Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brief Update on my Buick LaCrosse order

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't claim to know it all...
Originally Posted by davyjordi
you don't?!
Originally Posted by Lexbob2
Touché
If I did know everything, Gentlemen, I wouldn't have to go to church on Sunday, or say my daily prayers. No one is infallible. But, with this deal, I pretty much know what I'm getting.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-17 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-15-17, 08:26 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I think, for now, it's pretty much a Chinese-market version. The version sold here will be a mild-hybrid. For one thing, they probably couldn't afford to sell the full-hybrid here at the 30K base price they are asking for the American-spec, mild version...they would lose money on it.
Yeah, the logic of these global carmakers and their bazillion model variants... Anyway, the Malibu hybrid uses a 1.8 (instead of the puny 1.5 on the Chinese LaCrosse hybrid) to get 180 system hp, so there's no reason why GM couldn't use a tweaked version of that drivetrain to get 200 hp on a hypothetical American LaCrosse hybrid. That would give it similar performance to an ES300h while being much cheaper.

If the Mondeo or LaCrosse hybrid had been available three years ago, I would probably have gotten one of them instead of the ES. I remember paying almost $5 a gallon for 93 octane three years ago; now it's $4 a gallon but drivers in China are still going nuts over SUVs and compact crossovers.

As Mr Spock once said - most illogical
Old 07-15-17, 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
Yeah, the logic of these global carmakers and their bazillion model variants... Anyway, the Malibu hybrid uses a 1.8 (instead of the puny 1.5 on the Chinese LaCrosse hybrid) to get 180 system hp, so there's no reason why GM couldn't use a tweaked version of that drivetrain to get 200 hp on a hypothetical American LaCrosse hybrid. That would give it similar performance to an ES300h while being much cheaper.

If the Mondeo or LaCrosse hybrid had been available three years ago, I would probably have gotten one of them instead of the ES. I remember paying almost $5 a gallon for 93 octane three years ago; now it's $4 a gallon but drivers in China are still going nuts over SUVs and compact crossovers.

As Mr Spock once said - most illogical

Well, you certainly didn't go wrong by getting an ES Hybrid...though not an inexpensive car by any means, I'd say you spent your money wisely. I considered a non-hybrid ES myself before I settled on a Lacrosse. The ES, except for some of the older 3.0L V6 and the sludge/gel problem, has generally had an exemplary reliability record (probably the best in its class), and the paint job, overall assembly quality, and general level of fit/finish is excellent. My only complaint with current-genenration ES models is that the sheet metal, door/trunk/hood closings, and some of the interior plastics/hardware have a light, unsubstantial feel.....but for me, that alone would not necessarily have been a deal-breaker.
Old 07-15-17, 08:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Yeah, the logic of these global carmakers and their bazillion model variants...
easy to be a critic, there is also the matter of national and regional regulations, which force car makers to make unnatural decisions.
Old 07-16-17, 07:43 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

If I did know everything, Gentlemen, I wouldn't have to go to church on Sunday, or say my daily prayers. No one is infallible. But, with this deal, I pretty much know what I'm getting.
I think the snarky joke flew straight over your head which is a shame because you need a bit of humbling.
Old 07-16-17, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

ok enough of the personal remarks. if you like mmarshall, i can close this and you can start another (or ask a mod to reopen this one) when you have news?
Old 07-16-17, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok enough of the personal remarks
Thank You.

i can close this and you can start another (or ask a mod to reopen this one) when you have news?
Fine, bit.....go ahead. I probably won't have anything more to add until it comes in. Besides, IMO, there's been enough endless talk of me and my new car. Others in this forum are also getting new vehicles.....and they deserve some air time.