Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 08:19 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The structural changes made to improve small-overlap crashworthiness are probably the cause, not more (heavy and bulky) noise insulation.
Toyota will make make changes to a the structure of a vehicle to address safety if its a high volume seller. They did this in 2014 with the Camry by untroducing a 2014.5 Camry after it was revealed the Camry failed the small overlap crash test.

There hasn’t been any structural changes made to the 4th gen Avalon since it’s last major redesign in 2013. Not 100% for sure on additional sound deadening being added, but if it was they would’ve addressed it during the 2016 mid life cycle refresh. 2017 and 2018 are completely carry over from the 2016 MY with the exception of maybe a paint color being added or discontinued. 2019 Avalon will be on dealer lots late spring 2018.

Last edited by highrev6; 02-05-18 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 02-05-18, 08:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

Toyota will make make changes to a the structure of a vehicle to address safety if its a high volume seller. They did this in 2014 with the Camry by untroducing a 2014.5 Camry after it was revealed the Camry failed the small overlap crash test.

There hasn’t been any structural changes made to the 4th gen Avalon since it’s last major redesign in 2013. Not 100% for sure on additional sound deadening being added, but if it was they would’ve addressed it during the 2016 mid life cycle refresh. 2017 and 2018 are completely carry over from the 2016 MY with the exception of maybe a paint color being added or discontinued. 2019 Avalon will be on dealer lots late spring 2018.

The Avalon from 2013-2018 weights at the identical spec. It’s all in the heads of people who think it gets changed.

Only the touring once officially offered in 2016 has a bit more weight to it. 50-75lbs I think.
Old 02-05-18, 08:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have a 2013 GS350 with this feature. I think it’s only active when the sport **** is turned right. This feature just pipes more intake induction noise into the cabin it’s different from the RC-F and GS-F where one can turn on and off additional noise added from the cars speakers. Also I the 2019 Avalon launches in late Spring 2018.
I figured it could be turned off. I doubt the Avalon will have it on all the time
Old 02-05-18, 09:29 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Without a major re-design, though, one (usually) can't realistically do the kind of structural changes you're referring to. Remember....I was talking about the mid-cycle update for 2016 and perhaps other small changes for 2018....it would be far simpler just to add door-insulation. The major redesign will bow next year.....2019.

And, BTW, insulation doesn't have to be bulky or heavy. Buick, for example, compared to the 2016, managed to take 300 pounds out of the all-new 2017 Lacrosse.......all the while making the car longer, wider, and even quieter running.

Toyota did make mid-cycle structural changes to the Camry in December 2013 -- calling it the 2014.5 Toyota Camry -- to improve IIHS small overlap crashworthiness. I cannot find now what those changes were but seem to remember reading at the time that Toyota strengthened the area where the driver's side front door pillar, firewall and floor / rocker panel meet; those changes did not add much weight.

The Avalon, when introduced new as a 2013 model, was not tested for the small overlap crash and was not tested until 2015, giving Toyota time to make the changes to the Avalon's structure that it did to the Camry's front structure a year earlier. I have no doubt that the Camry and Avalon share a similar front structure, given that they share the same platform. These non-cosmetic mid-cycle changes are not something that Toyota PR advertises.
Old 02-05-18, 09:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota did make mid-cycle structural changes to the Camry in December 2013 -- calling it the 2014.5 Toyota Camry -- to improve IIHS small overlap crashworthiness. I cannot find now what those changes were but seem to remember reading at the time that Toyota strengthened the area where the driver's side front door pillar, firewall and floor / rocker panel meet; those changes did not add much weight.

The Avalon, when introduced new as a 2013 model, was not tested for the small overlap crash and was not tested until 2015, giving Toyota time to make the changes to the Avalon's structure that it did to the Camry's front structure a year earlier. I have no doubt that the Camry and Avalon share a similar front structure, given that they share the same platform. These non-cosmetic mid-cycle changes are not something that Toyota PR advertises.
Highly doubt any changes without some proof of evidence which as of yet has not been provided.
Old 02-05-18, 09:54 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Highly doubt any changes without some proof of evidence which as of yet has not been provided.
As I said, mid-cycle structural changes are not something that Toyota PR advertises. And there is no proof of added sound insulation either, so that is also speculation.
Old 02-05-18, 09:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Cant they be turned off on these Lexus models?

I have a 2013 GS350 with this feature. I think it’s only active when the sport **** is turned right. This feature just pipes more intake induction noise into the cabin it’s different from the RC-F and GS-F where one can turn on and off additional noise added from the cars speakers. Also I the 2019 Avalon launches in late Spring 2018.

I figured it could be turned off. I doubt the Avalon will have it on all the time
No, it cannot be turned off.
Old 02-05-18, 09:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

As I said, mid-cycle structural changes are not something that Toyota PR advertises. And there is no proof of added sound insulation either, so that is also speculation.
So you are just saying you read that there were structural changes? I doubt anything changed other than air bags perhaps were added or modified for crash tests. The drivers door rating progressed from 2013 to 2015

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-05-18 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 11:23 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So you are just saying you read that there were structural changes? I doubt anything changed other than air bags perhaps were added or modified for crash tests. The drivers door rating progressed from 2013 to 2015
This is off topic to the thread (Avalon), but there were definitely structural changes made to the Camry to be re-tested in light of the poor small overlap results from the 2014 vehicle. Airbags were not added.

The Toyota Camry was redesigned for the 2012 model year. Beginning with 2014 models built after December 2013, the front structure was modified to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes. (Information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on the driver door or adjacent B-pillar.) For new car buyers, the 2014 cars with the modifications are listed as "2014.5" models on the window sticker.
From IIHS IIHS 2014 - 2014.5 Camry
Old 02-05-18, 11:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
This is off topic to the thread (Avalon), but there were definitely structural changes made to the Camry to be re-tested in light of the poor small overlap results from the 2014 vehicle. Airbags were not added.

From IIHS IIHS 2014 - 2014.5 Camry
Thank you for proving and providing some facts. I appreciate it.
Old 02-05-18, 12:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Thank you for proving and providing some facts. I appreciate it.
Do you see a new gen Avalon in your future?
Old 02-05-18, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Do you see a new gen Avalon in your future?
One does not necessarily have to plan in advance on driving something for it to sometimes be a reality. At one time, I thought I'd never have an Outback.....or another GM compact after my lemon Citation......or a Toyota Tercel (briefly owned one for a couple of years as a second winter-beater car)........or any small car, for that matter (I was sold on big, full-size cars in my youth). Yet, all became a reality at one time or another.

Yeah, I know......I've been saying I'd never own a self-driver, but...............
Old 02-05-18, 12:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One does not necessarily have to plan in advance on driving something for it to sometimes be a reality. At one time, I thought I'd never have an Outback.....or another GM compact after my lemon Citation......or a Toyota Tercel (briefly owned one for a couple of years as a second winter-beater car)........or any small car, for that matter (I was sold on big, full-size cars in my youth). Yet, all became a reality at one time or another.

Yeah, I know......I've been saying I'd never own a self-driver, but...............
Not sure what you mean. I was asking Jill if she saw a new Avalon in her future.
Old 02-05-18, 03:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Not sure what you mean. I was asking Jill if she saw a new Avalon in her future.
Nah. Too much money for me and too big a car. Ever since we got a Matrix, then a CTh and now a Corolla. I like small cars that are light. If I were to spend Avalon money, I would rather get a RWD smaller car like a Q50 or IS. A3 is nice size. Honestly, we are in no need for a new car, but I would likely get a Civic hatch or a Accord next go around. I think both of those are worth leaving the Toyota brand. I kinda would like to try out a turbo next time around.
Old 02-05-18, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nah. Too much money for me and too big a car. Ever since we got a Matrix, then a CTh and now a Corolla. I like small cars that are light. If I were to spend Avalon money, I would rather get a RWD smaller car like a Q50 or IS. A3 is nice size. Honestly, we are in no need for a new car, but I would likely get a Civic hatch or a Accord next go around. I think both of those are worth leaving the Toyota brand. I kinda would like to try out a turbo next time around.
Also, your family has a 4Runner, doesn't it?...although it must be old, as I recall a transmission problem you posted about it recently (transmissions, of course, are usually not problematic in new 4Runners). Anyhow, in some circumstances, you can spend as much, if not more, for a new 4Runner, particularly a high-soot version, than on an Avalon itself.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon