Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 10:51 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Both are great choices. If the car is supposed to be hers, she will like things that may not be important to you and visa versa. In my many years and a couple of wives, the best possible solution is to understand what she wants in a car, which one she prefers and go with that. Cause in the big picture, including your girl friend and understanding why she likes A over B is much more important than the car itself. Put the two choices (color/options) side by side and ask her which one she would rather drive. I have been very lucky as both wives didn't drive but both liked cars. I just let them pick cause I really don't care. About to pull the trigger on car number 57 so I can't complain.

From a practical point I bet the Civic will have a better resale than the Accord. (pricing accounted for) A two year old Civic here, may as well buy a new one. Accord not so much.
Old 07-11-17, 12:11 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
I've driven almost all Lexus vehicles, used to new (I work @ a dealer part-time). IMO the LS is a giant boat. Yes its luxurious and its a Lexus. (I own a '16 IS350fsport).

But, we are young (23yo), and LS is just too mature lol (And big). Plus, she wants a new car. <-- Can't get past this. If it were solely up to me, I can buy a very nice used car lol
haha my buddy said driving a LS is like driving a mattress (he used to have one). Since I now drive one most of the time, I say it's like being able to navigate your pillow top mattress right out of your bedroom on the 2nd floor, and onto the highway.

When I texted my buddy that I just bought the LS430, he replied that is some serious Tahara sheet metal, son! Then he texted me his wife said what are you so happy about, you didn't buy the car? And after that, his 2 girls said wow John bought an old person's car, we'd rather ride in his wife's car ( a soccer mom's SUV)....
Old 07-14-17, 04:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

moved '18 accord posts to that new thread.
Old 07-14-17, 11:12 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

After looking at the 2018 Accord, I would definitely buy the 2017 Accord with the V6. Just not a fan of 4 cylinder engines, even with turbochargers on something that has the pretense of being premium and luxurious. Compare a 2017 E-class 4 cylinder turbo with the previous year's V6, I can still tell a small but noticable to me difference in engine sound and refinement. Compare a new 2017 Lexus IS200t turbo 4 with stop/start nonsense vs a 1992 Lexus SC300 with the straight six, I can damn well tell you which one is smoother, more refined, and sounds better, its the old *** car.

Plus the new Accord is UGLY IMO. If you're going to have that sort of sloped back roof and rakish rear glass, just make the damn thing a hatchback and be done with it. If you look at the newer model Ford Fusion sedan vs the hatchback(hatchback is only sold in Europe) there is hardly any difference in styling but a lot more useful room.

Last edited by Aron9000; 07-14-17 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 10:23 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your finding Accord EX-L's for $29k you must be looking at the V6. Okay, I'm a bit biased, here, because I just bought one. There's no way to say this without sounding somewhat crazy but the V6 in the Accord literally transforms the car into something it's not supposed to be. It is not the same car as the I4/CVT. It's not even close. It's not about the power, it's about that velvety smooth and quiet V6. I've been averaging 35 mpg in mine. It is an absolute pleasure to drive. I'm glad I got the last run of V6 Accord's. I'll be holding onto this car a while.
Old 07-19-17, 02:18 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
If your finding Accord EX-L's for $29k you must be looking at the V6. Okay, I'm a bit biased, here, because I just bought one. There's no way to say this without sounding somewhat crazy but the V6 in the Accord literally transforms the car into something it's not supposed to be. It is not the same car as the I4/CVT. It's not even close. It's not about the power, it's about that velvety smooth and quiet V6. I've been averaging 35 mpg in mine. It is an absolute pleasure to drive. I'm glad I got the last run of V6 Accord's. I'll be holding onto this car a while.
Firstly, that is great MPG with a V6. Kinda hard to believe. But, we don't need another V6.

But, both my gf and I had decided that we are no longer going to look into the Accord. The '18 redesign is not mind blowing, and the styling is meh.

We are going to shop around for the '17 Civic Touring (loaded @ $27.4k). Hopefully, getting a decent discount as its getting near the end of the year.
Old 07-19-17, 05:01 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm awfully impressed with the upcoming Accord redesign. It looks very impressive inside and out. With that being said, I've always been mighty impressed with the latest generation Civic. It's a pretty decently-sized car, I'd opt for that.