Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

tesla's real impact - breaking the car dealer monopoly

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17 | 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
holy sweeping statement.
That sounds like something out of the old Batman TV show of the 60s LOL.

regardless, i would say that while i expect almost everyone is aware (and leery) that dealers will take as much money as possible from customers, most also won't know when it's happening because many dealer salespeople are very good at appearing straightforward and honest, when in reality there's all kinds of things they're not disclosing, and numbers that change during the process, and completely confusing 'sheets' showing how a price is calculated. and don't you love it when you find something 'wrong' and they act surprised, that it was a mistake, yeah right...
That's why I said there are both honest and dishonest people in the business. And I've also found that some people are never satisfied with the price they get...they ALWAYS assume they are getting screwed, whether they actually are or not. My late mother was like that, God rest her soul....and I'm not trying to dishonor her memory one iota (after all....I wouldn't exist without her). But she could, in fact, be very difficult to shop with. One of my ex-co-workers, who I went shopping with once for an F-150, was the same way. He sat there, at the dealership, complaining, and bargained for hours, on and on and on, for a year-old, factory-program (never titled) F-150. He finally signed the papers, took the truck home.....and then complained and griped the whole next week at work about getting screwed, and whether or not he could take the truck back. Our SUPERVISOR, of all people (who actually liked the truck), finally offered to buy the truck from him, at the exact price he paid for it, just to shut him up. That embarrassed him so much that he quieted down and kept it....and he actually ended up liking the truck, considering he kept it for almost 15 years, through two signifcant accidents.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-17 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-29-17 | 04:51 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Everyman Tesla Surprise:The Tesla Model 3 Is Launching At $44,000 Not $35,000.
https://jalopnik.com/surprise-the-te...not-1797357913
I think this is the Jalopnik boys acting like tools and pretending to be surprised to drive some click-bait traffic to their site. Most reports from over a year ago, when the 3 was announced, stated specifically that the Model 3 was starting at $35000. There are any number of car manufacturers who use a hook to get people interested in their product with a base price.

If they lose a lot of reservations for the Model 3, it would be pretty surprising that it's because of this.
Old 07-29-17 | 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't like to support the idea that regulations should somehow take away people's responsibilities to look out for themselves.

There are plenty of regulations, right now, as it is, that support a number of transactions related to auto-sales......among others, Truth in Lending, Usury-limits, Price-sticker requirements on all new American-market vehicles, Lease-Contract regulations, Odometer Mileage Statements, and Credit-Release forms. All cash-transactions of $10,000 or more (including a privately-written or Cashier's Check from the bank) are, by Federal regulation, reported to the FBI. State laws, if applicable, limit any dealer-processing fees. And, of course, during the Obama Administration, a whole new agency (the CFPB) was added that regulates consumer credit. Although some shady stuff still indeed goes on, the auto-sales business, in general, today, is anything but a free-for all.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-17 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-30-17 | 07:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's why I said there are both honest and dishonest people in the business. And I've also found that some people are never satisfied with the price they get...they ALWAYS assume they are getting screwed, whether they actually are or not. .
I completely agree. There are both honest and dishonest people in the car business, or in any business for that matter.

As for the people being never satisfied, yes I agree. I have said this before, most people do not want to spend the amount of money they are spending on a car. That $50K is not a necessity, the whole goal of the manufactured car, dealer, dealer personal, dealer or manufactured incentive is to try and persuade you to buy that particular car you are looking for and then part with your money. This is what it all about. The right amount of pressure in many different circumstances is essential to making this work. Lexus or Chevrolet, no different. They just have different approaches to making this all work.

just because it doesn't affect you, and sure, people should become educated about corrupt and unscrupulous practices doesn't make what dealers are doing right.
perhaps you even feel good that many are ripped off by dealers, 'allowing' the dealer to even take a loss on your deal because it balances out.
abuses of power bother me, and i hate seeing nice people i know (typically older) going into a dealer and getting financially stiffed because it never occurred to them that a dealer could be so unethical.
But that is for the consumer to figure out. If a particular buyer cannot educate oneself and walk out of the dealer if they think they are getting a bad deal, then that is on them. You shouldn't feel bad for other people.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-30-17 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-30-17 | 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
the only person you can count on to look out for you 100% of the time is you.
true!

I don't like to support the idea that regulations should somehow take away people's responsibilities to look out for themselves.
agreed! caveat emptor. while i believe that i also believe companies and individuals can use overwhelming power (and marketing, sales techniques, psychology, bribes, etc.) to make it almost impossible for most people to NOT fall for at least some of these tactics. while in many purchase cases it's relatively harmless. look at people who line up around the block to get the star wars tickets or the latest iphones who are completely brainwashed into believing they MUST have it right away, which is obviously ridiculous. but, such brainwashing isn't likely to mess them over too bad. on the other hand, many have no idea they're paying THOUSANDS more for a car than they need to, and while it's easy to say they should be 'responsible' i maintain most are going into a gun fight armed with a stick (no chance).

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But that is for the consumer to figure out. If a particular buyer cannot educate oneself and walk out of the dealer if they think they are getting a bad deal, then that is on them. You shouldn't feel bad for other people.
maybe you don't feel bad for other people, but i do. many who are taken the most advantage of can least afford it.

but back to whether car makers should be able to sell direct, i would like to see this because while you guys are all about the consumer being 'responsible' and 'educated' i'd like dealers be responsible and fair too. maybe a little competition would help.
and again i've no problem if a manufacturer ONLY wanted to sell direct because if they price themselves too high, then they won't succeed... competition among educated consumers, right?
Old 07-30-17 | 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

maybe you don't feel bad for other people, but i do. many who are taken the most advantage of can least afford it.
)
I don't worry or feel bad for other people. I learned decades and decades ago that nobody is looking out for me except myself.

t
and again i've no problem if a manufacturer ONLY wanted to sell direct because if they price themselves too high, then they won't succeed... competition among educated consumers, right?
Can't see the direct pricing working.
Old 07-30-17 | 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't worry or feel bad for other people. I learned decades and decades ago that nobody is looking out for me except myself.
If that were the case, there would be no Car Chat forum. Many new posters come for advice (some of them with good advice themselves), and, of course, we veterans here on the forum also often advise each other. You and I have both had threads on our own purchases.....and those of our families.
Old 07-30-17 | 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would suggest that anybody who brings a stick to a gunfight should learn from that and bring a gun next time.

Not feeling sorry for people and not giving advice are different things. I expend a lot of energy helping people not get screwed...
Old 07-30-17 | 02:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

these things are related. it can be of benefit to you to have concern and empathy for others and it absolutely is a negative if you don't. but hey, whatever works for you.

Can't see the direct pricing working.
no reason not to let it be legal then.
Old 07-30-17 | 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We focus a lot here, in the forum, on low purchase price, but one can be screwed in more ways than just price-gouging. Giving a car away, IMO, is of little value if the same dealership then turns around and gives crappy service, scratches the paint up when putting the car through the wash, forgets to tighten the oil filters or drain plugs down correctly, or gives the owner grief by refusing to do needed warranty work.
Old 07-30-17 | 06:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the sales and service sides are typically run as independent business units i think, so getting a 'great deal' doesn't mean you'll get bad service, or that a 'high margin' for the dealer means you'll get great service.
Old 07-30-17 | 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

the sales and service sides are typically run as independent business units i think, so getting a 'great deal' doesn't mean you'll get bad service, or that a 'high margin' for the dealer means you'll get great service.

Oh, I definitely agree. In fact, that's one reason (among several) why I'm a repeat customer at that particular GM dealership....superb service from one particular service-advisor, who, fortunately, doesn't seem to be moving or retiring any time soon. Anybody can sell you a car......but not everyone can service it (or manage the service on it) properly
Old 07-30-17 | 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is in fact the case
Old 07-30-17 | 09:46 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Why bother having any consumer protectionism then? Is that really what you're advocating?

It depends what you mean by "units". If you mean as separate departments within a business entity, yes. Either way your conclusion is correct, of course.
Old 07-31-17 | 05:11 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

ive yet to see any solid argument for the current business model and protectionism, just goes to show how lowsy it really is.

let the consumer figure it out when its a monopoly and no choices for the consumer? Thats nice

Quick Reply: tesla's real impact - breaking the car dealer monopoly