Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would not call it goofy at all. You have never anything good to say about the Avalon. It a design element that you clearly do not like.

Come on, Jill. I just gave the climate-system you posted some nice comments. Though I don't care for the rocker-switch temp control, otherwise, its admittedly a step or two ahead of my Lacrosse. What am I supposed to do.....bow down before it?

And I have ALWAYS had respect for the Avalon's well-engineered, durable drivetrain, regardless of generation. And I liked the road-manners on the first-generation one...to the point where I seriously considered trading my (at that time) blue Celica for one. Up to now, the ONLY things I didn't like on the Avalon (and my opinion wasn't alone) was the suspension, sheet metal thickness, and interior hardware on the 4Gen redesign in 2013/2014. And we've already discussed that to death.....so I'm not going to go into that in detail again here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-18 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 07:28 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed that the ski-ramp is somewhat goofy-looking, but Jill has a point about the climate-control set-up being at least a decently good design. The only thing I would change on it is swap the rocker-push controls for the temperature to nice round *****.

(Oh....and to the CL staff: Thank you for getting that fixed. The censor-software used to occasionally (in and out) blank out the word "*****" with a row of *****. Now, that doesn't seem to be a problem any more.
I think both the ski ramp and the central console grab handles makes 2019 Avalon look cheap.

Lexus uses push button temperature controls on my GS, and some touch sensitive slide on wife's IS, however you are right - a large round dial for temperature control is far more ergonomic, as it allows us to keep our eyes on the road.
***** are ergonomic, but I don't like *****, because when you say *****, you are implying a small diameter rotary dial, which is certainly ergonomic, but looks cheap.
Hence, I prefer two small dials for the hi-fi, and two large diameter dials for the LHS and RHS temperature control.

Just me, but I don't mind the Camry and Avalon and other Toyota model styling looking a bit 2nd rate, as long the the premium Lexus models look good...

Old 01-24-18, 07:58 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, "ski ramp"
Old 01-24-18, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by theory816
LOL, "ski ramp"

Well, if you've got a better metaphor/comparison....let's hear it.
Old 01-24-18, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

had to do it

Old 01-25-18, 08:56 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
had to do it
YESSS!!!! you da real mvp... that's a future classic right there
Old 01-25-18, 09:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Too bad the new Avalon isn't available, I'm sensing a Winter Olympics ad campaign here.
Old 01-27-18, 05:52 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
They cant cater to 70+ crowd anymore, does not make any sense. Younger people want something stylish, not a box on wheels, it is change of generation, baby boomers that valued functionality are getting far and between.
The younger crowd also has never know cheap gas. When I was in college, I was making minimum wage and spending over $4.00 a gallon on gas. And while I cannot speak for everyone, more than a decade has gone by and I haven't forgotten. Thus, I would think that Toyota would have offered the 2.0L turbo instead of the 3.5L in the Camry and Avalon, as is the industry trend and what it speaking to the younger generation. I assume that Toyota has done their homework, but nevertheless, they just can't seem to get themselves off of that V6.
Old 01-27-18, 06:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The younger crowd also has never know cheap gas. When I was in college, I was making minimum wage and spending over $4.00 a gallon on gas. And while I cannot speak for everyone, more than a decade has gone by and I haven't forgotten. Thus, I would think that Toyota would have offered the 2.0L turbo instead of the 3.5L in the Camry and Avalon, as is the industry trend and what it speaking to the younger generation. I assume that Toyota has done their homework, but nevertheless, they just can't seem to get themselves off of that V6.
Toyota must have some research or they know something within their customers to not go the Turbo route. I thought for sure, 100% they would go turbo. Now contrast to the everyone-loves-Hyundai-but-provides-no-evidence-that-they-really-do, they went turbo and they adopted turbo early. Their sales are down three straight years in a row. Expecting lower sales this year as well.
Old 01-27-18, 06:20 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Toyota must have some research or they know something within their customers to not go the Turbo route. I thought for sure, 100% they would go turbo. Now contrast to the everyone-loves-Hyundai-but-provides-no-evidence-that-they-really-do, they went turbo and they adopted turbo early. Their sales are down three straight years in a row. Expecting lower sales this year as well.
I agree and I would think that means that Toyota's buyers are still of the larger is better orientation....thus older. Even the 4 cylinder Camry is still quite large.

Again, I guess I am speaking for me and not necessarily everyone else. But when I ordered my WRX I was quite pleased to see that Subaru had downsized the engine. Having owned a 2.5L Legacy GT prior to it, the WRX is more powerful and I average 7 MPG better. 7! ....I guess it will be interesting to see how the Camry stacks up against the new Accord.
Old 01-27-18, 06:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I agree and I would think that means that Toyota's buyers are still of the larger is better orientation....thus older. Even the 4 cylinder Camry is still quite large..
Perhaps they might like the larger engine. Really hard to tell. Maybe Toyota feels that when a buyer test drives the Accord vs Camry, the potential Camry buyer is simply getting a different experience with no turbo and the larger engine. Toyota also has likely the highest retention rate and repeat buyers, so the Camry buyer or Avalon buyer perhaps is on their 3rd or 4th model in their lifetime might not care? I do believe that when there is an option of NA vs Turbo in the option list, it clouds over the purchase process. Accord has two turbos while the Civic has the option, I think you need to either all NA or all turbo to be success. Accord has done this.
Old 01-27-18, 06:40 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Perhaps they might like the larger engine. Really hard to tell. Maybe Toyota feels that when a buyer test drives the Accord vs Camry, the potential Camry buyer is simply getting a different experience with no turbo and the larger engine. Toyota also has likely the highest retention rate and repeat buyers, so the Camry buyer or Avalon buyer perhaps is on their 3rd or 4th model in their lifetime might not care? I do believe that when there is an option of NA vs Turbo in the option list, it clouds over the purchase process. Accord has two turbos while the Civic has the option, I think you need to either all NA or all turbo to be success. Accord has done this.
Yeah, that makes sense. I wonder how many people opt for the turbo over the 2.4L in the CRV. ...thinking more about it, when the Cruze debuted in came with 1.8L or the 1.4L turbo. Now Chevy only offers the turbo. Clearly there is a reason.
Old 01-27-18, 07:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, that makes sense. I wonder how many people opt for the turbo over the 2.4L in the CRV. ...thinking more about it, when the Cruze debuted in came with 1.8L or the 1.4L turbo. Now Chevy only offers the turbo. Clearly there is a reason.
My guess is most people purchase the regular gas engine in the CRV. The smaller car and SUV is much more price sensitive. When I bought my Corolla, I didn’t have a lot of money to spend past $25K taxes in. I am sure most people do not either at these price points or they would not be buying a car for $25K. At the time there was a second option and that was for a more powerful and more efficient ECO model, but they wanted $700 at time for 8 more horses and a little extra MPG. But I think I couldn’t get the options I wanted in for under 25k. With regards to the Avalon, 300+ is pretty impressive for FWD sedan. I wonder what the cost would be for Toyota to delveiop a comparable engine that is smaller in displacement and yet yields the same 300 horses. My guess is that is does not make sense to do it.
Old 01-27-18, 07:48 AM
Wallie3145
Driver

I see a few reasons why they keep the V6:
1. It's used in the Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Sienna, ES, IS, GS and RX.
2. A turbo 4 is no replacement for it. Just look at the new Accord. I'm sure if Honda had updated the V6 and attached it to the new 10 speed automatic, it would run rings around the 2.0l turbo in performance and fuel economy.
3. It's makes money for them. Whatever they spent on it, they have already recovered it.
4. They got no engine above the 240hp 2.0l turbo 4 in the NX other than the new turbo V6 in the new LS.

Last edited by Wallie3145; 01-27-18 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added another reason.
Old 01-27-18, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wallie3145
I see a few reasons why they keep the V6:
1. It's used in the Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Sienna, ES, IS, GS and RX.
2. A turbo 4 is no replacement for it. Just look at the new Accord. I'm sure if Honda had updated the V6 and attached it to the new 10 speed automatic, it would run rings around the 2.0l turbo in performance and fuel economy.
3. It's makes money for them. Whatever they spent on it, they have already recovered it.
4. They got no engine above the 240hp 2.0l turbo 4 in the NX other than the new turbo V6 in the new LS.

How do the Hyundai and Honda turbos compare to the updated Toyota 3.5?

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon