Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 09:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I think the Avalon"s age bracket is well over 60. 55 is way too young for people to be interested in cars like the Avalon but there are a few exceptions I am sure. I am pretty young and nowhere near the age bracket but I have always been somewhat interested in a Avalon because I have always liked bigger sedans, especially ones that are nicer then standard mid sized family sedans though I can't say I ever wanted a Avalon. If it was a choice between a Avalon and Camry I would take the Avalon simply because it is nicer. I liked the Cressida when it was out though I was really young but I still saw it had a nice interior with more features then the avg Camry.
Though yes, it is true that more Avalon-supporters are over 50 than under, you would be surprised at the number of younger people that like this type of car....in its traditional comfort-oriented mode. You and I are not that uncommon an exception. One does not have to be a Geezer to appreciate comfort over bumps.
Old 01-17-18, 09:51 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Horrible grille aside, it has some of the coolest and sinister headlight shapes and elements. Too bad.
Mostly because they were taken straight out of the new Audis

Old 01-17-18, 10:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Something cool to the new Avalon:

Auto Glide Control (AGC), yet another of Avalon’s fuel-saving technologies, automatically calculates efficient coasting. When driving normally, engine braking will slow the vehicle down when the driver lifts off from the accelerator pedal. However, to avoid aggressive engine braking, AGC limits the loss of vehicle speed through an automatic drive setting that acts more like a neutral gear, allowing the vehicle to coast to the stoplight.

A light indicating “AGC” is illuminated on the Multi-Information Display (MID) when AGC is active to alert the driver that less deceleration torque than normal is currently being used. AGC can only be activated when the vehicle is being operated in the ECO drive mode setting.
Old 01-17-18, 10:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Styling was done on purpose. You want a reaction from people. Worse thing would no reaction such as a “meh” attitude. I do t think there are any members on her who actually have ever owned an Avalon. So a response from anyone on here (good or bad) the styling is working
There is at least one. I had a 2004 XLS. Coincidentally just before turning 60. Not a bad car car but generally forgettable. Soft quiet ride with awful steering/handling and braking. When seen on the road this gen looks really frumpy. The new gen is a no go for me.
Old 01-17-18, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I think the Avalon"s age bracket is well over 60. 55 is way too young for people to be interested in cars like the Avalon but there are a few exceptions I am sure..
Not according to Toyota. The average age of the 2013 redesign is 52. People need to check the facts before they make false claims.

". The fourth generation Avalon was launched for the 2013 model year and Toyota has seen the average age drop to 52. "

http://www.rightfootdown.com/cars/re...toyota-avalon/
Old 01-17-18, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

While the avg buyer age might be debated, how about gender? I bet it's 99% men
Old 01-17-18, 10:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
While the avg buyer age might be debated, how about gender? I bet it's 99% men
How is the average age debated if Toyota says it was lowered to 52? It would be illegal for them to lie like this.
Old 01-17-18, 10:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The Touring looks cheap, no thanks. I do like the horizontal grill though. Doesn't look bad to me either since it pays some homage to the Toyota Crown and it's wild grilles.

Looks snazzy. I like the saddle interior. Centerstack doesn't look the best, trying to think who else does something similar. Maybe Volvo or Ford?
Old 01-17-18, 11:14 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
There could be two reasons for the reception the Avalon has received here. The styling is polarizing and not many CL members in the Avalon's age demographic (55-60 or so?).
After years of subtle styling that some found boring, Toyota seems to have gone overboard with the current fashion trend of very sharp creases that are unresolved, starting end ending suddenly, and are incongruent and non-parallel.

These fashion trends are often polarizing -- some like the styling while others do not -- and seldom age well.

No more boring cars, indeed!
Old 01-17-18, 11:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
After years of subtle styling that some found boring, Toyota seems to have gone overboard with the current fashion trend of very sharp creases that are unresolved, starting end ending suddenly, and are incongruent and non-parallel.

These fashion trends are often polarizing -- some like the styling while others do not -- and seldom age well.

No more boring cars, indeed!
Right...and Toyota has increased their sales each year while "everyone loves Hyundai" is dragging at a 13% loss year over years and GM cannot get people to buy Buick's without a 25% discount....seems to me it is working for Toyota.
Old 01-17-18, 11:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

In 2017 Avalon sales were -32% (32.5k cars). They were -52% in Dec. The new gen won't be a cakewalk but it's good that Toyota is sticking with it in spite of the popularity of CUV's and SUV's.
Old 01-17-18, 11:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In 2017 Avalon sales were -32% (32.5k cars). They were -52% in Dec. The new gen won't be a cakewalk but it's good that Toyota is sticking with it in spite of the popularity of CUV's and SUV's.
My comments were based on the brand. Not the model.
Old 01-17-18, 01:08 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Right...and Toyota has increased their sales each year while "everyone loves Hyundai" is dragging at a 13% loss year over years and GM cannot get people to buy Buick's without a 25% discount....seems to me it is working for Toyota.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ngs/101502702/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...aker/97234320/

In 2016, apparently TMC lost the world's top selling car position to VW.
Worse, TMC's net profits fell by 20.8%.
2017 is forecasted to fall further.

Hence no more boring cars to the rescue...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-17-18 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 01:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ngs/101502702/

Hence no more boring cars to the rescue...

Only talking North America.
Old 01-17-18, 02:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The final 2017 figures are going to be interesting. VW may (?) lose that top-dog position because of the big diesel-scandal and the enormous publicity it got. But, with Toyota, it's much the same as with Honda.....people are buying those two brands primarily out of decades-old-habit, not realizing (or doing enough shopping to notice) that other brands, today, especially Hyundai and Kia, have caught up to or, in some cases, even surpassed them in value.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon