Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why 5k/6 month service schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 06:58 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
they are open Saturday. No way I want to change my oil and rotate my tires.
some of us work weekends and holidays and my tires are of sets can't be rotated
Old 07-19-17, 06:59 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And go figure back in the 70s, there were some cars with a manufacturer recommended maintenance interval of 10K. (this I just recently found out)
yes, but those took conventional oil. the contemporary luxury vehicles almost nearly all use synthetic.
Old 07-19-17, 07:00 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

How far do you live to the dealer? Could you not just have then shuttle you to work?
1/2 hr ride to dealer and a 1 1/2 hr ride one way to work without traffic
Old 07-19-17, 07:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Why would you not want a new RX350 to drive around while your car is being serviced vs waiting around in the dealership?

As for offices for the SAs, it depends on the dealer. Some have little offices, some have a big desk with stations, some have stalls.
It wasn't the loaner that I did not want, it's the unnecessary $5k worth of services that I did not want. I don't know what the threshold is, but at the two Lexus dealers I have been to, they do not issue a loaner for any job. The waiting areas were full at both dealerships. Yet, the RX350's were stacked, sitting there doing nothing. They could have cleared out the waiting area with them.

Lexus > BMW in customer service attitude, but BMW > Lexus in issuance of loaners and cost of service
Old 07-19-17, 07:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

The Lexus policy is a free loaner for any service of 8 hours or greater (it's in your warranty guide). From there, it varies by dealership. My dealer's policy is a free loaner with any service 2 hours or longer, though they've often provided me a loaner for services that are shorter than 2 hours. They also have a shuttle.
Old 07-19-17, 07:57 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer came to my house to pickup the RX and dropped it off. There was no charge for the 5k service or pickup and drop off.

One of the many reasons I replaced my previous RX with a new RX. Lexus and the dealer continue to earn my business.
Old 07-19-17, 08:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
yes, but those took conventional oil. the contemporary luxury vehicles almost nearly all use synthetic.
Which is the same interval now for synthetic?
Old 07-19-17, 08:12 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Which is the same interval now for synthetic?
No, I dunno what other marques are recommending with regard to oil change frequencies nor type of oil used, but Lexus Is recommending oil changes every 10k miles with synthetic. Mobil 1 synthetic is what dealers use I believe.
Old 07-19-17, 08:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
The Lexus policy is a free loaner for any service of 8 hours or greater (it's in your warranty guide). From there, it varies by dealership. My dealer's policy is a free loaner with any service 2 hours or longer, though they've often provided me a loaner for services that are shorter than 2 hours. They also have a shuttle.
Just poking fun, BMW's requirement is that you have a pulse at the time you are leaving the dealership...

But being serious, this is convenient in that even if your service is $63, you can still get to work maybe 1/2 late. And no rush to return the car, keep it 2-3-5 days if you really need to. My car is a 2007 and has long been out of warranty. Had a loaner for 4.5 months in 2016 while my car sat in my garage waiting for an airbag. Different philosophy. Again, the waiting areas reflect the difference. BMW empty. Lexus full.
Old 07-19-17, 08:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gibster
My dealer came to my house to pickup the RX and dropped it off. There was no charge for the 5k service or pickup and drop off.

One of the many reasons I replaced my previous RX with a new RX. Lexus and the dealer continue to earn my business.
I know it's often unavoidable, but I prefer the dealer to not drive my car on public roads (my BMW dealer was remodeled, so today, once the vehicle enters the drop off area, it never goes back outside, even overnight as the storage is indoors/multi-level (of course unless it has to be road tested), I've seen all the youtubes, and although they are the exception, **** happens....
Old 07-19-17, 08:18 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had my Lexus they were all on 10k miles service intervals. All Lexus sold in Europe are. That said, BMW and Audi etc have moved the game on and are on variable servicing which in my case means a service every 18k miles. Lexus needs to catch up as 10k service intervals with a major service every 20k gets very expensive.
Old 07-19-17, 09:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
No, I dunno what other marques are recommending with regard to oil change frequencies nor type of oil used, but Lexus Is recommending oil changes every 10k miles with synthetic. Mobil 1 synthetic is what dealers use I believe.
Other brands from Germany are on a one year visit at 10K.
Old 07-19-17, 10:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Other brands from Germany are on a one year visit at 10K.
Yeah I think the dividing line was 7/13 production. My car is 2 yr. /15k today, being a '07, and it was 1 yr. / 15k when it was new. This was changed with a software update. Kinda doesn't really make sense imho. Just imagine, one car was produced 6/13, and another 8/13....or, what this really could be saying is 2014 MY+. Like GM with the Dexos1 2011+....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-19-17 at 11:48 AM. Reason: 8/13
Old 07-19-17, 11:36 AM
Seppo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5k service interval between the 10k services is an annoying waste of time. After decades of Volkswagens, Audis, and BMWs with 10k intervals or variable intervals, the Lexus maintenance schedule is annoying. Yes, my CPO's first four services were paid for at purchase, but having to schedule a pickup and loaner every two months is a little much, for those of us who drive 28k miles or more annually.
My servicing Lexus dealer is thirty five minutes away, the opposite direction from work, which is fifty minutes in a different direction. The last service I scheduled the pickup at my house, for their convenience rather than my own, and the driver didn't show up at the appointed time. A half hour later he called me from my workplace, Hey, where are ya? That morning was a total waste of my time, but at least they changed the oil when they finally got the car.

Really, even my pathetic BMW dealer was more convenient and adequately competent for my prior car, and our other car is an Audi, with sensational service and normal service intervals without the 5k nonsense.
Old 07-19-17, 10:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I thought most Lexi are 10k oil change intervals by now (?). The 5k is rapidly becoming outdated. No one should drive their car for 5k miles without having the settings they want. All those things should be done at delivery, as it only takes a very short time to program.

Quick Reply: Why 5k/6 month service schedule?