Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Not all Japanese cars are reliable

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 09:38 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Not all Japanese cars are reliable

I've been doing some researching on Acura MDX lately due to the release of the new hybrid Acura MDX. Given my experience with owning Honda brands in the past (and how not so "reliable" it was in my experience) I went and checked for the number of recalls and TSBs (they call it "communications.") and was blown away at the number of different TSBs registered with the NHTSA for Acura cars vs. that of Lexus, and Infiniti. check it out yourselves. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle it's like 100 TSB for Acura vs 20 for RX models, 23 for Mercedes E-class, and 27 for X5 (all 2014 models).

I know that MDXs are fun cars (relative speaking) but I still don't know why people call them reliable.........the RX is still the reliability champion, it seems like....
Old 07-03-17, 10:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

MDX's are generally very reliable, from what I have read and heard more reliable then RXs. Just because a model has many TSBs or recalls does not mean it is unreliable, may just mean the maker is more pro active in taking care of any issues, and many tsbs have nothing to do with reliability. There are many European models with fewer tsbs but they are extremely unreliable and expensive to own. Lexus has its share of issues like engine sludge in older 6 cylinders, ball joint failures in 2nd Gen GS, carbon fouling in IS250, air suspension failures and lower control arm issues in LS, door lock actuator issues in most models, etc which are expensive issues. Mazda had a lot of issues with rotaries and 80's 929 were essentially lemons, Mitsubishis had their share of issues, along with some Nissans.
Old 07-03-17, 10:57 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i think out of all of the japanese car marques, nissan seems to be the least reliable out of the bunch. while all have their issues, honda/acura, toyota/lexus, subaru, and mazda are generally more reliable. this is based on anecdotal information, though i'd love to see the data substantiated.
Old 07-03-17, 11:03 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I was just reading a report (not consumer reports, this was another agency) on the most and least reliable vehicles since 2015, Honda/Acura were reported as the least reliable amongst Japanese imports, Toyota/Lexus ranked at the top for almost all models and Surprisingly Nissan and Mazda fighting for 2nd place.

I will see if I can find the article it was a week or so ago.
Old 07-03-17, 11:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I've been doing some researching on Acura MDX lately due to the release of the new hybrid Acura MDX. Given my experience with owning Honda brands in the past (and how not so "reliable" it was in my experience) I went and checked for the number of recalls and TSBs (they call it "communications.") and was blown away at the number of different TSBs registered with the NHTSA for Acura cars vs. that of Lexus, and Infiniti. check it out yourselves. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle it's like 100 TSB for Acura vs 20 for RX models, 23 for Mercedes E-class, and 27 for X5 (all 2014 models).

I know that MDXs are fun cars (relative speaking) but I still don't know why people call them reliable.........the RX is still the reliability champion, it seems like....
Recalls and TSBs does not have an affect reliability. A car can have a number of recalls and still never let you down.
Old 07-03-17, 11:45 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Recalls and TSBs does not have an affect reliability. A car can have a number of recalls and still never let you down.
TSBs are typically "fixes" to issues that arise from multiple consumers, and are usually just a set of specific instructions for Tech as to how to repair a given issue, Recalls are more in line with failures especially related to safety, but can relate to other things..

while I 100% agree they do not affect reliability as not all the vehicles of a give make/model are affected by either, depending on build dates and locations and "lot numbers" of the parts or VIN.. Example, a 2007 Camry has 67 TSBs issued and 4 recalls, but only 3 of those TSBs, and 1 recall apply to the Hybrid, the others apply to the LE, SE, or XLE, and different option levels of each.

however I do believe that a lot of TSBs or Recalls do lend an idea as to the quality control (or lack there of) of a make/model. My 2005 Chrysler 300c had over 400 TSBs and 6 recalls, and for my car, it seemed like they all applied. lol.
Old 07-03-17, 01:15 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

From personal experience, as of a couple of weeks ago, I am on my fourth MDX since about 2003 (2001 Touring, 2005 Touring, 2011 Advance, 2017 Advance) and have had no significant issues. I had no issues with the 2001 & 2005, and the only issues that occurred on my 2011 in six years were repaired under warranty (air conditioner, shocks, side mirror actuator). I did not intend to get another MDX, but overall they just can't be beat from a value standpoint, and I like the front end design change as well as the features that have been added since 2011. I looked at several alternatives (RX, X5, QX60, Q7) and really liked the new Land Rover Discovery, but just cannot justify the $20k difference in price.

As an aside, I found it interesting that they are assembled in Alabama and then shipped to Chicago for distribution.
Old 07-03-17, 01:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Honda/Acura, IMO some of their models have issues. Automatic transmissions paired to their V6 engines were crap in the late 90's and through the 2000's. I've known a couple of people with the Acura RSX, let me tell you for something wearing a premium badge that was $25,000 when it was new, the build quality left a lot to be desired. Noisy, cheap plastics, lots of rattles, leather seats that split and fell apart after 4-5 years, a/c compressor that failed before 100k miles, door locks that gave up the ghost, dealership never could figure out/diagnose the airbag light. Great looking car, even after 150k miles it ran great, drove like a new car with really tight steering, automatic trans shifted like new, its just all the details and trim, they cut a lot of corners on.
Old 07-04-17, 10:24 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

A/C compressor issues were widely known and it was a $1200 repair. power steering belt just groaned so loudly we thought it was the engine making the noise. Noise Vibration and Harshness just got double bad as soon as the car came off of warranty, I didn't have this but the 2914 on 9 speed was a joke, from what I heard. BTW, the TSBs, I believe, exists because customer complained of certain common or design symptoms.
Old 07-05-17, 03:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Honda/Acura, IMO some of their models have issues. Automatic transmissions paired to their V6 engines were crap in the late 90's and through the 2000's. I've known a couple of people with the Acura RSX, let me tell you for something wearing a premium badge that was $25,000 when it was new, the build quality left a lot to be desired. Noisy, cheap plastics, lots of rattles, leather seats that split and fell apart after 4-5 years, a/c compressor that failed before 100k miles, door locks that gave up the ghost, dealership never could figure out/diagnose the airbag light. Great looking car, even after 150k miles it ran great, drove like a new car with really tight steering, automatic trans shifted like new, its just all the details and trim, they cut a lot of corners on.
It is true Honda/Acura struggled with their automatic transmissions for quite some time. Our 2005 MDX's went out just over 100k miles. Other than that, it had been extremely reliable and served us well until sold at 130k miles. As for the RSX, they were absolutely beat to death by their owners, as most sporty/affordable cars driven by younger males are.
Old 07-05-17, 05:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The MDX has always struck me as odd, whenever I am behind one and I see the fake dual exhaust. Maybe it's an optical illusion but the pipes look extremely small, as if they were < 1.5" diameter? Just looks cheesy to me. I think a cousin bought one for solidly over $50k? Yikes.

But, I know a colleague had a motor in his Odyssey get new piston rings, it was I dunno maybe a '12, and another colleague with an Accord had brakes done at 26k, 35k, 45k, and was complaining to the dealership, who told her it's normal. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I googled it and sure enough, class action lost by Honda and now those repairs were refunded. So that's hardly reliable--and they were the rear brakes btw, not the front. They told her it was her driving habits...what a joke.
Old 07-05-17, 08:08 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The MDX has always struck me as odd, whenever I am behind one and I see the fake dual exhaust. Maybe it's an optical illusion but the pipes look extremely small, as if they were < 1.5" diameter? Just looks cheesy to me. I think a cousin bought one for solidly over $50k? Yikes.

But, I know a colleague had a motor in his Odyssey get new piston rings, it was I dunno maybe a '12, and another colleague with an Accord had brakes done at 26k, 35k, 45k, and was complaining to the dealership, who told her it's normal. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I googled it and sure enough, class action lost by Honda and now those repairs were refunded. So that's hardly reliable--and they were the rear brakes btw, not the front. They told her it was her driving habits...what a joke.
Apparently in 2014 the MDX went with the fake dual exhaust, but one of the changes for 2017 is going back to a real chrome trimmed dual exhaust. Also re brakes, I had my 2011 MDX for over 70k miles and never had brakes done.
Old 07-05-17, 09:30 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I personally know 5 people that own Acura's of various models, all newer than 2011. None have been what I would call reliable. One guy had his TL at the dealer for warranty repairs 28 times in 2 years. 28! Thats terrible. It had gotten to the point where he doesn't even bother taking it in for the little stuff. He made a list of things that needed addressed under warranty and when it went in for services he had it fixed then unless it was detrimental to the operation of the car. During his 2 years and 46,000 miles of ownership, it required 2 transmission rebuilds, a new ECU, several sensors related to the SH-AWD, and many other fixes that would have been $$$$$ if not for the warranty.

He recently jumped ship and went to Cadillac, never to return to Acura.
Old 07-05-17, 10:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I personally know 5 people that own Acura's of various models, all newer than 2011. None have been what I would call reliable. One guy had his TL at the dealer for warranty repairs 28 times in 2 years. 28! Thats terrible. It had gotten to the point where he doesn't even bother taking it in for the little stuff. He made a list of things that needed addressed under warranty and when it went in for services he had it fixed then unless it was detrimental to the operation of the car. During his 2 years and 46,000 miles of ownership, it required 2 transmission rebuilds, a new ECU, several sensors related to the SH-AWD, and many other fixes that would have been $$$$$ if not for the warranty.

He recently jumped ship and went to Cadillac, never to return to Acura.
Japanese cars have for a long time had the reputation of reliability and reasonable cost of ownership, if these are not happening, imho there's no reason to not get a German car instead. They are more solid and simply more enjoyable to drive. It's hilarious how they refuse to rust--they may not be driveable anymore, but get junked with mint bodies (former friend's 2006 Passat 4 Motion V6 comes to mind). The unfortunate thing imho is the pressure to increase margins. I'm sure we've seen it a million times before, some great place to eat is a joke, cheap, and good. Then Triple D rolls in, or before man v food, and now there are long lines, the price goes up, and the portions are reduced. When this happens, time to find a new joint imho....
Old 07-05-17, 02:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00

RX is the reliability champion no doubt, but its still not a 7 seater.
TSBs are ways of improving certain customer complaints not the same as recalls.

My general book is Acura's current and historically faults are Powertrain specifically the transmission. Honda cannot make em reliable, they then selected the ZF 9speed which was the worst of the bunch (different from the stout longitudnal 8 speed everyone loves), and now back to offering a honda unit. Acura also hates keep things simple as evidenced by this terrible dual display infotainment. Dont know why the big two japanese auto makers just dont get how to design infotainment systems.