Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18 | 01:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Sales will temporarily spike then plummet. The front looks even worse than when I saw it first.
Old 04-23-18 | 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it has a button to turn it on/off... no need to hate.
Just like AVS has comfort mode that gives you smooth ride or Sport+ if you want harder suspension.
AVS can adjust the shock-damping, but it can't make the wheels or tires any smoother-riding. Only more profile in the tire can do that....one more reason, IMO, to get the 17" wheels.
Old 04-23-18 | 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
AVS can adjust the shock-damping, but it can't make the wheels or tires any smoother-riding. Only more profile in the tire can do that....one more reason, IMO, to get the 17" wheels.
AVS can absolutely help to counteract the ride penalties that are inherent to lower profile tires. Thats whats achieved by adjusting the shock damping.

When you drive modern cars with adaptive suspensions I am amazed by how well they handle low profile tires.
Old 04-23-18 | 03:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
AVS can absolutely help to counteract the ride penalties that are inherent to lower profile tires. Thats whats achieved by adjusting the shock damping.

When you drive modern cars with adaptive suspensions I am amazed by how well they handle low profile tires.

I've seen a few cars where that is true (The 2Gen Hyundai Genesis, for one, though not quite to the same extent with the G80 successor), and to a lesser extent with the Lincoln MKZ. The best example was probably the former-generation BMW 335....which truly was amazing even with the 35s on the Sport Package. But, more often than not, at least in my experience, that is not the case.....45s and under tend to produce stiff rides. My Verano's 45's, for example, were nice in the summer, with warm soft rubber in the tires and warm shock fluid, but not in the winter. The Lacrosse's 50s are noticeably better year-around.
Old 04-23-18 | 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I've seen a few cars where that is true (The 2Gen Hyundai Genesis, for one, though not quite to the same extent with the G80 successor), and to a lesser extent with the Lincoln MKZ. The best example was probably the former-generation BMW 335....which truly was amazing even with the 35s on the Sport Package. But, more often than not, at least in my experience, that is not the case.....45s and under tend to produce stiff rides. My Verano's 45's, for example, were nice in the summer, with warm soft rubber in the tires and warm shock fluid, but not in the winter. The Lacrosse's 50s are noticeably better year-around.
but if you want softer Avalon, there are both XLE and Limited grades... and nobody has to get optional 19" wheels if they dont have to. Most reviews said the ride was fine even in Touring, one said it was too harsh in Sport in Touring and other said it was harder... rest of the 10+ reviews I read said it was still good.

So it is very good from them to offer us options. You would get softer Limited and I would personally get Touring.
Old 04-23-18 | 03:51 PM
arentz07

Originally Posted by spwolf
it has a button to turn it on/off... no need to hate.

Just like AVS has comfort mode that gives you smooth ride or Sport+ if you want harder suspension.
It can be turned off? If it has an intake sound generator, which the Toyota press release seems to confirm, then there's a mechanical element which can't be removed (easily).

World Class Acoustics, Inside and Out

Avalon’s refined acoustic repertoire spans inside and out. Through Sport+, passengers receive a concerto of exciting, natural sounds through a new exhaust system with sport modified baffles, an Intake Sound Generator (ISG), Active Noise Control (ANC), and Engine Sound Enhancement (ESE).

ISG amplifies the engine’s air inhalation sound to create robust vocalization and, on the exhalation end, the all-new exhaust with baffle tuning ups the sound character at start-up, idle, and acceleration. ANC and ESE work to cancel any unwanted exterior noise while simultaneously enhancing engine sound via the JBL multimedia system’s in-cabin speakers. Exceptional engine notes at start-up are also enhanced; a hearty “flare” of sound occurs right before idle upon start-up. At wide-open-throttle acceleration, more engine grunt is heard throughout the rev range.

For all its added energetic vocalization, Avalon never ceases to deliver a civilized, library-quiet interior, if desired. Road noise and engine droning have been culled while cruising quietness and engine sound have been improved. Its TNGA platform utilizes additional seals where front fenders meet front doors and where the doors merge at the B-Pillar. More sound absorption material is found in the engine bay, within the carpet pad, under the floor, and in the wheel well liners. The exterior rearview mirrors not only reduce drag, but also wind noise, making for an extremely quite environment for all.
source: http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...hilaration.htm
Old 04-23-18 | 03:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The 2 gen Genesis and the G80 are the same. Any difference between the two is in your head. Anyways, that car doesn't have an adaptive suspension and neither does the MKZ so those examples don't illustrate the point. Neither did your Verano. and neither did that 335.

My LS460L rides better on 45 series tires than my LS460 did on 50 series tires. Why? Longer wheelbase and an adaptive suspension. I would suggest you drive a Volvo XC90 on air and on the regular suspension and note the difference with the big 22" wheels.
Old 04-23-18 | 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The 2 gen Genesis and the G80 are the same. Any difference between the two is in your head. Anyways, that car doesn't have an adaptive suspension and neither does the MKZ so those examples don't illustrate the point. Neither did your Verano. and neither did that 335.

My LS460L rides better on 45 series tires than my LS460 did on 50 series tires. Why? Longer wheelbase and an adaptive suspension. I would suggest you drive a Volvo XC90 on air and on the regular suspension and note the difference with the big 22" wheels.
I haven't sampled a recent LS460L, so I'll take your word for it. As for the G80/Genesis comparison, yes, they are basically the same on paper, and the same wheel tire size, but that doesn't mean that they have the same exact suspension-settings, spring-rates, or shock-damping. One unique thing about me is that I am very sensitive to a car's ride comfort, and can usually detect even very minor differences. That's one reason why I post so many comments on ride-quality, and why I include it in every review I do.

I do agree, however, that the 2Gen Genesis was remarkably smooth with the 45s...if you go back and look at that review I did, I really gave it some glowing remarks on that. It's also possible that the G80 I sampled had incorrect tire-pressure (too much air in the tires, which firmed it up a little), and/or the PSI indicators weren't working correctly. So...I'm not saying that you are totally wrong or I am totally right.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-23-18 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-23-18 | 04:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They are exactly the same car. Having driven both, I felt no difference in the ride characteristics.

The point I was making that you commented on however involves cars with adaptive suspension systems, which that car doesn't have (unless its a G80 Sport, and if it is guess what? It rides better than the normal G80 because of that adaptive system).
Old 04-23-18 | 07:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Old 04-23-18 | 08:05 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

The Camry has PANO roof. How come no PANO on avalon?
Old 04-23-18 | 09:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
The Camry has PANO roof. How come no PANO on avalon?
because old people don't care and don't have bored kids in the back
Old 04-23-18 | 09:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Read all the reviews and watched all the vids. The blown to bits front end is not growing on me one bit. Can't picture myself owning a car with so much missing on the body.
Old 04-23-18 | 09:29 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe someone will come up with a full front end kit.
Old 04-23-18 | 09:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Maybe someone will come up with a full front end kit.
Lol. That is funny.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon