Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Watched a few videos today from the Auto Show. The Toyota executive said a few details.

Audi 6 and Audi A7 were the benchmark. BMW Grand coupe.

Headlamps have adaptive cornering lights. But are not swivel. It changes the out put of LED signal.

First ever Toyota to be 100% connected to the web and Toyota’s servers.

Mentioned used to be a comfortable car, no longer, now has new tech.
670 mile range on a Avalon Hybrid.
AWD is under consideration.Build date April 23. Prices released that day. Available to customer in May.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-24-18 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 03:51 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know about the conjecture that relates to ride, ease of entry/exit since no one on this forum has said they've had a 2019 Avalon for even the shortest of tests, sat in one or rode in one or even driven one. How does anyone know how easy it is to get in and out of this car? Now from the pictures you can discern a larger wheel size and low profile tire here, possibly optional 19s with 18s as base? But the ride height doesn't particularly look that "slammed". The wheels/tires fill out the wells very nicely.

The mitigating factor here is that this Avalon uses a multi-link rear suspension vs a the Macpherson doubles that are on the outgoing models. And this car will use an advanced AVS system so that's a real possiblility with a comfort and maybe a couple of sport modes. Yes, I'd say the cushy sofa/lazi-boy days of Avalon are over and that's not a bad thing, despite the oldsters and fogies lamenting it.

I'd say, Toyota should make AWD an option. That would help a lot of people who might be vacillating between a crossover vs a sedan.
Old 01-24-18, 03:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Don't know about the conjecture that relates to ride, ease of entry/exit since no one on this forum has said they've had a 2019 Avalon for even the shortest of tests, sat in one or rode in one or even driven one. How does anyone know how easy it is to get in and out of this car? Now from the pictures you can discern a larger wheel size and low profile tire here, possibly optional 19s with 18s as base? But the ride height doesn't particularly look that "slammed". The wheels/tires fill out the wells very nicely.

The mitigating factor here is that this Avalon uses a multi-link rear suspension vs a the Macpherson doubles that are on the outgoing models. And this car will use an advanced AVS system so that's a real possiblility with a comfort and maybe a couple of sport modes. Yes, I'd say the cushy sofa/lazi-boy days of Avalon are over and that's not a bad thing, despite the oldsters and fogies lamenting it.

I'd say, Toyota should make AWD an option. That would help a lot of people who might be vacillating between a crossover vs a sedan.
I think a AWD will become available after the first year. The new rear suspension will help facilitate that. Good comments on the ride changing 👍
Old 01-24-18, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
They cant cater to 70+ crowd anymore, does not make any sense. Younger people want something stylish, not a box on wheels, it is change of generation, baby boomers that valued functionality are getting far and between.
Here's an interesting take on how Boomers are still the chief force in the industry, despite the push to market to Millennials.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...918-story.html
Old 01-24-18, 05:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's an interesting take on how Boomers are still the chief force in the industry, despite the push to market to Millennials.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...918-story.html
Kudos to Toyota for trying lower their average buyers age of 52👍
Old 01-24-18, 05:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Can anyone confirm if the Avalon has ever had electric telescopic steering? This one has it.
Old 01-24-18, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Can anyone confirm if the Avalon has ever had electric telescopic steering? This one has it.
Must be a new option (or new standard equipment) for 2019. I checked the Owners' Manual for the current 2018, and it lists only the manual tilt/telescope feature.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM07010U.pdf
Old 01-24-18, 06:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Must be a new option (or new standard equipment) for 2019. I checked the Owners' Manual for the current 2018, and it lists only the manual tilt/telescope feature.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM07010U.pdf
Thanks for the research. It’s also really good to see that you will be able to hard button push the climate control or you can use the touch screen. Really nicely thought out.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-24-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 06:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Never seen warnings about any rear seat belts on any car. Each warning is individual. Nice details.
Old 01-24-18, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Never seen warnings about any rear seat belts on any car. Each warning is individual. Nice details.
Interesting. I haven't seen those, either. I'm guessing (but not 100% certain) that they indicate someone is sitting in the seat (over a certain weight) with that seat-belt not fully-fastened. Small children, of course, under a certain weight, should be in approved car-seats.

Those might be distracting, though, if people use the back seat (as I sometimes do) for packages and boxes. If the package is over a certain size or weight, and the sensors trigger, and you have not fastened the belts by hand to close the open-circuit, you might (?) have to put up with those red lights glowing at you all the way home.

It’s also really good to see that you will be able to hard button push the climate control or you can use the touch screen. Really nicely thought out.
Yes, that's where it's (admittedly) a step or two ahead of my Lacrosse.....and about where my Opel-designed Verano was. On the Verano, you could push-button everything as desired. On the (2017/2018) Lacrosse, you have to go into the touch-screen to turn the A/C compressor Off / Max / Eco or to re-direct the air-flow out the dash/floor/defrost vents....but you can button or twirl-**** everything else.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-18 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 06:29 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

It's still a ski ramp and it's still got that jutting thingy up into the center of the vehicle.
Old 01-24-18, 06:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It's still a ski ramp and it's still got that jutting thingy up into the center of the vehicle.
I don’t think the center stack is bad at all. I like it.What I don’t like is the rear signals and how the work. Front are ok.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-24-18 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed that the ski-ramp is somewhat goofy-looking, but Jill has a point about the climate-control set-up being at least a decently good design. The only thing I would change on it is swap the rocker-push controls for the temperature to nice round *****.

(Oh....and to the CL staff: Thank you for getting that fixed. The censor-software used to occasionally (in and out) blank out the word "*****" with a row of *****. Now, that doesn't seem to be a problem any more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 06:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed that the ski-ramp is somewhat goofy-looking, but Jill has a point about the climate-control set-up being at least a decently good design. The only thing I would change on it is swap the rocker-push controls for the temperature to nice round *****.

(Oh....and to the CL moderators and staff: Thank you for getting that fixed. The censor-software used to occasionally (in and out) blank out the word "*****" with a row of *****. Now, that doesn't seem to be a problem any more.
I would not call it goofy at all. You have never anything good to say about the Avalon. It a design element that you clearly do not like.
Old 01-24-18, 06:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I would not call it goofy at all. I never have anything bad to say about the Avalon. It a design element that I clearly like.
Fixed for you.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon