Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 06:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
It's going to be interesting to see if this so-called "polarizing" styling is going to have an effect. Just because you style something and it has some pickup due to trends and fashions doesn't mean it will last. The 1st through 3rd generation Avalons were Japanese Buicks and they sold quite well for people who valued reliability, cushy ride and innocuous style. You could even get a bench seat and a column shift on some of the earlier models.

The 4th generation (2012 - 2018) is a nicely styled car and it packs all the tech you could want for those years. Toyota did a great job on that car's looks, even if it wasn't over the top.

Here's the conundrum - one of the most inoffensively styled cars from Germany regularly outsells the Avalon, and it's called the Passat. Year in, year out, the Passat outscores the Avalon in sales. Only when Toyota redid Avalon with the 4th generation, did sales really pick up for two years and then declined again, and that car does not have polarizing looks at all.

VW sold 96K Passats in 2014, even 60+K in 2017, while Avalon did 67K in 2014 and declined to 32K in 2017. How does a bland looking Passat outsell a restyled Avalon through all these years? Where is this particular styling experiment going to end?

Sometimes bland sells for these buyers, so gambling with edgy styling is a big risk.
Urgh, Passat is Camry competitor and it sells pretty bad for car built only for USA... it is outsold by Camry 4 to 1.

Avalon starts $10k more expensive than Passat.
Old 01-17-18, 06:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ngs/101502702/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...aker/97234320/

In 2016, apparently TMC lost the world's top selling car position to VW.
Worse, TMC's net profits fell by 20.8%.
2017 is forecasted to fall further.

Hence no more boring cars to the rescue...
You do realize that Toyota is by far the most profitable manufacturer in the world, even when Yen does not work for them?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1D70JC

Toyota said on Tuesday it now expects full-year operating profit to come in at 2.0 trillion yen ($17.54 billion), up from a previous forecast of 1.85 trillion yen, based on a revised assumption that the yen will trade around 111 yen JPY= to the U.S. dollar, from 110 yen.

The updated profit forecast number is more or less similar to last year’s operating profit of 1.99 trillion yen and in line with forecasts of a profit of 2.04 trillion from analysts polled by Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Them selling 100k cars more or less is not that important... Renault/Nissan/Mitsu will likely be one for 2017... and Toyota actually won 2016 despite VW wanting so bad to fake the numbers like they did in 2010.
https://dailykanban.com/2017/10/worl...es-2016-title/

Surprisingly to many (but not to me) OICA decided that Toyota was World’s Largest Automaker 2016, and not Volkswagen.
But sure, no boring cars anymore... New generation is liking them crazy.
Old 01-17-18, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Them selling 100k cars more or less is not that important... Renault/Nissan/Mitsu will likely be one for 2017... and Toyota actually won 2016 despite VW wanting so bad to fake the numbers like they did in 2010.
I tend to take sales-lists like that with a grain of salt. In a number of ways, who is actually first, second, third, etc....depends on just how the numbers are arrived at, fleet sales vs. private-sales, how many smaller companies and corporations are owned or partly-owned by the parent corporation, how long a specific model-year of a specific vehicle is actually on the market, and a number of other factors. It can be quite complex, even for computers.
Old 01-17-18, 06:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,805 Likes on 2,372 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I regards to bland styling. How well is a very conservative LaCrosse selling? Or a Taurus? I heard the Fusion is getting the axe. Same for the Impala? Yet here we have a brand new Avalon.
Those cars don't sell because over the years for the most part they suck.
Old 01-17-18, 06:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
You do realize that Toyota is by far the most profitable manufacturer in the world, even when Yen does not work for them?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1D70JC

But sure, no boring cars anymore... New generation is liking them crazy.
spwolf, like you say, TMC is the richest auto manufacturer in the world with equity [assets less liabilities] of some US$153 billion, while Daimler AG only has US$60+ billion.

Yet why does Akio have to tell all his staff to stop making boring cars?
Why do we have to have all these numerous sharped lined cars with firm suspension?
This is what makes cars interesting???

Old 01-17-18, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Those cars don't sell because over the years for the most part they suck.
It's because the SUV market is eating them up. There is nothing wrong with them as sedans......a lot of people just don't want large sedans any more. They have moved into upmarket SUVs like the RX, MDX, Q5, Enclave, XT5, X5, GL, etc......

Yes, I happen to like traditional large and luxury sedans.. So does Aron9000....and perhaps a few other posters on Car Chat. But, yes, by today's standards, we are probably in the minority.
Old 01-17-18, 06:44 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I regards to bland styling. How well is a very conservative LaCrosse selling? Or a Taurus? I heard the Fusion is getting the axe. Same for the Impala? Yet here we have a brand new Avalon.
And yet Passat with its innocuous styling routinely outsells Avalon. Now it's obvious that Passat is sort of an odd outlier in this segment. That's because people don't associate Passat with luxury flagship. They just see it as a nicely optioned longer wheelbase Jetta with nice flourishes before you step up to Audi. With Passat you're still stuck with a transverse fwd biased platform, but with the best of VW's sporty suspension touches. Avalon is not associated with sporty, but with near-Lexus luxury.

The next big comparison test will likely see Passat vs Avalon and some of the others. The others don't have enough brand cachet here, so they're doing ok but not great. Passat is the one that VW buyers go for more often before they think about Audi vs Toyota buyers choosing Avalon before they buy a Lexus.

Toyota is taking a big risk. Once the car hits showrooms, that will determine what happens. But right now, Passat has the AWD option to keep buyers from fleeing to a butched up crossover. It has also cultivated a brand cachet with sporty image and driving dynamics. Toyota is obviously trying to eat into this market. Hence the styling broo-ha-ha that they wanted to generate. If the Avalon doesn't live up to its edgy styling, then that attention won't last.
Old 01-17-18, 06:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's because the SUV market is eating them up.
Not really. At one time the Taurus sold is huge numbers, then they redesigned it and the car looked like a deformed egg. SUVs are eating up sales no doubt but the sedan still sells in big numbers from the likes of Honda and Toyota.
And yet Passat with its innocuous styling routinely outsells Avalon
Completely different price points/market.
Old 01-17-18, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And yet Passat with its innocuous styling routinely outsells Avalon. Now it's obvious that Passat is sort of an odd outlier in this segment. That's because people don't associate Passat with luxury flagship. They just see it as a nicely optioned longer wheelbase Jetta with nice flourishes before you step up to Audi. With Passat you're still stuck with a transverse fwd biased platform, but with the best of VW's sporty suspension touches. Avalon is not associated with sporty, but with near-Lexus luxury.

The next big comparison test will likely see Passat vs Avalon and some of the others. The others don't have enough brand cachet here, so they're doing ok but not great. Passat is the one that VW buyers go for more often before they think about Audi vs Toyota buyers choosing Avalon before they buy a Lexus.

Toyota is taking a big risk. Once the car hits showrooms, that will determine what happens. But right now, Passat has the AWD option to keep buyers from fleeing to a butched up crossover. It has also cultivated a brand cachet with sporty image and driving dynamics. Toyota is obviously trying to eat into this market. Hence the styling broo-ha-ha that they wanted to generate. If the Avalon doesn't live up to its edgy styling, then that attention won't last.
You have to remember, Matty, that the current-generation North American Passat is much different from that sold in Europe and a number of other areas. VW did that deliberately, to make the car more palatable to American customers, who found the old (and international) version too small, too sport-oriented, and not roomy or comfortable enough inside. In other words, for the American market, it became a German Camry. The Vanilla treatment worked, at least to some extent.
Old 01-17-18, 06:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

New Avalon touring is going to have that floor mounted pedal. It will do fine for Toyota.
Old 01-17-18, 07:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

2017 Passat starts at $23580 the 2017 Avalon $39,900.
Old 01-17-18, 07:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
2017 Passat starts at $23580 the 2017 Avalon $39,900.
Gotta say, they don’t compare at all. Nice to see some people are checking facts. 👍
Old 01-17-18, 07:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
spwolf, like you say, TMC is the richest auto manufacturer in the world with equity [assets less liabilities] of some US$153 billion, while Daimler AG only has US$60+ billion.

Yet why does Akio have to tell all his staff to stop making boring cars?
Why do we have to have all these numerous sharped lined cars with firm suspension?
This is what makes cars interesting???
I am not so sure what do you mean exactly why. I like these sharp cars. I agree that in past some went too hard on firming up but I think their new TNGA cars are really well sorted when it comes to balance between ride and comfort. They invested a lot of money into suspensions and it seems to be paying back, C-HR particularly as a first worldwide TNGA vehicle sold really, really well even if it doesnt have strong engine in the US. Prius got top marks for its suspension and so did Camry. So Akios push seems to be working really well. In same class, we have main competition going with much simpler suspension setups.

As to the design, i prefer crazy ones from today, to those older models. I also like their interiors much, much better. Keep in mind that it takes 5-6 years to design the car, so I think decisions they are making with Akio on helm are much better than what they made in late 90's.
Old 01-17-18, 07:04 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally when I saw the new Camry, it didn't really put me off but it did look different (which is what I think Toyota is going for). This Avalon just looks ridiculous with it's stupidly massive grill. I would understand them wanting to inject some sport into the Camry but to me, the Avalon is a smooth/relaxed cruiser. What focus groups are they talking to that suggested a SPORTY Avalon?

Sure Toyota was viewed as bland/boring but that doesn't mean they need to make ALL of their vehicles sporty looking. They should've taken the Camry's front end, classed it up a bit, and left it at that.
Old 01-17-18, 07:16 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 712 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by GES
For some reason Toyota is more successful in the exterior design of SUVs and trucks than cars. I like the look of the RAV 4, Highlander and 4 runner. Even the trucks look good. But for some reason they struggle with car designs. Not just the new Avalon. Look at the new prius, horrible. Or Maybe Toyota cars are designed more for reliability, function , and space and not so much for looks. If Toyota cars looked sexy less people would buy Lexus.
I agree, but then look at the new Camry. It actually looks good. Go figure.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon