Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The 2013-2018 was the class leader.
I respect your opinion, but do do not agree that the 2013-2015 version was the class leader...far from it. The 2016 mid-cycle refresh (and suspension revision) helped it some. I did write-ups on both, BTW.

Nor, just because I drive a Lacrosse, do I think that it is necessarily the class leader, either. I like the way it looks and drives, especially compared to its immediate predecessor, but it also has some faults.
Old 04-23-18, 06:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks. Can’t watch it right now. Do you a have a few summary points to share before I can view it?
Old 04-23-18, 08:42 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I respect your opinion, but do do not agree that the 2013-2015 version was the class leader...far from it. The 2016 mid-cycle refresh (and suspension revision) helped it some. I did write-ups on both, BTW.

Nor, just because I drive a Lacrosse, do I think that it is necessarily the class leader, either. I like the way it looks and drives, especially compared to its immediate predecessor, but it also has some faults.
What car doesn't have faults? If it sells well, which it will, then it's a hit and that's what matters most to Toyota. The fact that they added some sportiness to the lineup will probably help that. The big grille is a talking point on the internet, but a lot of drivers bought up those big grille Lexus cars. New Camry is a hit too.
Old 04-23-18, 08:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,807 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Thanks. Can’t watch it right now. Do you a have a few summary points to share before I can view it?
I watched it this morning. My takeaways were:
  • Not quite as large as some other "full-size" front-drive luxury sedans but noticeably larger than Camry and Accord.
  • It has sequential turn signals!
  • After seeing the interior in the video, this car definitely is more modern than the last Avalon and more premium than the Camry - for instance, it has contrasting leather on the steering wheel.
  • New adaptive dampers with Sport+ setting.
  • Apple CarPlay is available, and the car has the Entune 3.0 system.
  • No panoramic sunroof:
  • Ride is quiet and comfortable but somewhat firm in the Sport and Sport+ settings, Alex said "Not uncomfortable" but "firm ... for a daily driver."
  • Engine sound is augmented by similar tech as what is used in the Lexus IS and GS, but with additional digital sound samples as well as the intake tube.
Old 04-23-18, 09:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
I watched it this morning. My takeaways were:
  • Not quite as large as some other "full-size" front-drive luxury sedans but noticeably larger than Camry and Accord.
  • It has sequential turn signals!
  • After seeing the interior in the video, this car definitely is more modern than the last Avalon and more premium than the Camry - for instance, it has contrasting leather on the steering wheel.
  • New adaptive dampers with Sport+ setting.
  • Apple CarPlay is available, and the car has the Entune 3.0 system.
  • No panoramic sunroof:
  • Ride is quiet and comfortable but somewhat firm in the Sport and Sport+ settings, Alex said "Not uncomfortable" but "firm ... for a daily driver."
  • Engine sound is augmented by similar tech as what is used in the Lexus IS and GS, but with additional digital sound samples as well as the intake tube.
Thanks. Looks to be very exciting. I see the drag co is at .27.
Old 04-23-18, 10:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

class leader in both large sedans and entry luxury sedans.
Old 04-23-18, 10:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I personally think the new Avalon is better looking in person. I like the low, wide look of it.

As for "sport experience" vs "comfort experience", they did it right...there are two suspension versions, and a topping Touring model with an AVS system with adaptive dampers that can be both.
Old 04-23-18, 10:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I personally think the new Avalon is better looking in person. I like the low, wide look of it.

As for "sport experience" vs "comfort experience", they did it right...there are two suspension versions, and a topping Touring model with an AVS system with adaptive dampers that can be both.
Agreed. Not bad looking in person.
Old 04-23-18, 11:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The Motor Trend review does a good job of explaining the drastic difference in the two setups.

On the road, the Avalon feels nimble for a 195.9-inch car, but the premium-ish sedan never feels like it deserves 4DSC badges (4-Door Supra-like Car). That’s OK, because all Avalons have accurate and well-weighted steering that’s not overly light. And if you stick with the XLE and Limited trims, the suspension will keep things comfortable. The same can’t be said about the Touring model, which, with its adaptive variable suspension and 19-inch wheels, connects you to the road in a noticeably different way compared to the comfort-oriented models. On winding roads and around corners, you’ll appreciate that trim’s sportier tuning—not to mention the guttural aural sensations of the 301-hp Touring model’s engine-sound enhancer. Once you get on the highway, however, the combination of tire noise and the way some road imperfections enter the cabin makes it clear the Touring (and the XSE to some extent) are not ideal road trip cars.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyot...-drive-review/
Old 04-23-18, 11:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

But the Avalon seems to aspire to a higher station. It doesn't just boast a good loadout of amenities, it pushes into premium territory with its gorgeous cabin, supple ride and attention to detail in its construction and design. For a lot less money, the new Avalon has me wondering why anyone would even consider a Lexus ES; it's that good.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2...31177/preview/

At the top of the dynamic pile is the Touring, which adds to the XSE's suspension adaptive variable dampers that, in typical fashion, constantly adjust themselves based on road conditions and allow the driver to choose among Normal, Sport, and Sport+ driving modes to achieve their ideal ride/handling balance. Normal basically adds extra comfort to the XSE's standard settings (which lets you feel a surprising amount of the road, perhaps even too much), while the Sport and Sport+ settings get firm enough to be a bit unpleasant on rough pavement. They do, of course, keep the car flatter around corners and provide a generally sharper driving experience. We're not sure if that's really necessary for any buyer of an Avalon, but hey, why not?
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/23/...iew-563462089/

The 2019 Toyota Avalon improves upon its predecessor with additional features, better fuel efficiency and a more responsive chassis. Its high-class cabin looks and feels as nice as some entry-level Lexus products without the luxury-car price tag. All things considered, the Avalon is undoubtedly one of the best sedans in the full-size market. We'll know in time how large that market actually is.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fir...rst-drive.html

Materials and overall interior quality are strengths of all Avalons, from the XLE to the Limited. Limited models are better outfitted with new open-pore wood trim pieces and some very supple leather (seen here in striking Cognac) that wouldn't be out of place in a luxury sedan. But even the more modestly equipped XLE has nicely wrapped leatherette (imitation leather) seats, while the XSE and Touring add suede inserts. It felt the part of a premium sedan to me, even on lower grades.

The stretched wheelbase gives backseat passengers extra legroom, not that it needed it. It's a seriously large backseat with plenty of legroom and headroom. The backseat is a place I could spend a few hours comfortably, and there are even two USB ports (five total in the car) on the back of the center storage bin to keep my phone topped off. Toyota likes to call the Avalon a "premium mid-size sedan" since "full size" is apparently a bad word when it comes to sedans. But don't be fooled, this is a full-size sedan with a backseat to match.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-t...1420699794150/

It’s genuinely engaging to drive, with a meaty steering feel and firm ride. In sportier versions the Avalon comes close to point and shoot, instead of point and snooze, which is refreshing

The Avalon charges face first toward sportier rivals from Nissan and Chrysler and makes a compelling argument. Ultimately, it’s the sedan’s smooth ride and generous space that buyers will care most about, and the Avalon still keeps that. And room for golf bags, of course.
https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-sassy-chassis

The ride is the distinguishing characteristic. With the Limited, it doesn’t take long for the smoothness to impress, especially in contrast with the previous generation. (Despite a midcycle update, the outgoing Avalon never recaptured the pampering ride that the model was known for.)

The Touring is fitted with an adaptive suspension, which can alter the ride stiffness according to road conditions and driver demands, but the overall impression is a firmer ride, partly due to the large, 19-inch wheels on our sample car, than that of the Limited.

The 2019 Avalon shows significant improvements in ride, handling, interior quality, and amenities, giving it a more upscale demeanor, including more sophisticated styling. Based on the two versions we drove, our team favors the V6 Limited for letting the car’s newfound refinement and agility shine. The new Avalon seems to be not only a formidable competitor to the Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Impala, and Kia Cadenza but also a worthwhile, pragmatic alternative to a Lexus sedan.
https://www.consumerreports.org/seda...tation-boring/
Old 04-23-18, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

AoA on it...
Thanks. I watched the whole video. Another typically excellent review from King Alex. Most of his comments, however, were on the top-level Touring version, so it, of course, (and the XSE model) are going to be somewhat more sport-oriented, with firmer underpinnings and more noise generated in the exhaust, than base or lower-line versions. The majority of Avalon buyers probably won't want the Touring or XSE models, since the base version with the 17" wheels (as opposed to the Touring's 19") will probably give more of the traditional Avalon smooth ride....with a quieter exhaust and a lower price as well. He seems to have a number of good comments about the interior (although noting that the Lacrosse still has more comfortable seats)......I was very disappointed with some of the flimsy parts in the 2013 Avalon interior, so I'll certainly take Alex at his word on this one until I sit in the new one myself. I still think that the ski-ramp style of the center-dash and video looks awkward, as does both versions of the grille. I like the way he explained how both the front and rear turn-signals integrate with current U.S. law.......few reviewers take the time to do that (or are even aware of it).
Old 04-23-18, 11:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

man i hate that 'fake sound' feature
Old 04-23-18, 11:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In any car if it can't be turned off it would be a deal breaker.
Old 04-23-18, 12:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it has a button to turn it on/off... no need to hate.

Just like AVS has comfort mode that gives you smooth ride or Sport+ if you want harder suspension.
Old 04-23-18, 12:55 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

the rear end looks slicker than the GS

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon