Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Fuel here is ~ 2.30-2.60/gal regular, $2.80-3.40/gal premium depending on where you are.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well then, if that's the case, then why do people continue to buy those things at gas stations instead of at grocery stores? Make the transaction at the gas station what it's supposed to be....filling up the gas tank, not one's stomach.
Is nobody free from the judgement? Who decides what the transaction at the gas station is "supposed to be"? You?! Gas stations have sold things other than gas for many decades. Be happy they do, because as others said if they didn't you'd be paying WAY more for gas.

In any event, why do people buy things at gas stations other than gas? Not everybody is retired with limitless free time. Most of us work, and have family obligations and anything we can do to streamline errands a little helps. If I can jump into the convenience store while getting gas and grab a drink, or a gallon of milk, or some bread or something and avoid having to go to the grocery store that gives me another 30-45 minutes I get to spend with my kids before they go to bed. You might be surprised to know I've transacted business at many gas stations that did not involve the purchase of any gas. How improper of me!

Also as noted above, NJ is not the only state that doesn't allow self service fuel pumping, Oregon does not either.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-26-17 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 05:48 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

we lucky californians get to pay $15 more per fill up.

That's an extra $450+ per year for our luxury gas
Old 06-26-17, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Fuel here is ~ 2.30-2.60/gal regular, $2.80-3.40/gal premium depending on where you are.
MD, overall, is a little more expense than VA. I paid $2.25 today for Shell 87 octane, without a discount....and, next time, I'll also have the Giant Food discount.

Also as noted above, NJ is not the only state that doesn't allow self service fuel pumping, Oregon does not either.
If Oregon outlawed self-serve, that must be something fairly recent. For years, NJ was the only holdout. Wouldn't surprise me, though.....with the political direction the state has been going in recent years.

If I can jump into the convenience store while getting gas and grab a drink, or a gallon of milk, or some bread or something and avoid having to go to the grocery store that gives me another 30-45 minutes I get to spend with my kids before they go to bed.
I'd agree for necessary things like milk, bread, etc.....but most of the Gas-Marts I've seen are basically just junk food, candy, and sodas....stuff you probably wouldn't want your kids getting used to wolfing down anyway. If you have a Gas-Mart you like that sells good stuff that your family needs, then fine....the comment wasn't directed at you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-26-17 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If Oregon outlawed self-serve, that must be something fairly recent. For years, NJ was the only holdout. Wouldn't surprise me, though.....with the political direction the state has been going in recent years.
You just remember incorrectly. Oregon hasn't allowed self serve gas since 1951.

Read up: http://mentalfloss.com/article/18812...and-new-jersey

I'd agree for necessary things like milk, bread, etc.....but most of the Gas-Marts I've seen are basically just junk food, candy, and sodas....stuff you probably wouldn't want your kids getting used to wolfing down anyway. If you have a Gas-Mart you like that sells good stuff that your family needs, then fine....the comment wasn't directed at you.
I will choose what to buy to consume and for my family to consume, thank you. Sometimes what you want is junk food or a soda. Grocery stores sell them too. My kids eat junk food from time to time.,,it's not going to kill them.

Ever been to a Sheetz, or a WaWa? Or a Royal Farms? It's basically a little grocery store, and that's rapidly becoming the norm since gas stations can't stay alive just selling gas.
Old 06-26-17, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You just remember incorrectly. Oregon hasn't allowed self serve gas since 1951.
Most places in 1951 didn't have self-serve at all. A guy in a uniform, hat, and a little bow tie LOL came out and pumped your gas. in fact, when I grew up in the 1960s, few places had it. It (later) because a cost-cutting measure.

People, back then, though, took pride in their work. Attendents were more careful, they pumped the gas in correctly, washed your windshield, checked the oil (though sometimes it took the oil time to settle and get a good reading) and didn't bang up the paint with the nozzle or (if possible) let drip gas down the fenders. Also (and I myself remember this from my own high-school and college job in a gas station), every car, back then, it seemed, had a different system of refills. Some had the ubiquitous filler-doors of today, some were behind the rear fins/taillights, some were built into the rear bumper, and, on early VW air-cooled Beetles, you had to raise the front hood and fill the tank up inside just ahead of the dash/windshield. So the attendant had to remember where all those different trap-doors were LOL.

I will choose what to buy to consume and for my family to consume, thank you. Sometimes what you want is junk food or a soda. Grocery stores sell them too. My kids eat junk food from time to time.,,it's not going to kill them.
Like I said, my comment generally wasn't directed at you or your family. I was referring to kids making a habit of it, not just occasionally, like you said.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-26-17 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 06:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Most places in 1951 didn't have self-serve at all. A guy in a uniform, hat, and a little bow tie LOL came out and pumped your gas.
But it wasn't illegal is the point, it was made illegal in OR and NJ around that time in response to the burgeoning enterprise of self serve gas.

Like I said, my comment generally wasn't directed at you or your family. I was referring to kids making a habit of it, not just occasionally, like you said.
Just try and be a little bit less judgemental. If people want to buy junk food at gas stations, it's not "wrong" and it's really none of your business.
Old 06-26-17, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just try and be a little bit less judgemental. If people want to buy junk food at gas stations, it's not "wrong" and it's really none of your business.
OK, fine.....but, of course, we all discuss things here on Car Chat that, to some extent, aren't other people's business....like how much we pay for our cars. Some of that is simply the result of social media, and people seeking other opinions.
Old 06-26-17, 09:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I will say the local "Twice Dailys", the local Shell affiliate, around TN have great coffee, IMO way better than Starbucks and A LOT cheaper.
Old 06-26-17, 09:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I will say the local "Twice Dailys", the local Shell affiliate, around TN have great coffee, IMO way better than Starbucks and A LOT cheaper.

Better than Starbucks French Roast? It had better be good LOL.