Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Buick Regal GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 10:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So sounds like they won't ever see a dime from you, but if someone said "I have a free A4 or Regal GS for you, which would you like?" you'd take the Regal.

Now I have considered. I am going to have to abstain from a decision.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-17 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-22-17, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Regal and A4 are really in a kind of different segment. A4/IS/3/C all in the same category. The A4 should have superior performance driving while credentials while the Buick Regal should have better day to day driving satisfaction. If I had the choice, the Regal would be the car I would want to get.
Both cars, of course, offer RWD. Normally I'd agree with you on the Buick, but Audi and Subaru, don't forget, wrote the book on how to do car-based AWD. Their Quattro and Symmetrical AWD systems go back to the early 1980s. For a car with AWD, I'd probably choose from one of those two manufacturers....I myself, of course, had an Outback for almost six years.

I sure as hell don't trust Audi
The bad old days of Audi unreliability seem to be behind them. According to CR and JD Power, the brand, as a whole, now ranks up with Buick and Toyota/Lexus in reliability. Kia has also shown dramatic improvement lately.

Best looking car that has caught my eyes in the last few years is the Buick Cascada.
Again....don't forget, like the Verano, Regal, and Encore,the Cascada is a rebadged Opel, with the solidly-built Opel quality. All four vehicles are above average in reliability.

One word of caution, though, on the Cascada...the standard 20" wheels/tires are fine on a smooth road, but you'll know it when you hit a bump.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-22-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-22-17, 11:10 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

They are rebadged what? Opels? You don't say.
Old 07-22-17, 11:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
They are rebadged what? Opels? You don't say.
Who knew!..
Old 07-22-17, 11:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
I agree with you on let's say, paper comparisons about drive train options. But the reality is that reviewers and owners constantly praise VW/Audi turbo 4's. You can compare the 0-60 times. This Regal GS (which is the performance variant here) goes what? 6.5 secs to 60. The Audi already has that nailed down with 5.2 secs. And it's down on horsepower by about 60 hp on the V6. So what's the advantage of the V6 here? And heaven forbid any sporting driver in a GS runs up against an S4 because it will blast to 60 in 4.3 secs!

The thing is that it's about performance, image, youthfulness. The Buick has made some astonishing progress but it has had a tough time losing it's stodgy old people's image. You can see even in this latest model how Buick, is shedding that big ole "1950's soda stand" image. They're using the Opel grill cues.

Now of course you can say that it's not all about C&D stats etc but when a car performs exceptionally well on some benchmarks, you know it's going to be outstanding in normal driving. The A4/S4 twins should be Buick's benchmark. That would be the spirit of the old GN's, GNX's. If all you want to do is offer an alternative to the Fusion Sport, then you have a winner.
I am betting the new gen Regal GS will be sub 5.5 0-60mph
Old 07-22-17, 07:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Regal and A4 are really in a kind of different segment. A4/IS/3/C all in the same category. The A4 should have superior performance driving while credentials while the Buick Regal should have better day to day driving satisfaction. If I had the choice, the Regal would be the car I would want to get.
Yes, I agree. They are in different segments. But the lower two tiers of A4's are in the neighborhood for pricing as the loaded GS.

I am betting the new gen Regal GS will be sub 5.5 0-60mph
It should be able to do it but their official number is 6.2. It's got AWD and 300 plus hp. Just have to wait and see, I guess with reviews and magazine tests.