Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 08:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My guess is most people purchase the regular gas engine in the CRV. The smaller car and SUV is much more price sensitive. ...
A quick off topic correction. In the US, the CR-V only comes with the 1.5l turbo, except the lowest model (LX), which does not have the turbo option. In Canada, all models come with the turbo standard.
Old 01-27-18, 08:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
A quick off topic correction. In the US, the CR-V only comes with the 1.5l turbo, except the lowest model (LX), which does not have the turbo option. In Canada, all models come with the turbo standard.
Was not aware. Did that happen in the first year of the CRV as well?
Old 01-27-18, 08:31 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Was not aware. Did that happen in the first year of the CRV as well?
Since the redesign in 2017.
Old 01-27-18, 12:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

back to the avalon?
Old 01-28-18, 09:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I have a feeling I'm going to like the look of certain Avalon models in-person. I have been seeing more new Camry's on the road and really like some of the design elements (which are carried over into the Avalon and other Toyota products - including the new LS 500). I'm excited to start seeing them on the road to come to a final conclusion. I have seen a few promoted ads/tweets on Twitter pushing the new Avalon and there is no doubt that Toyota is trying to re-brand the car and tailor it to a different demographic. I think one of the tag lines on Twitter was "Frills, thrills and grilles" or something to that effect.

I'm not in the market to buy anything, and I never buy new, but if I was in the market for something new I'd certainly give it a look. The sharp angles of the Camry and other cars (LC500 for example) look a bit more harsh in static pictures but I find them appealing when the car is in motion.
Old 01-28-18, 09:41 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have a feeling I'm going to like the look of certain Avalon models in-person.
Yeah, I can't imagine it could look as bad as it does in pictures!

Old 01-28-18, 10:07 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Not sure what model that is (the black mirrors are throwing me off), but I actually don't think it looks bad. It's not my favorite grille that I've seen on the new Avalon, but it doesn't really bother me as much as almost everyone else on here. My main knock against it would be towards the front it resembles an Acura a bit- and I prefer cars that are not easily confused with another brand. But overall, I don't dislike the pic you posted.
Old 01-28-18, 10:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree. For a variety of reasons, especially the front end, this is not the new Avalon's best angle.
Old 01-28-18, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. For a variety of reasons, especially the front end, this is not the new Avalon's best angle.
It's certainly a better angle than THIS one LOL.

Old 01-28-18, 04:26 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's well proportioned but that grill is overkill.

Aside from the grill it looks really good.
Old 01-28-18, 05:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

Lazy designers, instead of styling the front of the car they stretch out a grille texture to obscene proportions and call it a day. I guess on the plus side you don't have to worry about clear film on the front bumper because the car doesn't have one.
Old 01-28-18, 08:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know somebody touched on it earlier, but even the slightest bump on that front end is going to completely destroy it.

Also that grill is going to be impossible to keep clean. Can you imagine how much its going to suck to try and scrub bugs off that honeycomb texture after a long drive? Or how every single one of those corners in the honeycomb section is going to trap dirt, forcing you to take a q tip to really get it 100% right.

Reminds me of some late 1950's Detroit iron, that had really busy grills that would be impossible to keep clean.

Old 01-28-18, 08:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
It's well proportioned but that grill is overkill.

Aside from the grill it looks really good.
i don’t seem to mind the grill on the videos shot by Toyota.
Old 01-28-18, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Reminds me of some late 1950's Detroit iron, that had really busy grills that would be impossible to keep clean.
Yes, I (earlier) thought about some of the late-50s comparison myself, but didn't post any because I didn't think that even they stood out as much as the new Avalon grille does. That is because, in any other body color but black (or maybe dark gray), that huge expanse of black on the Avalon grille stands out like a sore thumb. On the old 50s iron, the large chrome bumpers and other chrome-trim (such as on the hood and around the headlights) help mute the effect of those big chrome grilles some...you aren't just looking at the grilles and nothing else.

And, Jill.....before you get after me again for "Avalon-bashing", note that my comments on the new, 2019 Avalon have been negative only on the grille and ski-ramp center dash...nothing else. I simply cannot comment on anything else until I see and inspect the car for myself. I (might?) just like everything else I see.....time will tell.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-18 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-03-18, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, Jill.....you'll probably like hearing this. At the D.C. auto show, I generally had a favorable impression of the existing 2018 Avalon, out on the floor.

As I've stated several times in the past, I had some significant issues with the 2013-2015 Avalon. I absolutely still stand by that, and am not going to change my mind on that....if I did, I would simply not be telling the truth. But, with the 2016 mid-cycle update, I previously stated (when I did my write-up on the 2016 model) that some of the suspension/tire, interior, and hardware problems had definitely been addressed...the car rode noticeably smoother, and more of the interior hardware seemed better-designed. I looked at the existing 2018 version at the show (two years newer than the mid-cycle 2016 update), and, from what I saw, Toyota seemed to have worked on even more of the hardware-improvements inside.....only the flimsy, paper-thin glove box lid, latch, and flimsy twirl-***** for the heated seats remain. But the doors (for 2018) now shut with a solid feel and a decent thunk (better than on my Lacrosse, I might add), and (almost) the whole car seems to have a more solid feel to its assembly. I suspect that, without a major re-design to the existing model, the engineers, for 2017 or 2018, probably just added more insulation to the doors to absorb that (formerly) tinny feel and sound. The all-new 2019 and its bulldozer grille, of course, was up rotating on the turntable.....so I wasn't able to closely examine it or comment on it other than the silly (IMO) front end and the ski-ramp console.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-03-18 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon