Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Car under 10k if primary was a sports car

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 01:13 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
guys, I really do appreciate everyone's opinions and feedback, this is what makes asking the question on an enthusiast forum the best!

I don't go into a situation expecting to lose money or anything like that lol...i just meant I would not fix large repairs over large repairs, it wouldn't make sense, but I would be willing to take a risk since its not guaranteed a large issue would happen, it's just rolling the dice..

maybe a smarter option is to just get a reliable SUV I would really on drive in bad weather..hmmm

I always just liked the idea of the GSF and then something more relaxed to just coast in and lounge. I think that's why I was really asking for a luxury 2nd vehicle around 10k that I can jump in once a week when I just want to relax and drive slow lol

again, that's why I love the opinions on this forum.
but would also need to be able to drive it in bad weather since the GS isn't really safe for it
Old 07-11-17, 01:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I think you would find the ride of something like a GX470 nice and relaxing. I actually considered buying one of those as a third car last year.
Old 07-11-17, 01:38 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Call me crazy, but if you want something to cruise around slow in during bad weather, I'm a sucker for older cars and would give serious consideration to an early '90's Land Cruiser ('94 style). I absolutely love those trucks and they are bullet proof and still turn heads when in great condition. Personally, having owned a GX and now owning an LX (570, so different engine than a '94 Cruiser), I'd definitely get the Cruiser. A GX is a nice SUV, but given what you're potentially looking for, if you can have something that's bordering on "antique" status, I'd go for the LC. It'll feel a little under-powered when you try to accelerate hard, but who cares. It's a tank and a total beast. Love those things.
Old 07-12-17, 06:58 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

You can get a ALL WHEEL DRIVE 2006-07 Lexus GS for under $10K.
That car will last forever.
Old 07-12-17, 08:11 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know the OP said Navigator and Escalade in his original post. I'd avoid the Navigator, they have their issues, air suspension likes to crap out, the 5.4 V8 in them has its share of issues. I'd go Escalade, but look out for those 2007 models, first year of the redesign, I think the then new 6 speed automatic trans had some teething issues. You can also get a Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Denali of your choice, they're pretty similar to the Escalade, but once again watch out for early models with the 6 speed transmission. GM didn't make it easy, when they redesigned all their big SUV's for 2007, some still used the more reliable 4 speed automatic, while others used the 6 speed that had problems in the first year or two. Eventually GM sorted out the 6 speed automatic, if you really want a GM truck, you need to go read, read, and read the forums. Even some of those early 6 speed automatics might have had the trans replaced under warranty with revised parts, so they're good to go now.
Old 07-12-17, 09:14 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Propulsion
You can get a ALL WHEEL DRIVE 2006-07 Lexus GS for under $10K.
That car will last forever.
I had an 08, car was solid, especially in snow
Old 07-12-17, 09:16 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I know the OP said Navigator and Escalade in his original post. I'd avoid the Navigator, they have their issues, air suspension likes to crap out, the 5.4 V8 in them has its share of issues. I'd go Escalade, but look out for those 2007 models, first year of the redesign, I think the then new 6 speed automatic trans had some teething issues. You can also get a Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Denali of your choice, they're pretty similar to the Escalade, but once again watch out for early models with the 6 speed transmission. GM didn't make it easy, when they redesigned all their big SUV's for 2007, some still used the more reliable 4 speed automatic, while others used the 6 speed that had problems in the first year or two. Eventually GM sorted out the 6 speed automatic, if you really want a GM truck, you need to go read, read, and read the forums. Even some of those early 6 speed automatics might have had the trans replaced under warranty with revised parts, so they're good to go now.
I always loved 02 - 06 Escalade, I would really love to own one, any negative comments on them? Air suspension bad
Old 07-13-17, 05:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think it's a ymmv......my buddy has a Navigator that he picked up 2 y.o. CPO, it's now at 160k and I think the only problem he's had was the trim fell off on his driver door opener, and he's not willing to pay for the OE part. We bust on him that it says THX certified. He just rented a new GMC Denali on the family vacation, and he said in his opinion it's not as nice as his Navigator which is like 8 yrs. older. He's an Audi/BMW guy so for him to love his Navigator is saying something.
Old 07-13-17, 10:32 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think it's a ymmv......my buddy has a Navigator that he picked up 2 y.o. CPO, it's now at 160k and I think the only problem he's had was the trim fell off on his driver door opener, and he's not willing to pay for the OE part. We bust on him that it says THX certified. He just rented a new GMC Denali on the family vacation, and he said in his opinion it's not as nice as his Navigator which is like 8 yrs. older. He's an Audi/BMW guy so for him to love his Navigator is saying something.
good feedback and good to know