Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 03:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Then it appears the fish gape will continue on and grow. Bummer. Back end looks much sportier. A lot of Camry details sprinkled throughout. LED headlights are pure Audi Q7- shameful.
Attached Thumbnails 2019 Toyota Avalon-audiq7.jpg   2019 Toyota Avalon-audiq7avalon.jpg  
Old 12-08-17, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
LED headlights are pure Audi Q7- shameful..
How is it shameful?
Old 12-09-17, 05:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This time, hopefully (2019), Toyota will get it right the first time. The last major redesign for the Avalon resulted in some (IMO) flimsy parts inside, too-firm underpinnings, and too stiff a ride for most of those who were attracted to this class of vehicle. A quick-softening of the suspension/tires had to be done on all but the Touring versions.
I dunno. While I agree the suspension was firmer, sales figures back up the notion that Toyota did the redesign right. The sales figures when from 29K in 2012 to 70K with the redesign. As for the interior, I don't mind, but I think the ES350 has a better design and feel to it. The professional reviews also seemed to be very very positive.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-09-17 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-09-17, 06:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I dunno. While I agree the suspension was firmer, sales figures back up the notion that Toyota did the redesign right. The sales figures when from 29K in 2012 to 70K with the redesign.
Perhaps, but Toyota did not spend the time and money they did to redo the all-new 2014 Avalon suspension again for 2016 for nothing. They got a lot of complaints about the too-firm underpinnings. I noticed it myself, even on a brief test-drive at the D.C. Auto show that year a few blocks around the show's building. (Toyota and a few other manufacturers set up that test-drive each year for their latest offerings).

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ooths-the-ride

As for the interior, I don't mind, but I think the ES350 has a better design and feel to it.
Yes, somewhat, but still not up to the level of the Genesis G80 which, IMO, in comparison, feels like it is carved out of a block of granite. Had I not chosen the Lacrosse, that is probably what I would have got.
Old 12-09-17, 06:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps, but Toyota did not spend the time and money they did to redo the all-new 2014 Avalon suspension again for 2016 for nothing. They got a lot of complaints about the too-firm underpinnings. I noticed it myself, even on a brief test-drive at the D.C. Auto show that year a few blocks around the show's building. (Toyota and a few other manufacturers set up that test-drive each year for their latest offerings).
You mean all-new 2013. Toyota actually did not redo the suspension. They added a softer riding model along the 2013 model.

YHad I not chosen the Lacrosse, that is probably what I would have got.
Perhaps you should of?
Old 12-09-17, 07:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Perhaps you should of?
ok, enough with second guessing mmarshall's car choice. obviously you're not a big lacrosse fan but he's happy with his decision so let it go.
Old 12-09-17, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

This time, hopefully (2019), Toyota will get it right the first time. The last major redesign for the Avalon resulted in some (IMO) flimsy parts inside, too-firm underpinnings, and too stiff a ride for most of those who were attracted to this class of vehicle. A quick-softening of the suspension/tires had to be done on all but the Touring versions.
having driven both gens of a friend i agree with you about the ride. the newer one seems a bit quieter too.
Old 12-09-17, 08:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ooths-the-ride

Yes, somewhat, but still not up to the level of the Genesis G80 which, IMO, in comparison, feels like it is carved out of a block of granite. Had I not chosen the Lacrosse, that is probably what I would have got.
It seems like a block of granite would be awfully heavy and not handle too well.
Old 12-09-17, 08:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Avalon sales aren't holding up as well as the ES. Thru November: Avalon 30.2k (-30%) and ES 46.4k (-11%). The 2019 Avalon should help sales, but CUV's and SUV's will probably do the bulk of the sales.
Old 12-09-17, 08:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Avalon sales aren't holding up as well as the ES. Thru November: Avalon 30.2k (-30%) and ES 46.4k (-11%). The 2019 Avalon should help sales, but CUV's and SUV's will probably do the bulk of the sales.
Avalon is still clipping away at about 1/2 what the current gen model sold in its first year. I would say that it is not bad at all. I also think the sales are higher than the final year of production for previous gen.
Old 12-09-17, 08:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok, enough with second guessing mmarshall's car choice. obviously you're not a big lacrosse fan but he's happy with his decision so let it go.
All good. It was an honest question. Just wanted to know. Perhaps my wording was not great. So I apologize.

As for the Avalon, the 13 redesign was very well regarded among auto publications which is a very difficult thing to do for that class of vehicle. It has always gotten great comments about fit and finish and interior quality. It won the Car & Driver comparo against the current Impala and others in 14. Plus, I have read the 13/14 model is one of the quietest cars on the road (I think more muted than an LS460). Lastly it should be commanded that it comes with standard leather and not the faux stuff. Honestly tho, I would rather have a ES350.
Old 12-09-17, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You mean all-new 2013. Toyota actually did not redo the suspension. They added a softer riding model along the 2013 model.
Yes, that's what I was getting at. The Touring model kept the stiffer ride. Others were softened.

I used the 2013 moniker because the first models actually went on sale in December of 2012, but, technically, you're right..it was considered a 2014 model.
Old 12-09-17, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

All good. It was an honest question. Just wanted to know. Perhaps my wording was not great. So I apologize.
No problem. I sometimes make comments myself that others take out of context. That's going to happen, now and then, on a forum as large as this one.

Just for the record, though, bit's correct....I do love most of the things about my car, with the only exceptions being one or two details in how the climate-functions are displayed, a quirk in the way the red engine-warning lights come on at start-up, and the fact that my trim-level (Preferred) does not have the automatic tilt-down in reverse for the outside mirrors....but I didn't feel the more expensive versions (and packages) were worth the money. Like you, I agree that it would be nice to have the tri-color shield on the steering wheel, instead of the chrome-outline, and a traditional big-Buick hood ornament, but thats just (minor) cosmetic stuff, nit-picking, and doesn't really affect the car itself.

As for the Avalon, the 13 redesign was very well regarded among auto publications which is a very difficult thing to do for that class of vehicle. It has always gotten great comments about fit and finish and interior quality. It won the Car & Driver comparo against the current Impala and others in 14. Plus, I have read the 13/14 model is one of the quietest cars on the road (I think more muted than an LS460). Lastly it should be commanded that it comes with standard leather and not the faux stuff. Honestly tho, I would rather have a ES350.
I agree that the 2014 Avalon's spit-and-polish inside looked nice at first glance, but (respectfully) we're just going to have to agree to disagree on some of the actual feel of some of the parts inside. IMO, the thin glove box lid felt almost as insubstantial as paper, the latch was flimsy (it barely held), and the twirl-***** on the console for the heated seats felt like they were going to break right off in your fingers. I will give the car credit, though....when the 2016 mid-cycle refresh came out last year (I did a short review), it seemed like Toyota not only put a little more give in the non-Touring suspension, but also worked on some of those flimsy parts inside as well.

(Now they're probably going to have to do the same with the C-HR LOL)

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-17 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-09-17, 12:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
having driven both gens of a friend i agree with you about the ride. the newer one seems a bit quieter too.
Ride is really subjective while sales numbers can't be disputed . Firmer rides seem to be what people want. Sales numbers support the idea that firming up the Avalon ride was the right thing to do in 2013.

My expectation is that the next gen model will have an adaptive variable suspension as an available option.
Old 12-09-17, 01:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Ride is really subjective while sales numbers can't be disputed . Firmer rides seem to be what people want. Sales numbers support the idea that firming up the Avalon ride was the right thing to do in 2013.
you can't always equate sales performance implying it was what people want. correlation doesn't mean causation.

My expectation is that the next gen model will have an adaptive variable suspension as an available option.
would make sense, especially since an accord touring now has it. but toyota is often very ponderous. it wasn't until 2016 i think that the highlander finally got led tail lights.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon