Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 10:46 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes. Toyota is not an economical brand, its a full on mainstream brand that has and always had some premium products. The price points of 4Runner, Highlander, Tundra, Sequoia, and of course Land Crusier can all be purchase at very high MSRP.

For those too young to remember, in the past, MR2, Supra, Cressida, were among some of the past examples of Toyota models that were considered a premium. .
Thank you!!! Same can be said for Chevy and Ford, they are a full line brand/manufacturer, you can spend $15k on a Fiesta/Sonic or $80k on a loaded dually pickup
Old 12-10-17, 11:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Thank you!!! Same can be said for Chevy and Ford, they are a full line brand/manufacturer, you can spend $15k on a Fiesta/Sonic or $80k on a loaded dually pickup
I would argue that Toyota is not quite at the level of the top end of Ford or GM. The new Expedition can be loaded up to $85K which is just astonishing. Toyota Tundra is nowhere near the big three in trucks. They do offer a full line but they are behind the competition. I think its a worthwhile discussion.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-10-17 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-10-17, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I guess we can speculate, however sales numbers are raw facts that are hard to argue with. Contrast the discussion with the Buick LaCrosse which received a redesign in 2017 yet the sales figures actually decreased from the year before in the final year of the last gen model, can we infer that perhaps GM missed what buyers really want in the new 2017? Then look back at the LaCrosse 2010 redesign which ended up doubling its numbers from the outgoing model of 2009, why has the current model not caught on? I think the 2010 design had a bit of more sporty or firm feel (but still nice riding)
The 2010 probably does not feel anywhere near as sport-oriented as the new 2017-2018 with the 20" wheels and Hi-Per-Strut electronic suspension. I myself wouldn't touch that version with a ten-foot pole, but the auto press seems to like it.

I am actually surprised Toyota is committed to the Avalon for the 2019 model. I thought they would cancel the model to be honest. Sales figures are a few years away however with all this talk about cross overs and SUVs, I would not be surprised if sales were to increase as Toyota is a pretty strong brand, I will be shocked to learn if sales were double while going to a much softer suspension. I do predict an AVS type suspension this time around and big MSRP price increase. I don't expect the new Avalon sales to match the 13 sales, but I would expect at least 20K increase in units moved.
SUVs are doing the same thing to the Avalon that they are to the Lacrosse and the other upmarket FWD/AWD sedans, though perhaps not to the same extent as at GM.

But back to the LaCrosse for a second, I test drove the 17 out of pure curiosity and all the talk and multiple threads about the car in this Lexus forum. I thought the vehicle was wonderful and definitely an excellent product. I think my comments were that the LaCrosse was much better driving than the Lexus ES. GM absolutely nailed the ride quality. But the big disappointment is that it is clearly not selling well, and generally speaking sales in the first year of redesigns should produce an increase.
Perhaps I overdid the number of threads I started (or should have started) about the car myself (and comparing it to its competition)....even so, each one went on and on with seemingly endless comments and input. Part of that was the long (4-month) bad experience I had ordering mine (GM kept changing the marketing and moving goal-posts every time me and my dealer punted). But, even so, It worked out just fine in the end, and I'm more than satisfied....especially with the new transmission in the 2018.

generally speaking sales in the first year of redesigns should produce an increase
We both know that GM's policy of non-defeatable engine start/stop and the E-Shifter is turning off at least some buyers. I've gotten used to mine (and how to defeat it or manipulate the mechanism by accelerator/brake pedal tricks). The mechanism doesn't always operate, either.....like on the long warm-up on the way to church this morning, after the snow yesterday, with a number of defrosting/de-icing and heating elements, all going at once, placing demand on the alternator....it won't operate during high-discharge periods.
Old 12-10-17, 02:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yep. There'a a reason why Toyota, Ford, and Chevy consistently have the most floor space at the big auto shows....though, in some cases, Jeep's indoor obstacle-course is also a big piece of real-estate.
Old 12-10-17, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I would argue that Toyota is not quite at the level of the top end of Ford or GM. The new Expedition can be loaded up to $85K which is just astonishing. Toyota Tundra is nowhere near the big three in trucks. They do offer a full line but they are behind the competition. I think its a worthwhile discussion.
On the lower end, though, Toyota's new C-HR is something that, right now, Ford or GM has no direct competition for, though the upcoming Ford Ecosport will offer about the same-sized platform with more traditional, space-efficient styling and the AWD option that the C-HR lacks. (I'm also not impressed at all with the C-HR's build quality....but the latest version of the Escape has not been that impressive either). Nevertheless, several of my colleagues (and their spouses) who I regularly swim with are interested in a new small (or sub-compact) SUV, and I'm advising them all to wait and at least take a look at the EcoSport early next year before doing any serious shopping.
Old 12-10-17, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the model prior to the '13 was a dinosaur, so no surprise the '13 sales were a lot higher. but we can speculate all day and night.

That former version, though, had several advantages. The build quality, though not up to the level of the original U.S.-market one in 1994, was still fairly impressive. They got the suspension and tires right......something they clearly didn't do with the 2013. The interior, though less-flashy to look at than the 2013, seemed roomier, more space-efficient, had a higher roofline, and with more-solid materials inside. And..............(Get this).............yes, it came wth a REAL spare tire.
Old 12-10-17, 02:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That former version, though, had several advantages. The build quality, though not up to the level of the original U.S.-market one in 1994, was still fairly impressive. They got the suspension and tires right......something they clearly didn't do with the 2013. The interior, though less-flashy to look at than the 2013, seemed roomier, more space-efficient, had a higher roofline, and with more-solid materials inside. And..............(Get this).............yes, it came wth a REAL spare tire.
Strange. Almost all of the automotive press praise the 13s interior.
Old 12-10-17, 02:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They got the suspension and tires right.....
There were two different suspensions. A firmer touring as well as the softer riding limited. I believe the touring was canceled in 2011
Old 12-10-17, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Strange. Almost all of the automotive press praise the 13s interior.
Sure, it was nice to LOOK at.....I've said that many times. It had good fit/finish on the surface, rich-looking wood-tone, chrome, brushed-metal, etc.....

But looks, on the surface, can be deceiving. Underneath the surface-flash was flimsy, Cracker-Jack materials....I've already listed the worst ones in other posts. Other reviewers can have their opinions....I respect them (and I respect yours). But my own opinion on the 2013-2015 stands.....I'm not changing it. Last year, though, for 2016, in addition to the softer-suspension option, some improvements were also made inside, and, when I did a review, I duly noted them.

And, no, I'm not just picking on Toyota here. I also criticized the original Buick Enclave SUV for exactly the same thing.....a nice rich look to the interior trim (with acres of wood-tone and chrome)....but, like the 2013 Avalon, Cracker-Jack materials underneath that surface rich-look.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 03:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

. Remember, tires back then had higher, softer sidewalls, and didn't transmit as much road shock through to the cabin.
Just looked up the product information. The 2005 Touring model had 215/55R17 tires, the 2013 model had the exact same 215/55R17 tires.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-10-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Form what I remember, even the Touring suspension wasn't that bad. Remember, tires back then had higher, softer sidewalls, and didn't transmit as much road shock through to the cabin.
I cannot remember that far back.

But from an Autoblog review:

"The Touring model ($28,875) features more aggressive suspension tuning and 17-inch alloy wheels with P215/55R17 Michelin MXV4 tires and high-intensity-discharge head lamps. Touring also upgrades to leather-trimmed seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift ****, and aluminum scuff plates."

"The Touring model is set up for sharper handling performance than the others, with stiffer shock tuning and Michelin MXV4 tires on 17-inch wheels. The Touring has quicker reflexes, at the expense of some ride comfort and noise control, and delivers a secure, on-center feeling through the twisties"

"Add the tighter suspension of the Touring model and the Avalon is decidedly sporty. "
Old 12-10-17, 03:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Other reviewers can have their opinions....I respect them .
Fair enough.
Old 12-10-17, 03:22 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The Land Cruiser is pegged at $83k fully loaded standard and they hold their value extremely well for what many of us would say is an archaic SUV that has been in its current model for ages. With that said, I think Toyota needs to pick up the pace with their truck and SUVs and release some new models, because they're quickly falling behind in tech and interior quality.
Old 12-10-17, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just looked up the product information. The 2005 Touring model had 215/55R17 tires, the 2013 model had the exact same 215/55R17 tires.
Again, pretty much what I was saying. It's hard to find 55s on that class of upmarket sedans today. Even my comfort-oriented Lacrosse has 50s on 18" wheels.. And the Lincoln MKZ comes with either 40 or 45-series, depending on wheel and option. The Genesis products I've looked at also come with 45s.
Old 12-10-17, 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Again, pretty much what I was saying. It's hard to find 55s on that class of upmarket sedans today.
55s are not the issue for ride comfort.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon