Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 03:20 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Consider 2 yrs old Accord V6?
Easily to get low mileage 2014-2016 Accord V6 around $24k, better engine and transmission, good gas mileage too.
Honda discontinue NA V6 for the new Honda Accord and replaced it with 2.0L turbo.
Old 07-05-17, 03:24 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Higher trim Accords will have a 2.0T w/10 speed trans.
Wow did not know that..now that has made it that much more compelling.
Old 07-05-17, 03:28 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Longevite1
Consider 2 yrs old Accord V6?
Easily to get low mileage 2014-2016 Accord V6 around $24k, better engine and transmission, good gas mileage too.
Honda discontinue NA V6 for the new Honda Accord and replaced it with 2.0L turbo.
Used and CPO are out of the question...She wants new lol. And we don't need another V6, as it will be a commuter car.

I am looking forward to seeing the '18 Accord 2.0T. As well as the whole redesign. Maybe that will sway our decision. But for right now, I feel the Civic Touring is the best car within the budget.
Old 07-05-17, 03:35 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Default May be we dating the same girl?

I understand the part she doesn't want used car, I am in the same situation right now.

I think the base (May be EX-L) '18 Accord 2.0T will be around $32.5k and loaded will be north $30s.
Like others suggest, new Camry will be available in couple weeks, and the 2.5L version have really good HP and gas mileage too, and not CVT transmission.
Old 07-05-17, 03:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd get a 2017 Accord, the new Civic is a big pile of ugly IMO. Plus you're getting a lot more car for your $$$$ IMO, spec out the Accord right(I really like the tan leather option) and its NICE inside. From what people are saying, it might even be cheaper than a comparably equipped Civic with the deals they are giving.

You can wait around for the 2018 Accord, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If Honda continues its recent tradition and styling cues, it will be a big pile of ugly like the new Civic.
Old 07-05-17, 04:47 PM
djmullen56
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's primarily for commuting, consider the Lexus CT200h. I've had one since new in 2011 and think it is about the ideal commuting car. Just enough Lexus refinement to be comfortable and while not a powerful car, it is fun to drive. And you'll get north of 40 mpg.
Old 07-05-17, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you want a Honda-engineered product, like the Civic's basic platform, but don't like the styling, may I suggest the Acura ILX? The ILX is done on the Civic's platform, but has much more conventional, less-polarizing styling inside and out (except for the parrot-beak grille). Pricing starts at 28K...you also get a longer warranty than the Civic.

http://www.acura.com/ilx

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-17 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-05-17, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

My cousin has a new Civic, he also drives a ton, its about a year old and he just rolled over 33k. No issues whatsoever. Its a great car, he loves it. I think they're great looking, and I actually drove it 5 hours back from WV last year and really liked it. It sits REALLY low, a little challenging to climb up out of it but it makes for a very dynamic driving experience, tech is very good, cabin materials are very good. Rides well, its firm but well damped and pretty quiet for what it is. His is the EX-T with the turbo engine but no leather, no nav but it has Apple CarPlay. I'd spring for the EX-L to get the leather (although the cloth is nice cloth) or the Touring. I can't imagine a better car for $21k! No way in the world I would consider say a Corolla...or even a Mazda 3 over a new Civic.

The Accord is the bigger "better" car, but they're not very refined to drive anyways, so I might just take a loaded up Touring Civic with all the bells over an Accord.
Old 07-05-17, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My cousin has a new Civic, he also drives a ton, its about a year old and he just rolled over 33k. No issues whatsoever. Its a great car, he loves it. I think they're great looking, and I actually drove it 5 hours back from WV last year and really liked it.
Enough power and agility for those hills and curves we talked about? (U.S. 33, 250, 50, etc....)
Old 07-05-17, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Enough power and agility for those hills and curves we talked about? (U.S. 33, 250, 50, etc....)
Oh yeah, no problem with power with the Turbo, and agility it was like it was on rails on those curvy mountain roads.

Heres my thing when buying a "cheap" car. I don't want it to feel cheap, something like a Corolla or a Hyundai Elantra feels like what it is, an economy car. People choose those cars because they're "cheap". The Civic was always the same way IMHO, this current Civic though is such a huge improvement over the previous Civic its not even funny. Its a car you can actually say "I bought this car because its great looking, has a lot of great features and is a lot of fun to drive", not just "this car was a great value". The Accord, while also good looking, feels dated compared to the Civic, and in its segment there are more compelling cars IMHO, I think the Civic is the most compelling in its class, second is the Mazda 3 but I would choose the hatch in that (better looking IMO)

What I also like about the Civic is it doesn't have "econocar" proportions, high roof but short, stumpy looking. It looks long and low...more expensive than it is.
Old 07-05-17, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Heres my thing when buying a "cheap" car. I don't want it to feel cheap, something like a Corolla or a Hyundai Elantra feels like what it is, an economy car. People choose those cars because they're "cheap". The Civic was always the same way IMHO, this current Civic though is such a huge improvement over the previous Civic its not even funny. Its a car you can actually say "I bought this car because its great looking, has a lot of great features and is a lot of fun to drive", not just "this car was a great value". The Accord, while also good looking, feels dated compared to the Civic, and in its segment there are more compelling cars IMHO, I think the Civic is the most compelling in its class, second is the Mazda 3 but I would choose the hatch in that (better looking IMO)
I have to agree that the current-generation Elantra does feel cheap (I did a review on one not that one ago)....this, in contrast to the last one, which was weirdly-styled inside, but felt and rode more substantial. For some reason (?), the current Elantra seems one of the unusual exceptions to the general tendency of Hyundai/Kia to give you a lot for your money....even more so than its downmarket brother Accent. The Corolla, yes, has some cheap parts inside, but, in contrast, by compact-sedan standards, it is smooth, refined, and (IMO) pleasant to drive on the road.
Old 07-05-17, 05:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I've noticed in the latest slew of Hyundais is they feel cheaper than their immediate predecessor. Its almost like they're positioning Hyundai as the value brand and Kia a step above, Kias right now feel more premium.

As an example, drive an Optima and a Sonata. Or a Sportage and a Tuscon.
Old 07-05-17, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I've noticed in the latest slew of Hyundais is they feel cheaper than their immediate predecessor. Its almost like they're positioning Hyundai as the value brand and Kia a step above, Kias right now feel more premium.

As an example, drive an Optima and a Sonata. Or a Sportage and a Tuscon.
Agreed. That's one reason (among several) why my brother took home a Sportage.

Still, among Hyundais, I notice it more with the Elantra than with others of the brand.

Anyhow, it might be moot point.......the OP seems to be more interested in a Honda-sourced sedan, not Hyundai or Kia. That's one reason why I mentioned the ILX as a possible alternative.....many people, like with the Prius, can't stomach the new Civic's styling.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-17 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-05-17, 06:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The Accord is good, but the body dates back to 2012. You'll probably regret it once the new one comes out. I'm personally not a fan of buying the last year model. I would hate to make payments on an "old" car. lol.
Old 07-05-17, 09:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Accord is much more of a car than the Civic. More space, more prestige, more class, more presence, more power, safer (larger), higher resale, and possibly more reliable than the Civic. I wouldn't even consider the frumpy Civic if you are comparing the two. Just keep in mind the current Accord will be instantly dated withing a few weeks. But the huge discounting right now offsets that. Go Accord.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic