Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus 5GS spy ****s???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 02:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I bet it will be called a GS450???
Because GS400 wouldn't be enough considering that it's a 3.5 TT.
While GS500 would be too much, and too close to LS500.
Hence will probably be a GS450?
Lexus tends to give GS a "detuned" version of LS V8, so I wouldn't be surprized if they detuned the 3.5 TT.

However, GS300t 2.0t, and GS500h, and you're spot on; unlikely to be anything else...
My reasoning behind the GS400 moniker is because the competition from BMW and Mercedes use the 540i and E400 (Benz outside US) monikers respectively. I can also see your view as to why '450' could be used. 500 could also make sense too just because its the same scheme on the 2018 LS. The GS460 might have been detuned, but that didn't stop them from keeping the same 460 moniker as the LS. Whatever it ends up being for 2019, it'll be a larger number than the 2018 GS350.
Old 07-21-17, 08:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I bet it will be called a GS450???
Because GS400 wouldn't be enough considering that it's a 3.5 TT.
While GS500 would be too much, and too close to LS500.
Hence will probably be a GS450?
Lexus tends to give GS a "detuned" version of LS V8, so I wouldn't be surprized if they detuned the 3.5 TT.

However, GS300t 2.0t, and GS500h, and you're spot on; unlikely to be anything else...
I do hope Lexus will offer more engine options other than 1 gas and 1 hybrid. This really puts a squeeze on their lower end products. Detuning is fine if the detuned engine still outperforms the competition, but when they offer engines that already outperforms your non-detuned version, I fail to see a business care here. Besides, do you really need 2 turbos to make 350-375hp or whatever the detuned number is when the standard 3.5 already makes 310hp or so?
Old 07-21-17, 10:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Great new ES and new GS coming.
I wonder which one most shoppers will buy.

Will Lexus ever learn? They need to make a clear distinction about these 2 models.
Old 07-21-17, 03:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I do hope Lexus will offer more engine options other than 1 gas and 1 hybrid. This really puts a squeeze on their lower end products. Detuning is fine if the detuned engine still outperforms the competition, but when they offer engines that already outperforms your non-detuned version, I fail to see a business care here. Besides, do you really need 2 turbos to make 350-375hp or whatever the detuned number is when the standard 3.5 already makes 310hp or so?
5GS should have at least 5 engine options judging by the next generation Toyota Crown in the Japanese Domestic Market.
1) 2.0 Turbo.
2) 3.5 V6 TT.
3) V8 TT?
4) 300h 2.5 Hybrid.
5) 500h 3.5 Hybrid.

I wouldn't be surprized if they detune 5GS, because if 5LS can 0-60 in some 4.5 seconds, then the lighter 5GS will 0-60 in probably 3.8 or 3.9 seconds!
I suspect they will detune 5GS to give 0-60 in only say 4.7 to 4.9 seconds to keep it below the 5LS.
There might be a special 5GS sports version that uses the non-detuned engine for 0-60 in just 3.8 seconds etc.
In the past, Lexus never bothered making a special sports version of GS400/GS430/GS460 that was not detuned.

The twin turbos (TT) aren't really twin turbos; they're actually only a single turbo per bank!
Just me only, but personally, I hate the turbo boom torque curve characteristics of the 535i and E400's.
Maybe the Lexus design uses a bigger capacity 3.5, and this may help to give a flatter torque curve, but then the high reciprocating mass of a bigger engine doesn't rev as sweetly at high rpm's?

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Great new ES and new GS coming.
I wonder which one most shoppers will buy.

Will Lexus ever learn? They need to make a clear distinction about these 2 models.
The distinction should be more clear than ever now, with 7ES like Camry using the old GS's 3.5 V6 direct injection engine with old 8 speed auto, front drive, and cheap single lower link MacPherson strut front suspension, with minimal if any use of aluminium in the chassis.

Meanwhile 5GS uses 3.5 twin turbo with new 10 speed auto, rear drive, and more expensive double wishbone suspension to keep wheels perpendicular to the road to maximize gripe, and a much higher aluminium content including aluminium suspension arms, and aluminium bonnet etc...
Old 07-21-17, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

The distinction should be more clear than ever now, with 7ES like Camry using the old GS's 3.5 V6 direct injection engine with old 8 speed auto, front drive, and cheap single lower link MacPherson strut front suspension, with minimal if any use of aluminium in the chassis.

Meanwhile 5GS uses 3.5 twin turbo with new 10 speed auto, rear drive, and more expensive double wishbone suspension to keep wheels perpendicular to the road to maximize gripe, and a much higher aluminium content including aluminium suspension arms, and aluminium bonnet etc...
Nice summary of 7ES / 5GS
Old 07-21-17, 04:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Why would the 5GS need to be slower than the new LS? That makes no sense. Many past and current GS versions have been quicker to 60 than the LS.
Old 07-21-17, 05:56 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by situman
Wishful thinking there..all we demand is that Lexus cut the BS and begin to offer engines that matches the competition. Lexus already screwed us on the 2.0 turbo in the IS; it is by-far the worst performing 2.0 among it's competitors.
This is a travesty and must be fixed. Recently we learned that the awful throttle lag was done deliberately by Lexus via the ECU. Why build an in-house turbo and then neuter it, just so it doesn't come too close to the IS350 performance. Sad!!!
Old 07-21-17, 06:51 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by EXE46
Wishful thinking there..all we demand is that Lexus cut the BS and begin to offer engines that matches the competition. Lexus already screwed us on the 2.0 turbo in the IS; it is by-far the worst performing 2.0 among it's competitors.
This is a travesty and must be fixed. Recently we learned that the awful throttle lag was done deliberately by Lexus via the ECU. Why build an in-house turbo and then neuter it, just so it doesn't come too close to the IS350 performance. Sad!!!
Easy, for quality control. Many competitors outsource their turbos from mostly BorgWarner and Garrett. Nice equipment, but could be suspect if something goes wrong.
Old 07-21-17, 09:32 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe we should have the Toyota Crown separated in a new thread from the 5GS rumor?
Old 07-21-17, 09:48 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

5GS should have at least 5 engine options judging by the next generation Toyota Crown in the Japanese Domestic Market.
1) 2.0 Turbo.
2) 3.5 V6 TT.
3) V8 TT?
4) 300h 2.5 Hybrid.
5) 500h 3.5 Hybrid.

I wouldn't be surprized if they detune 5GS, because if 5LS can 0-60 in some 4.5 seconds, then the lighter 5GS will 0-60 in probably 3.8 or 3.9 seconds!
I suspect they will detune 5GS to give 0-60 in only say 4.7 to 4.9 seconds to keep it below the 5LS.
There might be a special 5GS sports version that uses the non-detuned engine for 0-60 in just 3.8 seconds etc.
In the past, Lexus never bothered making a special sports version of GS400/GS430/GS460 that was not detuned.

The twin turbos (TT) aren't really twin turbos; they're actually only a single turbo per bank!
Just me only, but personally, I hate the turbo boom torque curve characteristics of the 535i and E400's.
Maybe the Lexus design uses a bigger capacity 3.5, and this may help to give a flatter torque curve, but then the high reciprocating mass of a bigger engine doesn't rev as sweetly at high rpm's?

The distinction should be more clear than ever now, with 7ESlike Camry using the old GS's 3.5 V6 direct injection engine with old 8 speed auto, front drive, and cheap single lower link MacPherson strut front suspension, with minimal if any use of aluminium in the chassis.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Why would the 5GS need to be slower than the new LS? That makes no sense. Many past and current GS versions have been quicker to 60 than the LS.
If you read properly, I never said that 5GS "needs" to be slower than 5LS.
I only said that I suspect, and that I wouldn't be surprized if Lexus detuned the 3.5 TT in the 5GS.

3IS's platform is closely related to 4GS, hence similar weight, and with virtually identical engines, the 3IS is actually quicker.

Historically, GS & LS platforms are more radically different, hence bigger weight differences between GS400/LS400, GS430/LS430 & GS460/LS460, hence in this situation, have seen deliberate detuning of GS.

Back in 1999-06, the 1IS300 also deliberately used a detuned version of 2GS300's 3.0 in-line six.

Will be interesting to see if forthcoming Crown uses a detuned version of 5LS's 3.5 TT.

Back in 2000 when Lexus released an IS300 with a detuned engine with less horsepower than the GS300 - I hated that.
I also didn't like GS460 having lacklustre power compared to LS460 either...
_

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-22-17 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-22-17, 10:38 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EXE46
My wife has had her 200t for over half a year now.
The other day, I full throttled her.
Pretty good.
Instant response, powerful, and very smooth and quiet at the top of the rev range.
The only thing I find bad about the 2.0 turbo is the throttle response, torque curve, and NVH at "small" throttle openings - when the turbo is not on spool.

The worst performing amongst its competitors?
Most of the cars in this class have a 7 year model cycle.
If we start with the 2014 C Class, then the A4 is released the year after in 2015, followed by the next generation 3 Series in 2018, and finally the next generation 4IS in 2020.
In 2014, the C Class shed 220 pounds.
In 2015, the A4 shed 260 pounds.
Meanwhile the current generation 2011-18 F30 3 Series is already a lightweight because its platform is specialized for the 3 Series and is not shared/related to the 5 Series, because the 5 Series has its own 7 Series derived platform.
Which of course leaves the current generation 3IS as the heaviest chassis in its class, with weight affecting linear performance, braking and handling; we will have to wait another 3 years before new lightweight technology comes.

Thus, it's not the 2.0 turbo, but the old heavyweight chassis/body.
_

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-22-17 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-22-17, 01:14 PM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty good.
Instant response, powerful, and very smooth and quiet at the top of the rev range.
The only thing I find bad about the 2.0 turbo is the throttle response, torque curve, and NVH at "small" throttle openings - when the turbo is not on spool.

If we start with the 2014 C Class, then the A4 is released the year after in 2015, followed by the next generation 3 Series in 2018, and finally the next generation 4IS in 2020.
Meanwhile the current generation 2011-18 F30 3 Series is already a lightweight because its platform is specialized for the 3 Series and is not shared/related to the 5 Series, because the 5 Series has its own 7 Series derived platform.
Which of course leaves the current generation 3IS as the heaviest chassis in its class, with weight affecting linear performance, braking and handling; we will have to wait another 3 years before new lightweight technology comes.

_
Thanks for breaking this down
Old 07-22-17, 07:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Pretty good.

_
The fact that the Lexus 2-litre turbocharged engine runs on the more efficient (but less powerful) Atkinson cycle at low engine loads, only switching to the more powerful Otto cycle at high engine loads probably contributes to the lag in throttle response.
Old 07-22-17, 09:17 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sulu
The fact that the Lexus 2-litre turbocharged engine runs on the more efficient (but less powerful) Atkinson cycle at low engine loads, only switching to the more powerful Otto cycle at high engine loads probably contributes to the lag in throttle response.
I can live with that. Platform migration will really spruce up the Lexus line. But in regards to Atkinson and Otto cycles, it's an impressive feat. I'd like to see the dual cycle technology on more vehicles. Migrate this engine to GA-L platform on the 4IS, and at some point the 2.0T will be making north of 270hp from its current 241hp state. Should be spunky. In fact the 5GS might utilize it first on a GS300. It'll be the volume model, while that GS400/450/500 sporting the TTV6 in F-Sport form will be the lustworty supermodel. People are going to complain but the 5GS will firmly push some F-Sport and Luxury trims past $60k. A typical 2017 GS350 F-Sport RWD is being built at a $59K level. MY2019 is shaping to be an exciting model!
Old 07-24-17, 06:42 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Putting it in sport mode eliminates the dual cycle, as far as the feel of lag goes. Maybe it also bypasses the atkinson cycle.

Quick Reply: Lexus 5GS spy ****s???