Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 08:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there you go with your sweeping statements again... perhaps you don't spend much time in florida where there's thousands of sedans way more expensive than an avalon owned by seniors.

while neither us knows for sure as you say, i'd bet money the average new avalon buyer is 60+

yeah as allen says, some zip ties and good to go.

that's the craziest rationalization i've ever read... because it's low volume let's make it unbelievably fugly since it won't matter that much LOL

and many on here roundly trashed the new accord front...
Most seniors do not have the money for these cars. Never said all. North America is bigger than just Florida. Toyota would not being able to support an Avalon line of model if it were just seniors buying them. There is a reason why they have offered touring models since 05.
Old 01-15-18, 08:51 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interior is interesting, will hold final judgement to see it in person and check out the quality. The exterior, holly crap that is awful! I often wonder what all the designers and engineers say as they stand around their final design, doesn't anyone raise their hand and say "folks I think we have designed a camel with this one." My guess is that everyone stands silently nodding in approval while dying a little inside.
Old 01-15-18, 09:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

now we know why they teased with the tail lights.

Old 01-15-18, 09:02 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good grief! That is one ugly car. Boring side profile, hideous whale shark gape mouth and strange droopy back end when you look at it from the side. Who were they aiming this at? Guys with seeing-eye dogs and people who approach their cars with blindfolds on?

The inside is a little better with nice looking color and materials - but that silly infotainment tablet jutting up like that... Toyota, time to get some new stylists.
Old 01-15-18, 09:03 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That front end is just terrible. No words.
Old 01-15-18, 09:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

better buy the car in black.
Old 01-15-18, 09:28 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This would look a lot better if they just covered the grills under the headlights. Just looks cartoonish and needlessly large. The center grill would look good if the outer grills were gone or diminished.

Other than that, I think it looks pretty good, although the interior looks ripped from the latest Honda Accord to a certain extent.

I'm glad they are finally offering Apple Car Play; just need Android Auto now. Also, they should move to a full digital instrument cluster and get rid of the analog gauges.

now we know why they teased with the tail lights.

Old 01-15-18, 09:35 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The goal would be to appeal to a 45-55 year old demographic. Seniors generally don't have the cash for these new expensive cars. This new Avalon is going to get a serious price hike at top end I believe.
Seniors are mainly the only ones who can realistically afford to buy nicer cars these days. 45-55 is way too young and is not the age bracket who is going to buy a car like a Avalon or larger more expensive comfy sedan. 44-55 is the age bracket for a Camry.

What is wrong with car designers these days or car companies forcing them to design some of these monstrosities, especially the big ugly grills/maws. New Avalon looks terrible, like a transformer in mid change, it will likely turn older buyers off who want a simpler more elegant design and also don't want to deal with annoying touchscreen interfaces.

Last edited by UDel; 01-15-18 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 09:45 AM
praveenc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, it doesn't look that bad in darker colors. But I'd rather just a Camry, and if I don't want that, I'll stick to an ES.
Old 01-15-18, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Also, they should move to a full digital instrument cluster and get rid of the analog gauges.
Analog (or at least analog-style) its used for good reason. Many people still prefer it. Some vehicles (Buicks are a good example) allow you to add a large digital speedometer readout in the middle of the analog speedo if desired.
Old 01-15-18, 10:37 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow, just wow on that front grill...AND I'm a huge fan/defender of lexus spindle grill.

Everything else, I don't mind.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Huh...going to have to chew on this one for a while.
No worry, that huge grill is doing all the chewing whatever is in its path, from little baby to road kill
Old 01-15-18, 11:57 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it looks pretty nice. I dont get why they included full width taillights if its not going to all light up.

Old 01-15-18, 02:15 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I like it,.. depending on my situation in 2 years it might be what replaces the both of our current vehicles.
Old 01-15-18, 02:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

wondering will the grill be black on all trims or just touring?

Old 01-15-18, 02:37 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

wondering will the grill be black on all trims or just touring?
Interestingly enough, there are two trims: sports with the black maw and the normal with the bars (just like the Camry). The ladder looks a lot more inline with traditional Avalon design.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon