Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-17, 11:59 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic

Hello guys,

We are looking for a second car (for my gf), and she has her eyes on the 2017 Honda Accord EX-L (29k). However, I'm thinking the 2017 Honda Civic Touring (~27k) is a better car in terms of value.(you get more for less, minus the size of the accord).

I'm coming from a '16 IS350 FSPORT, and I feel like the Civic Touring has way more cool features than my car. Ex. CarPlay, Side mirror cameras, rear heated seats. Of course, the Lexus badge and styling is always a plus.

Anyone have insights of the car to purchase? Or any suggestions for an entry level commuter car? She doesn't want to spend more than $30k on a car.

Last edited by nathantse; 07-05-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-05-17, 12:07 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My dad was looking at the Civic because he wanted a reliable car, but it was impossible to buy with all the games etc. He printed out the edmunds price promise, and they marked that up? hahahahahahaha

Mind you, he was trying to buy new. What I was gonna say was this is not considered a reliable car per Consumer Reports. Not subscribing to CR, I don't know why, maybe it's not the powertrain but the electronics...

My buddy settled upon a used Nissan Versa for his 16 y.o. daughter, so if his extensive research means anything, that might be a good car....
Old 07-05-17, 12:12 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My dad was looking at the Civic because he wanted a reliable car, but it was impossible to buy with all the games etc. He printed out the edmunds price promise, and they marked that up? hahahahahahaha

Mind you, he was trying to buy new. What I was gonna say was this is not considered a reliable car per Consumer Reports. Not subscribing to CR, I don't know why, maybe it's not the powertrain but the electronics...

My buddy settled upon a used Nissan Versa for his 16 y.o. daughter, so if his extensive research means anything, that might be a good car....
I've done some quick visits to the dealers, and they were willing to discount the Accord 4k. From $29k to a selling price of 24,xxx

However, the Civic Touring at best is discounted 2k. (if anything, the Civic Touring is paying sticker price out the door). Maybe some more haggling will bring it down. I do have some college grad rebates that I have not thrown on the table.

Not sure why CR is hating the Civic, I do trust that Honda's make reliable cars inside and out. Although I've personally never owned one.

My uncle had a Versa, not much of a "cool" car to drive. Lol.
Old 07-05-17, 12:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

My brother in law has a new Civic. He uses it as a commuter and has already put on over 40k miles on it. He really likes it. I think the new CR-Vs are pretty impressive too and worthy of a look. That may be stretching the budget, though. Not sure how nice of one you get for $30k.

I would also check out the Mazda3. I like those.
Old 07-05-17, 12:21 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
My brother in law has a new Civic. He uses it as a commuter and has already put on over 40k miles on it. He really likes it. I think the new CR-Vs are pretty impressive too and worthy of a look. That may be stretching the budget, though. Not sure how nice of one you get for $30k.

I would also check out the Mazda3. I like those.
Forgot to mention, she's very picky. Smh. She only wants a Sedan. I've checked out the mazda3, as I had a 2012 mazda6 before my IS. Great changes inside and out, but the downside is no CarPlay from Mazda. =\

The SUV's that are coming out are nice, but she doesn't want one. But we could really use one though lol.
Old 07-05-17, 12:49 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The incentives on the Accord are great.$5K off an EX.
The Civic not close in cost,ride quality and room.
Old 07-05-17, 12:54 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
I've done some quick visits to the dealers, and they were willing to discount the Accord 4k. From $29k to a selling price of 24,xxx

However, the Civic Touring at best is discounted 2k. (if anything, the Civic Touring is paying sticker price out the door). Maybe some more haggling will bring it down. I do have some college grad rebates that I have not thrown on the table.

Not sure why CR is hating the Civic, I do trust that Honda's make reliable cars inside and out. Although I've personally never owned one.

My uncle had a Versa, not much of a "cool" car to drive. Lol.
haha that was something my buddy was looking for, that it did not have a cool factor since his daughter is only 16.....

If I recall, this was last Thanksgiving, my dad had like $2600 off on a Civic and it was that edmunds price promise, but they were trying to tack on administrative fees blah blah blah and so he walked....there were tons available and you shoulda seen my google voice, they kept leaving voicemails up until I'd say 2 mos. ago?
Old 07-05-17, 12:59 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The incentives on the Accord are great.$5K off an EX.
The Civic not close in cost,ride quality and room.
Yeah, did the research. There are better deals with the accord vs the civic. However, even the EX trim is so basic in terms of technology and "luxury feel". The next step up is the EX-L which sells at 29k, which has a little more, but still not as much as the loaded Civic Touring @ 27k. =\

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
haha that was something my buddy was looking for, that it did not have a cool factor since his daughter is only 16.....

If I recall, this was last Thanksgiving, my dad had like $2600 off on a Civic and it was that edmunds price promise, but they were trying to tack on administrative fees blah blah blah and so he walked....there were tons available and you shoulda seen my google voice, they kept leaving voicemails up until I'd say 2 mos. ago?

$2600 off a civic is decent. I believe that is what TrueCar is listed as too. I still have the college grad rebate ($500 off) that I have not mention, which I will toss in once the selling price is final.
Old 07-05-17, 01:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I know my local Acura dealer sometimes discounts the TLX to $30k or slightly below. That might be something worth looking into. Otherwise I'd just drive both the Civic and Accord and see which suits her needs better.
Old 07-05-17, 01:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nathantse
Yeah, did the research. There are better deals with the accord vs the civic. However, even the EX trim is so basic in terms of technology and "luxury feel". The next step up is the EX-L which sells at 29k, which has a little more, but still not as much as the loaded Civic Touring @ 27k. =\

$2600 off a civic is decent. I believe that is what TrueCar is listed as too. I still have the college grad rebate ($500 off) that I have not mention, which I will toss in once the selling price is final.
But in CA,you can easily get an EX-L for $24K-$25K.
Old 07-05-17, 01:11 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

The all new 2018 Accord will be revealed in a couple of weeks and go on sale in a few months.
If you're considering spending upwards of $30K on the current Accord, I'd hold off on that purchase until the new model hits dealerships.
Of course you can forget about huge $4K discounts on the 2018 model.

If waiting isn't an option I'd go for the Civic. I think it's a great looking sedan, and it's value is unquestionable.
Old 07-05-17, 01:16 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Huge discounts on Accord because the new one debuts next week. New Civic is one of the first on the new Honda engineering architecture, vastly improved rigidity, dynamics, etc. Can't really go too far wrong with either car.
Old 07-05-17, 01:33 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
But in CA,you can easily get an EX-L for $24K-$25K.
That's exactly what I was quoted for a EX-L. Selling price of 24,xxx, with tax/fees, we will be looking around 27k otd. Which is roughly the same price as getting a Civic Touring for sticker otd.

And I did not know of the new accord being debuted, we can wait and see what changes will be done. But true that there will be little or no discount on the '18 Accord. =\

Any word on changes for '18 Civics? Could be too early, since '16 was their refresh?
Old 07-05-17, 01:51 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Could you wait for a few months? As pbm317 mentioned, the new 2018 Accord will be released (all new, freshly redesigned) at the end of this year, rumored to have the nice 1.5L turbocharged powerplant from the very-nice 2017 CRV. The 2018 Camry comes out as well, which is worthy of consideration as early reviews conclude it is a nice improvement over the already-good 2017-gen Camry. Another to consider is the MAzda 6, you can get a 2016 Grand Touring CPO well under $25k.
Old 07-05-17, 02:56 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
Could you wait for a few months? As pbm317 mentioned, the new 2018 Accord will be released (all new, freshly redesigned) at the end of this year, rumored to have the nice 1.5L turbocharged powerplant from the very-nice 2017 CRV. The 2018 Camry comes out as well, which is worthy of consideration as early reviews conclude it is a nice improvement over the already-good 2017-gen Camry. Another to consider is the MAzda 6, you can get a 2016 Grand Touring CPO well under $25k.
Higher trim Accords will have a 2.0T w/10 speed trans.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic