Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 06:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The 1st gen Avalon maxed sales at 77,000+ units/year USA.
The 2nd gen Avalon had the record at 104k/yr.
The 3rd gen Avalon did almost as well with 95k/yr.
The 4th gen Avalon [which I thought was the most handsome] fell to a peak of only 70k+/yr - probably due to modern vertical space growth in the form of SUV/CUV's like Highlander etc.

I agree the 1Gen Avalon was not as popular as its successors, partly because it was a new model to the U.S., was not well-advertised or marked at the time, and, of course, was in the shadow of the immensely-popular Camry. But (although this is subjective), I still maintain that its road-manners and, to an extent, build-quality, were better than its later versions. I found the 4Gen, especially, when it debuted in 2013, to be a major disappointment....though some improvements were made for the mid-cycle refresh in 2016.
Old 01-24-18, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I found the 4Gen, especially, when it debuted in 2013, to be a major disappointment....though some improvements were made for the mid-cycle refresh in 2016.
Almost everyone but you finds disappointment in the 13 Avalon. It is considered the top of the segment by most professional publications, ahead of the more modern and updated LaCrosse. I think it is considered on of the quietest cars you can find. Even quieter than a Buick LaCrosse and LS460 models.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-24-18 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-24-18, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Almost everyone buy you finds disappointment in the 13 Avalon. It is considered the top of the segment by most professional publications, ahead of the more modern and updated LaCrosse. I think it is considered on of the quietest cars you can find. Even quieter than a Buick LaCrosse and LS460 models.
Nope. I disagree....and am going to continue to do so. If my opinion doesn't follow the crowd....so be it....I think for myself. Today's (2016+) Avalon is noticeably better than the 2013. But my opinion, even then, was certainly not alone.......Toyota did not make the suspension-changes it did for the mid-cycle 2016 for nothing. The fact is, whether you want to admit it or not, they got a lot of complaints from the 2013-2015 customers.

See for yourself..........

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ooths-the-ride

Revised 2016 Toyota Avalon Smoothens the Ride

Consumer-driven improvements go more than skin deep

By Jeff S. Bartlett
October 16, 2015With its 2013 redesign, the Toyota Avalon compromised its ride in an attempt to improve handling, sacrificing a coddling characteristic that defined this large, front-drive sedan. While trying to steer the Avalon toward a more youthful buyer, this decision alienated some traditional customers and jostled others. With the 2016 update, it is clear that Toyota learned its lesson the hard way and rectified the car with a significantly improved ride.

Toyota engineers explain that returning customers were critical of this dynamic shift. This audience is vital to the manufacturer, as the Avalon enjoys an exceptionally high 40 percent model loyalty rate. Those dedicated drivers weren’t alone in their criticism.

Consumer Reports states in our road test: “The redesigned 2013 Avalon has lost the supreme ride comfort and isolation that once set it apart from most other cars. Touring and Limited trims have a stiff, brittle ride that's completely out of character for an upscale car. Bumps and ruts strike through with pronounced impacts that can hit home hard.”

To address its divergent goals, Toyota has introduced a second suspension setup, giving Avalon buyers a choice of Comfort and Touring. The Comfort configuration was developed to preserve some of last year’s handling response while providing a more accommodating ride. The Comfort set-up will be on 75 percent of Avalons including the hybrid version. Unfortunately, existing customers won’t be able to just bolt on those changes.

To achieve the ride/handling balance on the Comfort suspension, engineers tweaked the stabilizer bars, shock valving, and springs. Driven in the real world, even with the 18-inch tires in the Avalon Limited we tried, the ride is now much more absorbent and body motions are slow and gentle, giving the car a much statelier feel. Handling remains responsive with a fairly prompt steering response and no excessive body lean.

In addition to the suspension tweaks, a freshened face is the most obvious exterior change for the 2016 Toyota Avalon, highlighted by a new grille, turn signals, LED taillights, and rear chrome trim. More appreciated are tweaks to interior chrome to reduce distracting reflections, improved seat comfort, and enhanced brake feel.

Old 01-24-18, 07:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

not sure why we're discussing the 2013 or 2016 avalon when this is about the 2019 avalon.
Old 01-24-18, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure why we're discussing the 2013 or 2016 avalon when this is about the 2019 avalon.
Hopefully the 2019 will be an improvement....although I don't know about that new grille. A lot of discussion, though, won't be possible on it until we actually see it and get a chance to sit in it and/or drive it. Until then, much will be speculation.
Old 01-24-18, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, if nothing else, it shows, with previous versions, what the new 2019 has cut out for it. Hopefully the 2019 will be an improvement....although I don't know about that new grille. A lot of discussion, though, won't be possible on it until we actually see it and get a chance to sit in it and/or drive it. Until then, much will be speculation.
Old 01-24-18, 07:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Ask Toyota's stylists Mike... ask Toyota. Because they're the ones who think that people want big grills and sharp handling. This car is styled as a four door coupe. That's why it has a low swoopy roofline and all sorts of creases and folds. They're not interested in boring here, that's for sure. On a good note, it does have a number of features that make it sporty yet comfortable. AVS and 360 cam. But that darned ski ramp. It just sticks out like you're at the senior center bingo machine. Why?
Toyota is going lower on their new car designs. When you see it in public I think it works. The goal is to make the design stand out and offer something different than in the past. My guess is that cars will get lower in the future.
Old 01-24-18, 10:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

going lower on sedans (especially premium and luxury ones) is a recipe for failure as fewer people want it to be challenging to get in and out of them.
Old 01-24-18, 10:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

going lower on sedans (especially premium and luxury ones) is a recipe for failure as fewer people want it to be challenging to get in and out of them.
I honestly think you are wrong. They are going for styling. Something that is an alternative to a cross over which has been getting lower and lower. I believe Toyota president said, going forward we want something as a compelling reason to forgo a cross over and get into a sedan. Driving experience, styling, something alternative is what they are after. This new Avalon is going to have stiffer springs and better handling as per their press release. Its also lower as well and sleeker but it is wider with a longer wheelbase. Also add in a driving noise generator and a fixed floor pedal......The traditional idea of a sedan is dead...You need something compelling. It is not always about ergonomics and sensibility.

Make a bit of sense?
Old 01-24-18, 11:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

i very much doubt that 2019 Avalon is challenging to get in and out, but extra style might help sell more.
They cant focus on people over 70. Trick will be to appeal to younger buyers, like new Camry is doing.

With Toyota and Lexus doubling down on style, it will be slightly less functional than their "designed by committee" designs but also a lot more stylish.
Old 01-24-18, 12:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Wow, you used to be really cool bitkahuna; lately, you're much more tempermental.
There is a famous saying that the past determines the future. Or look into the past to see the future...

I would have thought the same as you too Bit.

In a way, look at how E Class sells 50,000+ units/year, while CLS only sells 6,000+ units/year.
In the same way, look at how 5 Series sells 32,000+ units/year, while 6 Series sells only 3,000+ units/year.

Since 1984, the Camry has been getting taller and taller, generation after generation, with record sales of 470,000+ units/year two generations ago in 2007, and second best sales record of 429,000+ units/year last generation in 2015.

It will be interesting to see how the new non-boring lower riding 2018 Camries and Avalons sell in the near future.
I hope it's not another case of a "backflip" like the 2012-15's firm riding Avalon "softening" for 2015-18 period.

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-24-18 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 12:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

It will be interesting to see how the new non-boring lower riding 2018 Camries and Avalons sell in the near future.
I hope it's not another case of a "backflip" like the 2012-15's firm riding Avalon "softening" for 2015-18 period.
Urhm, should I point out that after Avalon faceliftt, sales nosedived? While that "hard one" sold really well? While we are at pointing out the sales stats.
Old 01-24-18, 12:28 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Urhm, should I point out that after Avalon faceliftt, sales nosedived? While that "hard one" sold really well? While we are at pointing out the sales stats.
But now you have introduced a new variable - you are now at the tail end of the model cycle where sales are diminutive anyway; the damage had already been done.

For example, the 2nd gen Avalons of 1999-04 had record sales, that declined year after year, and this is normal for all makes and all models.
2000 was record full year sales of 104,000+ units.
2001 83,000+.
2002 69,000+.
2003 50,000+.
2004 36,000+.
A decline in sales, with no major suspension changes whatsoever, but due to an ageing model.

I know you have a soft spot for Toyotas.

It will be interesting how the next gen Avalons sell...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-24-18 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 12:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Sales volumes will not increase. The overall car market is shrinking. The bigger question is whether Toyota can sell the Avalon for more money. More money more profit.
Old 01-24-18, 12:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

But now you have introduced a new variable - you are now at the tail end of the model cycle where sales are diminutive anyway; the damage had already been done.
It will be interesting how the next gen Avalons sell...
Rav4 is also harder than version before it and yet it sold better... with previous Camry they kept adding harder and harder suspension and it sold well, and new one is low and record selling last month.

They cant cater to 70+ crowd anymore, does not make any sense. Younger people want something stylish, not a box on wheels, it is change of generation, baby boomers that valued functionality are getting far and between.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon