Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

tesla's real impact - breaking the car dealer monopoly

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
What on earth does that video have anything to do with whether car manufacturers could afford their own dealerships?
Well, if you watched it, with Lutz even more so than with Nardelli, it deals with the expenses and money-losses Tesla has had to deal with since they tried to buck the trend of dealer-franchises. Lutz doesn't think Tesla is going to make it in the long run, at least as an auto manufacturer....I tend to agree.
Old 07-11-17, 06:21 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While Lutz is a titan of the industry and his experience and his views can be valued from the four decades he spent in the business - a few things need to be known to take what he says about Tesla and its business model. You can't really take his CNBC interview without some context.

Lutz has been on a bit of tear with his "trash-talk Tesla" media tour. He has made himself widely available to the financial media. That's how things are done when you want to peddle a viewpoint. It's not personal; he likes Musk and admires him for what he's been able to do, at least publicly.

Lutz is like any retired big-wig from Detroit. He takes on other stuff because he wants to do things and keep working. He is involved in other electric vehicle manufacturers directly or indirectly - specifically VLF and VIA motors. The first one is better known for the Fisker Karma (Lutz actually co-founded VLF). So that's competition for Tesla. The second one, VIA takes GM truck and SUV chassis and modifies them to electric/hybrid.

Lutz also has his own communications consulting company. Essentially you get a hired gun who goes to bat for you. Anything odd about why he's been on a media tour and talked down Tesla?

Anyway, Lutz is a brilliant guy but I would never think that he's just suddenly providing some guru-like wisdom because he's the only expert available on Tesla.
Old 07-11-17, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
While Lutz is a titan of the industry and his experience and his views can be valued from the four decades he spent in the business - a few things need to be known to take what he says about Tesla and its business model. You can't really take his CNBC interview without some context.

Lutz has been on a bit of tear with his "trash-talk Tesla" media tour. He has made himself widely available to the financial media. That's how things are done when you want to peddle a viewpoint. It's not personal; he likes Musk and admires him for what he's been able to do, at least publicly.

Yes, I know he likes Musk personally.....he's said that in other articles and interviews. But liking someone does not mean agreeing with (or copying) they way they do business. John DeLorean, for example, got to the point where he (supposedly?) was running cocaine to support his cash-starved company. I'm not saying that Tesla is doing anything extreme or illegal like that (chances are 99.999% they aren't)...but Lutz, otherwise, still has to be candid about what he perceives as a risky business.
Old 07-11-17, 07:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

I think Lutz is jealous more than anything.
Old 07-11-17, 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Lutz is also 85... lol
Old 07-11-17, 08:30 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Gentlemen, kindly show me one example where it has ever worked in the long run, here in the U.S., and I will kindly drop the subject. Tesla, admittedly, still has the system, but their future, right now, as an automaker, is in some serious doubt.

Here's a good video on the subject. See what Bob Lutz and Bob Nardelli have to say about it......two very experienced auto executives who happen to know a thing or two about bankruptcy themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie0XiOzs5Qc
There is absolutely no argument in this video to prove that automakers cannot afford to sell their own cars in corporate-owned stores. There is absolutely nothing about dealerships in this video at all.

Bob Lutz has a good point though -- glaringly obvious -- that Tesla cannot continue to sell its cars at a loss. Tesla has become a cult and it is being propped by up people who have been drinking at the Elon Musk fountain and are now drunk on the Tesla Kool-Aid. I wholeheartedly agree with Bob Lutz on this. I don't normally listen to him, as I find him to be a bit of a blowhard.

Bob Nardelli has put a good spin on Tesla's market capitalization: GM is undervalued. If Tesla is worth more than GM while operating on a bound-to-fail business model, GM, as a business that has turned itself around and now can make money selling its products, must be undervalued.

I believe that Tesla stock will start to drop in the next 2 years as the Model 3 rolls out, especially if there are problems, such as supply not being able to meet demand, production numbers being much lower than promised and/or technical problems with the Autopilot advanced driver-assistance system.
Old 07-11-17, 08:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

If Tesla didn't build the Gigafactory they'd be making a tidy profit right now but obviously their growth potential would be limited. Because Tesla is heavily invested in expansion a simple divide by calculation says they lose 20k on every vehicle sold, but Tesla's costs and production is not a mostly fixed equation like an established auto maker.

Put another way, Tesla is not going to lose 20k on every car they sell going forward, as production ramps up their gross margins will remain about the same and the line trends towards profit.
Old 07-11-17, 09:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lutz is also 85... lol
With age often comes wisdom.
Old 07-11-17, 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With age often comes wisdom.
and senility and death or at least being woefully stuck in the past and out of touch with the present.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-11-17 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 09:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

and senility and death or at least being woefully stuck in the past and out of touch with the present.
Lutz isn't anywhere near that point yet. His management also went a long way towards bringing GM out of the Dark Ages.

I do personally, though, disagree with Lutz on one thing (it wasn't a subject he discussed in that particular article). He feels that wagon-wheels and rubber-band tires are here to stay. From what I've seen, more and more people are getting fed up with their (generally...not always) stiff ride, lack of impact/pothole protection, ease of damage, relative lack of winter traction, and high expense of replacement. The "coolness" factor of filling up the entire wheel-well can only go so far before some realities set in.

Buick, of course, a GM brand itself, is finding this out the hard way. They can't give away Lacrosses with the 20" wheel option (even to me LOL) ....and the standard (one is stuck with them) 20" wheels and stiff ride on the Cascada convertible have impacted its sales-appeal......just as I predicted. If Buick would simply put less-aggressive rubber on it, it would probably sell in numbers like the former Chrysler convertibles.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-11-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 09:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

i can buy an apple or dell computer directly from apple or dell, or i can buy them at best buy or other stores. why should cars be different? i know you've said you're ok with manufacturers selling direct if there's still a 3rd party (dealer) system as well.
You should be able to. But not both. Having a dealer owned site and and franchised owned site across town puts an unfair advantage to the dealer.

As for comments on Apple setting prices, I should of used a different word or scheme, they do whats called "Price Maintenance" and they give incentives to retailers and they control how the product marketing works. But yes, price setting would be illegal. Now, if Apple did not sell their own items, and they relied on third party for all sales, the cost to the third party would be lower than what they are doing right now. So, if this was the case, and there was true competition among selling Apple products, the prices would come down from where they are right now.

I stand by the notion that prices for cars are lower because of dealer competition selling a product they presumably paid the same for.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-11-17 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 09:56 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Statistics don't back that up. Overwhelmingly houses sold by owners on their own sell for less, and more than 6% less.
I'd like to see the statistics and if such statistic exists I'd like to know who paid for it. Is there any statistic that is not paid by national association of realtors?
Please share.

Here is how statistic for sale by owner works.

If I sell my car I will sell it for 10K but dealer will sell same used car for 12K but if I trade car in I will get 7K. Which is better?
Old 07-11-17, 10:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
I'd like to see the statistics and if such statistic exists I'd like to know who paid for it. Is there any statistic that is not paid by national association of realtors?
Please share.
Realtors add value.This is why you pay them the money. Realtors have chosen the career, they’re trained and certified, they have specialized tools, a community of support and a code of conduct. What that value means to one is their choice. I would never try to sell either of my properties privately.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-11-17 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 11:25 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
This makes absolutely no sense at all. This is what I call "blinded by your preconceptions" (and there is a lot of that in this thread), and unwilling to look at a different way of doing things.

What you are saying is that huge automakers, like Toyota or GM or Ford, cannot afford to sell their own cars, yet some guy who has begged, borrowed, stolen and mortgaged to scrape together a few million dollars to open a dealership CAN afford to sell cars.

It is not a question of not being able to AFFORD to sell cars, it is the age-old mentality (in the USA) about free enterprise being able to do it better, and then not being legally allowed to directly sell their own cars (in many states of the USA) that is keeping automakers from selling their own cars.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Mercedes-Benz dealerships in the largest markets in Canada (Toronto and Vancouver) are owned by Mercedes-Benz and they seem to be doing well.
So I guess those mfg brand dealerships are also choosing to adjust sticker and give everyone a better deal then everyone else since they have the lowest overhead of them all
Old 07-11-17, 11:40 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Keeping all the talking points in together, I still dont get it though, centralized warehousing, just in time mfging but still prices wont be lowered, dealerships will become part of the operating costs what benefit does the end consumer get?

In addition, used market values wont magically increase just because the new car store buying process is different. Teslas still depreciate pretty standard to established luxury players.

Quick Reply: tesla's real impact - breaking the car dealer monopoly