Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you won the lottery today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
oh, there already is a thread on this topic. Oops.
You added some interesting conditions, though.

I normally keep a car for 5-6 years or so, so I'm not sure that I could really give a definite answer on a car "For the rest of my life".
Old 07-21-17, 06:33 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You added some interesting conditions, though.

I normally keep a car for 5-6 years or so, so I'm not sure that I could really give a definite answer on a car "For the rest of my life".
you have to or no car at all. Choose wisely!
Old 07-21-17, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

you have to or no car at all. Choose wisely!
Well, in that case, maybe something that looks on the outside like an unmarked police car...except without flashing lights, so I couldn't legally be busted for impersonating the police. That way, drivers all around me wouldn't be doing all the illegal ****** that I see them do day in and day out. I get tired of watching the same crap every day....red-light running, speeding, weaving, cell-phone/texting, illegal cut-throughs, etc....with very little enforcement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-21-17 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 07:05 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Well, in that case, maybe something that looks on the outside like an unmarked police car...except without flashing lights, so I couldn't legally be busted for impersonating the police. That way, drivers all around me wouldn't be doing all the illegal ****** that I see them do day in and day out. I get tired of watching the same crap every day....red-light running, speeding, weaving, cell-phone/texting, illegal cut-throughs, etc....with very little enforcement.

You sure you want to go the Crown Vic route? They're slowly being replaced by newer vehicles. The Ford Explorer is particularly popular around here.
Old 07-21-17, 07:13 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

If I hit the lottery and only one vehicle I would think like, a Bentley continental GT Speed Convertible . Sporty enough now, luxurious enough for later. Plenty of room still inside for four. Easy still to get in and out of when my wife and I are old. I think it's a great mix.
Cons: my ocd would be so terrible with a car of that price. It's bad enough as it is. The fear of getting a stone chip or anything would drive me bonkers. Guess I would have to try and get over it.

Last edited by Coleroad; 07-21-17 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You sure you want to go the Crown Vic route? They're slowly being replaced by newer vehicles. The Ford Explorer is particularly popular around here.
Yes, I'm aware of that....and the Taurus and Charger are quite popular in this area. I only used the Vic as an example. But the Vics were so ubiquitous as cop-mobiles, for so many years, that just the sight of one, even unmarked or in a dull color without police-badges on it, still instantly triggers an "Oh-Oh....better check my speedometer" reaction in a lot of drivers.
Old 07-21-17, 07:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Yeah. Rarely see those anymore. All Explorers now. The best all arounder with families is the Panamera Turbo S. That would definitely be the weapon of choice for swerving, speeding, and general hooligan driving (no family members riding of course) to annoy Mr Marshall.
Old 07-21-17, 07:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah. Rarely see those anymore. All Explorers now. The best all arounder with families is the Panamera Turbo S. That would definitely be the weapon of choice for swerving, speeding, and general hooligan driving (no family members riding of course) to annoy Mr Marshall.
I'm probably not the only one you would be annoying.

Anyhow, on the Panamera, I myself did a full-review of one when it first debuted. Yes.....quite a car. In fact, I came very close to having an accident in it....not through any fault of my own. It's quite rare that I have a close-call on a review, but, in this case, a girl in a Honda Civic suddenly cut right in front of me...no warning, turn signals, nothing....while trying to turn left at the last second from the right-hand lane. The Panama's excellent brakes and suspension, though (being a Porsche), along with my still-quick reflexes for someone my age, and another clear lane to my left, avoided an accident.
Old 07-21-17, 07:24 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Coleroad
If I hit the lottery and only one vehicle I would think like, a Bentley continental GT Speed Convertible . Sporty enough now, luxurious enough for later. Plenty of room still inside for four. Easy still to get in and out of when my wife and I are old. I think it's a great mix.
Cons: my ocd would be so terrible with a car of that price. It's bad enough as it is. The fear of getting a stone chip or anything would drive me bonkers. Guess I would have to try and get over it.
Good choice! I forgot about Bentley. As for rock chips, you can have paint protection film applied over the entire vehicle. My ISs both have PPF and it's been great -- the cars look like the day I bought them!
Old 07-21-17, 07:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad

Isn't it a bit sick, when someone at work has what another person fantasizes about (I don't know if it's the exact model you posted but it is silver and a soft top and looks like the pic)? I think everyone is different, I mean the CIO at our from had an A6, pretty plain. There are times I wonder about the growing divide, between the have even mores, and the have nots.

With the given conditions I would not be able to choose, I'd probably find alternate transportation! But if I did have to choose it might have to be an suv to be practical...
Old 07-21-17, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good choice! I forgot about Bentley.
Bentleys are a good choice for those who like Rolls-plushness, but with a little more in the steering-response and handling department.
Old 07-21-17, 07:30 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Good choice! I forgot about Bentley. As for rock chips, you can have paint protection film applied over the entire vehicle. My ISs both have PPF and it's been great -- the cars look like the day I bought them!
lol, me too. I asked my wife the question. This was her response, I just thought she had this spot on.
Old 07-21-17, 07:37 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Bentleys are a good choice for those who like Rolls-plushness, but with a little more in the steering-response and handling department.
that and I find rolls really unattractive. i don't see what the appeal is. heritage, brand snobbery -- that's it imo.
Old 07-21-17, 07:39 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Id splurge on a few AMGS, ranging from the S63, GT, and E63 wagon.
Old 07-21-17, 07:44 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
Id splurge on a few AMGS, ranging from the S63, GT, and E63 wagon.
You can only pick one for the rest of your life. Choose wisely!

Quick Reply: If you won the lottery today...