Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 12:57 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I too am having a hard time seeing a TRD Avalon or understanding what it is supposed to accomplish.

But I think the ES F Sport will do well. Lexus is expecting 50k ES sales per year, with 25% being F Sport, and I can see that happening. I wonder what the take rate is on the RX F Sport. I wouldn't be surprised if the ES F Sport can do better in sales than the RX F Sport.
Agreed, especially since the only vehicles (at least in the US) that have dedicated TRD packages look to be the Tacoma and the 4Runner.
Old 06-14-18, 01:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I too am having a hard time seeing a TRD Avalon or understanding what it is supposed to accomplish.

But I think the ES F Sport will do well. Lexus is expecting 50k ES sales per year, with 25% being F Sport, and I can see that happening. I wonder what the take rate is on the RX F Sport. I wouldn't be surprised if the ES F Sport can do better in sales than the RX F Sport.
What difference does it make if the take rate for a ES F sport is whatever it is? The F Sport trim is pretty much a light cosmetic alternative to the regular models. So it is a win situation for Toyota to offer these model. Instead of having to jump to another trim, customers just chose the alternative. My guess is a TRD model is not going to be an additional model, it likely will the replacement for the Avalon Sport model with perhaps a few upgrades that mostly minor.
Old 06-14-18, 01:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What difference does it make if the take rate for a ES F sport is whatever it is? The F Sport trim is pretty much a light cosmetic alternative to the regular models. So it is a win situation for Toyota to offer these model. Instead of having to jump to another trim, customers just chose the alternative. My guess is a TRD model is not going to be an additional model, it likely will the replacement for the Avalon Sport model with perhaps a few upgrades that mostly minor.
I'm not understanding your question. Can you elaborate? I was merely adding information to the comment below, that Lexus expects 25% of ES sales to be the F Sport.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm with you on this one........I will be very surprised if a TRD Avalon manages to get significant sales figures. Like the Lacrosse with its slow-selling 20" wheel and Hi-Per Strut suspension option, it simply doesn't fit most of the car's demographics. And, though we'll have to wait and see, I don't think that the upcoming ES350 F-Sport models are going to do very well, either. The manufacturers seem to have forgotten that the vast majority of those who buy these vehicles (although, admittedly, a dwindling customer-base) are NOT looking for sport-orientation.
Old 06-14-18, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

toyota/lexus has totally botched the 'performance' add-ons branding/marketing/product in the u.s., forever.

trd, f-sport, l-tuned, toms, trying to remember if there's others too...

they need more consistency.

a trd avalon is like a a stiff suspension and low profile wheels on mmarshall's lacrosse... it's like, huh?
Old 06-14-18, 01:18 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Agreed, especially since the only vehicles (at least in the US) that have dedicated TRD packages look to be the Tacoma and the 4Runner.

I see plenty of TRD (badges) on Corollas, Camrys, Avalons and Hondas around where I live! So they must exist, at Autozone.

In all seriousness, I think the platform is finally good enough to be TRDed. The old platforms were just too wobbly and lacks overall rigidity to handle the stiffer shocks and springs. Then again, it is weird that Toyota did not debut the TRD packages with the introduction of the new models. It will definitely help in drumming up interest in these days of SUVness.
Old 06-14-18, 01:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not understanding your question. Can you elaborate? I was merely adding information to the comment below, that Lexus expects 25% of ES sales to be the F Sport.
You said you wonder what the take rate is of the F-sport. I was just saying it really makes no difference, as it is all the same. It is just an alternative to another trim level.
Old 06-14-18, 01:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

You said you wonder what the take rate is of the F-sport. I was just saying it really makes no difference, as it is all the same. It is just an alternative to another trim level.
It's just discussion. Questions came up about how well the ES F Sport would sell. I think it can sell at least as many as the RX F Sport. So I asked about the take rate on the RX F Sport as I was curious as to how that would relate to the goals that Lexus has set for the ES F Sport.
Old 06-14-18, 02:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It's just discussion. Questions came up about how well the ES F Sport would sell. I think it can sell at least as many as the RX F Sport. So I asked about the take rate on the RX F Sport as I was curious as to how that would relate to the goals that Lexus has set for the ES F Sport.
Yeah I agree. It is just discussion. An interesting one. I think the F-sport sub-brand is doing quite well.
Old 06-14-18, 02:38 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I see the Avalons are showing up at dealers now.

I'm still not sure about the look, but this is some of the best wheel gap I've seen from Toyota!

Old 06-14-18, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Looks good from the side... buttaface...
Old 06-15-18, 03:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Looks good from the side... buttaface...
LMAO. It does look good from the side for sure- and I agree on the wheel gap comment. I hadn't heard that term before until the thread started on here a few days ago - but now I notice it and how it changes the look of a car.

Like most new Toyota designs, I think the cars look much better in person than in pics. But I like the Avalon pictured above.
Old 06-15-18, 04:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
LMAO. It does look good from the side for sure- and I agree on the wheel gap comment. I hadn't heard that term before until the thread started on here a few days ago - but now I notice it and how it changes the look of a car.

Like most new Toyota designs, I think the cars look much better in person than in pics. But I like the Avalon pictured above.
It certainly does look better in person. Front end was designed to stir a reaction, a positive or a negative reaction. Those poking fun of the Avalon are responding to it, the response is just not in a neutral way, but that is OK as long as the response is not “meh” or “boring” etc etc. And if you look at all the cars that face (irony in there) some sort of extinction, they are generally more conservative, bland or ho hum designs. I won’t mention any car brands or names.
Old 06-15-18, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It certainly does look better in person. Front end was designed to stir a reaction, a positive or a negative reaction. Those poking fun of the Avalon are responding to it, the response is just not in a neutral way, but that is OK as long as the response is not “meh” or “boring” etc etc. And if you look at all the cars that face (irony in there) some sort of extinction, they are generally more conservative, bland or ho hum designs. I won’t mention any car brands or names.
Well, you answered your own point. If you wave a red flag in front of a bull, don't be surprised if you get a reaction.