Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brief Update on my Buick LaCrosse order

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 07:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What really got me upset, was the training and maco fees. This was slick....they are on the invoice--but not online. List/window sticker does not have them. I remember on the forum people said always work back from list, not the other way around, but I didn't know why. So at the time, they wanted list or $500 off on a 2007 335i coupe, in late '06. I managed to wrangle $1700 off list, which was pretty high based on the forum. So they tried to pull the, "Marcie forgot to add the training and maco fees of $1,800, we just need you to come in and sign the new sales order." I was enraged to the point of telling them to cancel. The first try was, "Come in and look at my screen, these are legit fees that everyone pays." I simply said I don't pay them. hahahahahahaha and I was clueless as to what they were at the time...don't care, a deal is a deal.

edit how my dad cuts through the b*** is he says out the door price. Period. And remove all that vin etching, pinstripe, conveyance fee, blah blah blah...Honda wouldn't play, but Buick did....
On most recent BMW purchase in March they didn't have the maco or training fees, but they did have a few dealer add ons like nitrogen, front all-weather mats and some kind of glass protection but they were easily waived when I told them I wasn't interested. Overall a decent experience.
Old 07-14-17, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

mmarshall, glad you know 'exactly' what you're doing and your financial situation means you don't care about 1-2% or a thousand or whatever variation in price. of course with trade-in value being unknown you could still be royally taken advantage of but of course the dealer can't commit on that front because your new car isn't there. but anyway, it's your deal and i'm sure it will go fine.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And did you edit the thread title?...
yes, 'brief update' was too vague. not everyone knows you and the new car situation.

It means that the order will be expedited, and given priority
i don't believe it, but if you believe it, that's all that matters.
Old 07-14-17, 07:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mmarshall, glad you know 'exactly' what you're doing and your financial situation means you don't care about 1-2% or a thousand or whatever variation in price. of course with trade-in value being unknown you could still be royally taken advantage of but of course the dealer can't commit on that front because your new car isn't there. but anyway, it's your deal and i'm sure it will go fine.
I don't claim to know it all, but I do know the place and the people I'm dealing with. By auto-dealer standards, they aren't crooks.....though dealer-standards admittedly aren't always completely honest LoL.

i don't believe it, but if you believe it, that's all that matters.
Not a big deal with me either way. I'm not in a hurry. Besides, I know I post a lot in Car Chat LOL, but I actually have other things in my life I'm concerned with....my life does not completely revolve around cars.
Old 07-14-17, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
On most recent BMW purchase in March they didn't have the maco or training fees, but they did have a few dealer add ons like nitrogen, front all-weather mats and some kind of glass protection but they were easily waived when I told them I wasn't interested. Overall a decent experience.
The front rubber mats are very useful keeping the car clean in sloppy weather. It's nice, of course, if they will toss that in with the deal for free (sometimes they do, sometimes not). But, even if not, IMO, they are often worth what it costs for custom, factory-fitted ones.

Nitrogen in the tires, for street use, IMO, is mostly just a gimmick....I'd pass up on it. And nitrogen can leak out and be gone just like regular air...though somewhat less likely to do so.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-14-17 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-14-17, 07:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
interesting, on my car, they gave me winter and summer mats free.....they didn't have either when I picked up the car so I got pep boys mats, but they gave me a "we owe" slip so I could get it when they did come in. Never used the summer mats they were cheap. The winters are made in USA by that weather**** co. and are bad too. Get caught in the clutch--imagine if Toyota ever made mats that got caught lol

Maybe training and maco is a late 2000's thing? It killed people who did the Euro Delivery, they hated it....

Again maybe my dad's and MM's way are more sane, just don't sweat the details, it all works out anyway....

p.s GM winter mats are/were made in S Korea and way better than BMWs....interesting to me....
Old 07-14-17, 11:07 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't claim to know it all...
you don't?!
Old 07-14-17, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Nitrogen in the tires, for street use, IMO, is mostly just a gimmick....
how can something be 'mostly just a gimmick' - isn't it either a gimmick or not?

and i agree, since AIR is 76% nitrogen, i don't need to pay for 100% nitrogen since i'm not driving a formula 1 race car in competition.
Old 07-14-17, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

how can something be 'mostly just a gimmick' - isn't it either a gimmick or not?
IMO, it's mostly a gimimck for street use, because it doesn't add that many benefits for normal street use, though it might be a good option for owners who do autocrossing or other motorsports.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-17 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-14-17, 11:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

and i agree, since AIR is 76% nitrogen, i don't need to pay for 100% nitrogen since i'm not driving a formula 1 race car in competition.
When my wife's car came home with those cool green caps, I expected life to be different. It wasn't. Not only that, but from my experience, nitrogen DOES respond to ambient temp (at least whatever it is being dispensed at the warehouse club). Well, the green caps are cool....
Old 07-14-17, 12:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
you don't?!
Touché
Old 07-14-17, 08:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

. Still have no idea what the sticker-price (MSRP) will end up being , with all of the equipment/marketing/rebate changes....some things on it will drop, others will increase.
From what I understand, the 2018 Lacrosse will have a significant price drop for all trim lines. However, less content will be offered I believe.
Old 07-14-17, 09:54 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Any idea if GM plans to bring the full hybrid model over?
Old 07-15-17, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
Any idea if GM plans to bring the full hybrid model over?
I think, for now, it's pretty much a Chinese-market version. The version sold here will be a mild-hybrid. For one thing, they probably couldn't afford to sell the full-hybrid here at the 30K base price they are asking for the American-spec, mild version...they would lose money on it.
Old 07-15-17, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
When my wife's car came home with those cool green caps, I expected life to be different. It wasn't. Not only that, but from my experience, nitrogen DOES respond to ambient temp (at least whatever it is being dispensed at the warehouse club). Well, the green caps are cool....
Well, each to his own, I guess, but what's cool about looking at green caps? To me, that's like looking at the yellow-painted end of an oil dipstick.
Old 07-15-17, 07:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
From what I understand, the 2018 Lacrosse will have a significant price drop for all trim lines. However, less content will be offered I believe.
The main difference is that the (formerly) standard 3.6L V6 and Aisin-built 8-speed automatic (which GM bought from Aisin only for the 2017 models) will be replaced by the 2.5L four-cylinder parallel-hybrid system and the ubiquitous 6-speed automatic (same basic transmission I have in my Verano). The V6 and new 9-speed automatic will now be an option. Another major change is the expansion of the AWD option to both the Essence and Premium versions.....it was formerly only on the Premium.

And, of course, several of the colors will change....four dropped, three or four added, depending on source.

There is no further decontenting that I know of...which is fine, because the Preferred trim model pretty much has what I want (and need) on it, anyway. I'm not into a lot of frills....especially electronic frills....and the 20" wheel option, for me, is an absolute no-no. I simply like the smooth quiet ride and silky powertrain this car gives. The Essence or Premium, for me, would be a waste of money....Premium trim-levels start at over 40K, and can run close to 50K loaded. I could afford that if I wanted (in fact, I looked at some 45-50K competitors, like the Lincoln MKZ, Lexus ES350, and Genesis G80), but I'm happy with what I'm getting, in the price-range it will run....and I'll have some money left over in the bank.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-17 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Brief Update on my Buick LaCrosse order