexus has always struggled with cupholders lol
Old 06-22-17, 10:12 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Who said they hate the brand? Theres a different survey about brand image and acceptance. The point is that they had some sort of issue with some aspect of their new vehicle. What should customers do, ignore issues they have because they like the brand.

I clearly love Lexus, but I have issues also.

As for cupholders, Lexus has always struggled with cupholders lol
i was being facetious -- clearly went over your head.
Old 06-22-17, 10:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i was being facetious -- clearly went over your head.
It did lol

Happens on the internets
Old 06-22-17, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would hope the E Class would be smoother, its a much more expensive car than the ES.
Old 06-22-17, 10:34 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by feddery
Its not, its mechanical and electrical issues in the new redesigned models which I had a few , so did my friend.
Bad thing is, they refuse to fix some problems, claiming its normal, thats the bit problem , no more Lexus for me

i have a hard time believing that mechanical and electrical issues are prevalent within lexus vehicles. i may stand corrected, but i think you and your friend are isolated cases in that regard.
Old 06-22-17, 10:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I feel the same, and so I was going to do what another forum member did and posted pics of, and that is to cut 1/2 to 3/4 of a dollar store plastic cupholder out, and screw it into the Lexus factory cupholder. Cheap $1.06 fix. My buddy said please, don't do that, the LS430 is a nice car, just spend the $132 and fix it right....he was serious.....and I listened
Old 06-22-17, 10:46 AM
2008GS
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I too am concerned about the latest drop in ratings for Lexus and Toyota; they have always been at the top! Now Lexus is rated "below average" and I believe this is a "first" for Lexus. I do not understand how they could have dropped below average; are there any major issues with the new ones that you guys are aware of? I do not think these ratings are "tweaked" by Powers. I trust them as being un-biased. To me, this is a sad day for our beloved marque.
Old 06-22-17, 10:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I would hope the E Class would be smoother, its a much more expensive car than the ES.
hopefully that friend skipped the 4 Matic and went RWD, that should be a MAJOR improvement over an ES, which is FWD....although leaking exhausts should not be considered normal by Lexus.....I always wondered about the Camry kink, why they would have the exhaust bend like that somewhere near the RR axle....when driving behind it looks like it's going to scrape the pavement
Old 06-22-17, 10:48 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2008GS
I too am concerned about the latest drop in ratings for Lexus and Toyota; they have always been at the top! Now Lexus is rated "below average" and I believe this is a "first" for Lexus. I do not understand how they could have dropped below average; are there any major issues with the new ones that you guys are aware of? I do not think these ratings are "tweaked" by Powers. I trust them as being un-biased. To me, this is a sad day for our beloved marque.
take it with a grain of salt. it's listed below vw and that's telling.
Old 06-22-17, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i have a hard time believing that mechanical and electrical issues are prevalent within lexus vehicles. i may stand corrected, but i think you and your friend are isolated cases in that regard.
I don't believe there are widespread mechanical and electrical problems, I think that they're likely trim problems, rattles, QC such as wind noise and unbalanced wheels etc that are dragging this down.
Old 06-22-17, 10:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2008GS
If this is what matters to you, then a Porsche or BMW is justified. This survey ranks it the equivalent of Hyundai, and ahead of Honda. I think common sense should prevail, but all kidding aside BMW is significantly above Honda, Toyota, and lowly Lexus, if based upon this survey.
Old 06-22-17, 10:56 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

I don't believe there are widespread mechanical and electrical problems, I think that they're likely trim problems, rattles, QC such as wind noise and unbalanced wheels etc that are dragging this down.
i agree. qc issues are dragging lexus down.

Quick Reply: Lexus Loses Its Luster in J.D. Power Quality Study