Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed-Review: 2017/2018 Kia Sorento

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default MM Condensed-Review: 2017/2018 Kia Sorento

A Condensed-Review of the 2017/2018 Kia Sorento

(2017) http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sorento/2017

(2018) http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sorento/2018

IN A NUTSHELL: This is DEFINITELY not your 1990s Kia.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Equinox/Traverse (depending on version) Dodge Durango, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Nissan Murano, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mazda CX-9, VW Atlas, Audi Q3, and upper-line versions of the Mitsubishi Outlander.

(Note: Some of these competitors have third-row seats, some just second-rows)

OVERVIEW:

This review is done primarily for the benefit of an old friend of mine (a one-time colleague at my church) who is considering a replacement, in the near future, for his long-standing Toyota Highlander. I feel that, in a number of ways, though it is not the only possibility, a Sorento might (?) be a good replacement....though, of course, there is no such thing as a perfect vehicle, and every vehicle is a compromise to some extent. So, while I looked one over, I thought I'd write it up and share it with my forum-colleagues and others on my review-mailing list. .

Since this is a rather short review by my standards, I won't go deeply into the vehicle's history, as Kia's poor designs and indifferent quality control in the 1990s were quite well-known in the American market. What's also (generally) known, today, of course, is that those days are long-gone. Today's Kias are so well-built that they now rank at or near the top of many quality-survey lists....including those from Consumer Reports and J.D. Power. (A number of folks today still doubt, until they go and examine the vehicles for themselves).

The Sorento, by today's standards, is considered a mid-size, unibody (crossover), car-based SUV, as most American-market SUV's today are. SUV's, today, unlike in the past when they were primarily off-road machines, are essentially raised, all-weather station wagons used mostly for commuting, suburban/shopping use, and hauling kids around...indeed, they have at least partially taken over that role from minivans. That's why most of them, today, are car-based rather than truck-based.

The current third-generation Sorento, introduced in 2014, has been in production for the American market several years now.....and no major changes are planned for the 2018 model. For 2017, Sorentos come in seven different versions......L, LX, LX V6, EX, EX V6, SX V6, and SXL V6. List prices run from $25,600 to $44,100, depending on trim-model. One transmission (a Sport-Shift 6-speed automatic) is offered, as are three different engines, depending the trim-model.....a 2.4L in-line four of 178 HP and 185 ft-lbs. of torque (L, LX versions), an in-line 2.0L turbo four of 240 HP and 260 ft-lbs. of torque (EX version), and what would be my choice.....the 3.3L non-turbo V6 of 290 HP and 252 ft-lbs. of torque, which, of course, comes in all of the V6 versions. FWD (Front-Wheel-Drive) comes standard in all versions, with AWD (All-Wheel-Drive) optional in all but base L versions. I'm surprised that Kia offers AWD on the 2.4L LX version, as that's not a lot of engine for a vehicle this large and heavy, and AWD adds more weight and drag for the engine...but, that's the way it is marketed.No major changes in specs or equipment is planned for 2018, although a couple of the trim-levels will be re-named. There will also, of course, be a minor price-increase for 2018, though factory incentives/discounts may cover part or all of that.

I looked and sat in at several of the 2017 interiors, but concentrated most of the review (and the test-drive) on the EX V6 version, one that I thought was reasonably-equipped and priced for the money. It was a nice attractive shade of dark reddish/brown (with a touch of Black Cherry), with beige leather interior and polished-wood trim-inserts. Quite a classy vehicle for 37K.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2017 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6.

BASE PRICE: $35,100

OPTIONS:

EX V6 Premium Package: $1200

Cargo Net: $50

Cargo Cover: $150 (this, IMO, should be standard, not an option)

Carpeted Floor Mats (7-seat): $155

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $895 (reasonable for a vehicle this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $37,550

DRIVETRAIN: AWD with locking differential, Transversely-mounted 3.3L V6, 290 HP @ 6400 RPM, Torque 252 Ft-lbs. @ 5300 RPM, 6-speed Sport-Shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 18 City, 25 Highway, 20 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Sangria

INTERIOR: Stone Beige Leather

PLUSSES:

10/100 and 5/50 standard warranty one of the longest in the industry.

Well-built inside and out, with good materials.

Excellent fit/finish inside and out.

Smooth, refined powertrain.

Smooth ride by SUV standards.

Decent handling and steering response by SUV standards.

Decent underhood layout.

Well-designed displays/controls/buttons.

Comfortably-shaped front seats (except for the padding).

Relatively good interior space efficiency.

Attractive wood-tone trim and padded-surfaces inside.

Good outward visibility, except for the thick D-pillars.

MINUSES:

Noticeable road noise on coarse road surfaces.

Brake pedal not ideally located for some feet.

Very limited paint-color choices on both the low and top-end models (much more choice on mid-range versions).

Temporary spare tire in awkward location.

10/100 drivetrain warranty not transferable, upon resale, outside of the immediate family (reverts to 5/50).

Seat cushions a little too firm for my tastes.

Tight leg room in back with some seat-adjustments.

Sensitive Safety-Nanny buzzers can get irksome.

EXTERIOR:

The Sorento's exterior, by today's SUV standards, is somewhat on the conservative side....meaning a basic two-box design with good outward visibility, except through the rather thick, slanted D-pillars. Its styling, though, definitely places it, visually, in the Kia family. Up front is the now-familiar Kia "Tiger" grille and semi-slant headlights. Under the headlights are the square Kia LED-displays. The paint job is not quite Lexus or Audi-mirror-smooth, but generally better than average. The paint-color-marketing on both the base and top-line SXL models, though, is a mess, where you can only get three or four neutral shades....any true colors are limited to the middle-line models. On the EX model I tested, I liked the dark-radish brown Sangria color. Base models have a black-only interior color, others have more of a choice. (more on the interior below). The sheet metal is generally solid-feeling, and all of the exterior trim is nicely done and securely-attached. The doors have a reasonably solid feel and shut with a mild thud, but not as solid-feeling as on the smaller-brother Sportage. As with many new vehicles today, there are no body-side moldings to help protect the paint from door-dings.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the reasonably-solid hood, and a nice large engine compartment houses the transversely-mounted 3.L V6. A pair of nice gas struts, instead of a manual prop-rod, holds up the hood, which also has a nice insulation pad underneath. One can tell that the compartment was designed for the V6, more than the smaller 2.4L and 2.0L turbo fours. The engine fits in pretty well, except, as is often the case with today's engines, a large plastic engine-cover blocks top-access. Access to some of the other components is not bad, though. The battery is to the right, up front, reasonably accessible, but some small covers have to be removed to access the terminals. Dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are readily accessible, though the radiator cap is down inside an odd-looking hole in the front-plastic trim.

INTERIOR:

The interior of the Sorento is not only quite pleasant (with a couple of small exceptions), but, in general, quite well-crafted, with excellent materials and fit.finish. I could only find a few minor complaints. The seat-cushion padding (as win many Japanese and Korean-designed vehicles) is a little too firm for my tastes (I like Cush-O-matic seats), but the design and counter of the seat itself was quite comfortable, and fit my (big) back and rump almost perfectly (few seats do). The stereo-sound quality in the EX version was not quite what I expected, but close. And, leg room in the second-row seat could be tight, depending on where the front and second-row seats were adjusted...both rows adjust fore and aft. The third-row seating is not suitable for most adults, but that is pretty much normal for all but the largest SUVs.

But the rest of the interior, IMO, is virtually impeccable. Nice padded-surfaces cover the dash and most of the upper-door panels, along with attractive polished wood-tone inserts. SX versions (which my EX lacked ) have a polished-wood-insert steering wheel rim. Virtually all of the interior hardware is of good quality and solid-feeling. The control/gauge/button layout is generally well-done and easy to read. The genuine-leather seat upholstery on the EX model (if a little firmly-padded) seems of high quality and well-stitched. The buttons and controls are all easy to use, though the video screen, like most screens, can be a little complex. There is adequate headroom, front and rear, for tall persons my size (6" 2") and a baseball cap....though I may (?) be losing a little of my former height as I get older and my spine ages (which is normal). There are not only left/right individual heat/air-conditioning controls for the front-row seat, but for the second-row and even the third-row seats as well......Kia didn't spare the details in this vehicle. Two or three different interior colors are available on all but the base L version, which only comes in black cloth.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

On the EX V6 version I had, the rear hatch opened and shut with a hands-free power system. Inside, the good space efficiency gave a nice roomy cargo area (especially in height), though there wasn't very much front-to-back room for cargo behind the third-row seats when they were up. Both the third-row and second-row seats, of course, can drop down for added cargo space if needed, and that leads to some pretty cavernous room, though obviously not up to the level of, say, a Chevy Suburban or long-wheelbase Ford Expedition. A nice, well-made, pull-shade cargo cover assembly covers the cargo from thieves and prying eyes...Kia charges $150 for it as an option, but IMO it should be standard equipment. A cargo-net ($50), at the rear, helps secure and hold in some bags/packages. The cargo area itself is not particularly well-finished, but a nice grade of black carpet lines the floor and pull-up panel, which reveals a sub-compartment and the jacking tools underneath for the temporary spare tire. The temporary spare itself is located, pickup-truck style, underneath the vehicle, forward of the rear bumper, in a somewhat awkward location, though a couple of screw-assembly slots inside the trunk, which you can untwist with a quarter or other large coin, releases the tire itself for you.

ON THE ROAD:

Driving the Sorento is also generally a pleasant experience, though I thought the wheel-wells could have been a little better-insulated against road noise. Start up the 3.3L V6 with an electronic fob and a START/STOP button. The V6 comes to life and (quietly) idles with sewing-machine refinement. On the road, due to the size/weight of this vehicle and the added weight/drag of the full-time AWD, the V6 is no dragster, but power is adequate for virtually all the normal driving I did with fairly light loads and level-to-moderate grades. The 6-speed automatic transmission, in either full-automatic or manual-mode operated and shifted seamlessly...like many of the old Buick and Cadillac transmissions I remember from decades ago. The shift-lever is a simple fore/aft PRNDL...no complex electronic actions or motions that are frustrating to get used to. An electronic switch (which should not be used on dry pavement) locks the center-differential for better traction on extra-slippery-surfaces or very mild off-road conditions...but this vehicle, of course is not a serious off-roader like a Jeep Wrangler.

The ride quality is quite smooth over bumps, especially by SUV standards (EX models have tall 65-series that are absorbent of road-shocks, and transmit little of those shocks into the cabin). Steering response is fairly quick by SUV standards, and the steering action itself is as smooth as butter, although, as with many electric power-steering units, there isn't a lot of actual road-feel. Body roll on sharp cornering was moderate, but tone expected with the softish ride and suspension. Wind noise was well-controlled, but some road and tire noise did get through to the cabin, especially on grainy or porous surfaces (Road engineers know that porous, grainy surfaces cause road noise, but they use them for safety and anti-skid reasons). As with other Kias (and a number off other upmarket vehicles, period) I found the Lane-Drift feature annoying....the beeper goes off, and a green dash-light flashes almost constantly if you drift so much as an inch towards a painted line in the road. The feature can be turned off, but, as usual, I had a lot of things to check on the review, and didn't have time to screw around with all of the buttons or in the Owners' Manual trying to turn it off. The brakes were generally well-done and effective, though the pedal was not particularly well-located for big size-15 Men's-clown-shoes like mine to quickly go from gas-pedal to brake without having to carefully lift the foot first to avoid hitting the rim of the brake pedal.

THE VERDICT:

This vehicle, IMO, is an excellent competitor to the Toyota Highlander (the vehicle my friend is probably most likely to be comparing it to)...and also competes well against most of the other mid-sized car-based SUVs in the American market. The 10/100 drivetrain and 5/50 bumper-to-bumper warranties are among the best in the business, though only the 5/60 part is transferable if you re-sell the vehicle outside of your immediate family (father, mother, brother, sister, etc...)...that's a quirk that Hyundai and Kia have had for some time. It is well-crafted inside and out.....those who remember, as I do, the junk Kia and Hyundai produced in the 1990s will be astounded by the difference 15 or 20 years made. It's not perfect, though.....for my tastes, I'd want a little more insulation in the wheel wells, softer padding in the seats, and a little better color-choices, particularly on the low and high-end versions. But, as it is, it is well-worth the money it costs. Anyone interested in a new Sorento has my blessing.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-17 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-27-17, 07:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

We have looked at these multiple times. We ended up going with the Highlander but still I have a lot of respect for this Kia. Great cars.
Old 06-27-17, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
We have looked at these multiple times. We ended up going with the Highlander but still I have a lot of respect for this Kia. Great cars.

I agree......hard to go wrong with a Highlander. Always was, and still is, a safe buy. But a big selling point on the Kia is the warranty, as long as the car stays in the immediate family.

I also think my friend (I won't use his name here for privacy-reasons) may just be getting a little tired of Toyotas. He had a Camry for a number of years, then another Toyota (I can't remember which one), and then a Highlander. The brand just might (?) be getting a little long in the tooth for him.
Old 06-28-17, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anybody on CL own or lease a current-generation Sorento? Wonder what your thoughts are.
Old 07-18-17, 01:47 PM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Do the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat?
Old 07-18-17, 03:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm happy how far Kia (and Hyundai) have come. A great package for the price, and some cool looking cars including the lustyworthy Stinger. Kia's design for me however has never caught my fancy enough to warrant considering one. I prefer competitors from VW, GM, Honda, Toyota etc. I do like Hyundai styling. Glad you enjoyed it and I'm sure your brother loves his Kia as well
Old 07-18-17, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bowser
Do the 2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat?
Welcome to CL as a first-time poster.

Here's a shot of the fold-down cargo area.....you can see for yourself.

Old 07-18-17, 04:54 PM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

^ Thanks!

It seems like the 2nd row seats dont fold as flat as my CT200's. I want it as flat as a pancake. I appreciate you

edit to add: btw, I'm considering this to replace our 2007 Honda Pilot. That one seats 8 but the 2nd row seats dont fold flat

Last edited by bowser; 07-18-17 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-18-17, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Kia's design for me however has never caught my fancy enough to warrant considering one.
i think the optima on the road looks great...

i think the forte looks great...

Old 07-18-17, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It was high on the list when I bought my Verano....just a couple points down. I got irked, though, when Kia dropped the EX Turbo version, which combined the higher-grunt turbo engine with the softer standard suspension. The top-line SX turbo, with the sport suspension and wheels, had a noticeably stiffer ride.
Old 07-18-17, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

and then there's the cadenza, which is a really nice pretty luxurious sedan...
Old 07-19-17, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

and then there's the cadenza, which is a really nice pretty luxurious sedan...
I chose the Lacrosse over the Cadenza for several reasons (among them its ride/seating comfort and refinement)...but I have to admit that, even though the Cadenza wasn't quite as silky-smooth or quiet on the road, its overall assembly quality was as good or better than that of the Lacrosse, and the interior hardware and material-quality (as with virtually all Kia products) was noticeably more solid. And the Cadenza's shifter is more traditional and intuitive.
Old 07-19-17, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bowser
I appreciate you
Thanks, but may I also recommend a reviewer who I consider a lot better than I am?....Alex Dykes, from Alex on Autos.

Here, he checks out the 2016 Sorento....the 2017 is the same vehicle. His videos are fairly long, so it will take some time to watch the whole thing.

Old 07-19-17, 08:29 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I chose the Lacrosse over the Cadenza for several reasons (among them its ride/seating comfort and refinement)...but I have to admit that, even though the Cadenza wasn't quite as silky-smooth or quiet on the road, its overall assembly quality was as good or better than that of the Lacrosse, and the interior hardware and material-quality (as with virtually all Kia products) was noticeably more solid. And the Cadenza's shifter is more traditional and intuitive.
When I sat in the Cadenza at the Toronto Autoshow, I did not like it. Once I had adjusted the driver's seat to suit me, I found its space too tight (claustrophobic in fact). I am not short and neither am I stocky, but I hate the sitting-in-a-bathtub feeling, so once I had adjusted the driver's seat high enough for me to feel in control of the car, I found the A-pillar, and the windshield header and sunvisors to be much too close (almost touching my head).

I have sat in other Kia and Hyundai products, and while not as bad, they too had a beltline that was too high for my tastes.
Old 07-19-17, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

i think the forte looks great...
They remind me of bugs. I'll take a Sonata and Elantra respectively over these.

Quick Reply: MM Condensed-Review: 2017/2018 Kia Sorento