Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti drops the QX70 for 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Infiniti drops the QX70 for 2018

Well, here's a generally rare move nowadays...a crossover SUV being cancelled instead of a sedan LOL. From Infiniti, though, it is apparently only temporary, as an all-new model may be in the works in a few more years.

I never did like this vehicle much, though.....ugly and awkward-looking in my book. It was designed, though, back before Infiniti started cutting down on the solidity of its materials, so it had more of a nice hefty feel than some of the newer Infinitis.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...iti-drops-qx70

Infiniti drops QX70

Viknesh Vijayenthiran
1Jul 24, 2017
Follow Viknesh

2017 Infiniti QX70 Limited

Although it’s BMW that’s generally accepted for instigating the coupe-like SUV segment with the first-generation X6, some credit should be given to Infiniti whose slinky FX was introduced several years prior to the BMW.

The FX is currently in its second generation and known today as the QX70. The second-generation model has been on sale since 2008, but 2017 will be the FX/QX's last year on the market as Infiniti has decided to drop the vehicle.

Infiniti has confirmed to Automotive News (subscription required) that there won’t be a 2018 QX70. Instead, the automaker will focus on redesigned versions of the QX50 and QX80 which will feature next-generation design themes. Both vehicles are expected on the market in the next 12 months.

The good news is that the QX70 won’t disappear for good. According to Automotive News’ sources, a redesigned model is in the works. This new QX70 is expected to arrive for the 2021 or 2022 model year, but instead of the more premium rear-drive platform of the current generation the new model is expected to adopt the front-wheel-drive platform found in Nissan’s Murano and Pathfinder.

For the current QX70’s last year on the market, Infiniti is offering a QX70 Limited model which offers a number of additional luxuries. The sole powertrain is a 325-horsepower 3.7-liter V-6 mated to a 7-speed automatic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-24-17 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-24-17, 09:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

i'm sure its sales numbers are tiny, and it's been around a decade and really dated and not very useful in space-efficiency. no great loss.
Old 07-24-17, 09:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm sure its sales numbers are tiny, and it's been around a decade and really dated and not very useful in space-efficiency. no great loss.
Not much of what Infiniti sells, period, though, seems to be going through any roofs
Old 07-24-17, 09:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This is a good example of what happens when you don't give attention to a model that needs attention. This vehicle category is red hot and could be a big mover for Infiniti. It's a shame they haven't touched it for so long. Huge potential here. Infiniti doesn't seem to have a grasp on schedules, where to spend money, or how to compete with the others. Acura had similar problems, but seems to be getting out of that rut with fresher models (albeit not necessarily better models).
Old 07-24-17, 10:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is a good example of what happens when you don't give attention to a model that needs attention. This vehicle category is red hot and could be a big mover for Infiniti. It's a shame they haven't touched it for so long. Huge potential here. Infiniti doesn't seem to have a grasp on schedules, where to spend money, or how to compete with the others. Acura had similar problems, but seems to be getting out of that rut with fresher models (albeit not necessarily better models).
Infiniti doesn't have the kind of money, though, that a huge corporation like Toyota/Lexus, GM, Ford, or Hyundai/Kia does. What's more, of course, they are French-owned by Renault....so they couldn't spend money on anything that Carlos Ghosn didn't give the green light to.
Old 07-24-17, 10:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Nissan and Renault don't have deep pockets? Those are some big companies.
Old 07-24-17, 10:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Nissan and Renault don't have deep pockets? Those are some big companies.
Probably not as deep as the four large corporations I mentioned.

(Notice I didn't mention VW....yes, they are huge outside of the U.S., but the scandal is draining more fines and settlement-money out of them every day LOL).
Old 07-25-17, 06:17 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

This is a good example of what happens when you don't give attention to a model that needs attention. This vehicle category is red hot and could be a big mover for Infiniti. It's a shame they haven't touched it for so long. Huge potential here.
Yup. Sporty RWD-based SUVs are flying off BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover, and Porsche lots. Infiniti had the ONLY Japanese luxury product in that class, but continuously neglected it. Therefore it hasn't been competitive in many years, and its cancellation is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Clearly, Infiniti needs a Murano-based midsized entrant, as the Pathfinder-based QX60 is too big for many and the little QX30 too small. But it should not be in place of a fun-to-drive model, especially when they have the market cornered. Guess they really want to be a "me too" brand.
Old 07-25-17, 08:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not much of what Infiniti sells, period, though, seems to be going through any roofs
Q50, QX60 sell in decent numbers (3000+) and the Q60 does well for a coupe.
Old 07-25-17, 08:37 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

wow.. why they never updated this SUV is beyond me..

This is probably the sportiest SUV I've ever driven.. out-handles most cars.
Old 07-25-17, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Q50, QX60 sell in decent numbers (3000+) and the Q60 does well for a coupe.

My point, though, was that it's still rather low compared to a number of their competitors....particularly Lexus.
Old 07-25-17, 12:19 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
wow.. why they never updated this SUV is beyond me..

This is probably the sportiest SUV I've ever driven.. out-handles most cars.
Does it make sense as a slightly used car to purchase? I've seen some very low mileage 2016s on Autotrader asking for low 30k's. Just asking out of curiosity.
Old 07-25-17, 12:27 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Does it make sense as a slightly used car to purchase? I've seen some very low mileage 2016s on Autotrader asking for low 30k's. Just asking out of curiosity.
I think so.. The VQ engine is rock solid.. but the tech inside is pretty outdated.. if you care.
I think the NAV system is at least 10 years old (minor updates/resolution)...

Don't expect a quiet, smooth ride. The ride will be sporty.
Gas mileage is not too great.

Test drive it.. you'll know within 2 minutes whether you like it or not.
Old 07-25-17, 12:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My point, though, was that it's still rather low compared to a number of their competitors....particularly Lexus.
not important, but Q50/Q60 handily outsold IS/RC last month. of course lexus has the more mainstream es which sells well (4.5k last mo).
Old 07-25-17, 01:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

RIP bionic cheetah. I've driven an FX50 on several occasions and while some aspects are dated or compromised, it's a hoot to drive.

Quick Reply: Infiniti drops the QX70 for 2018