Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2017

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 07:47 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Why give up so soon?!? It's only been 2.5 years since they stopped selling the ISF new, lol.

V.
People at Lexus corporate indicated there would be no 3IS-F as early as 2012, just FYI. The 3IS-F has been dead for a long time - it will be a major announcement if Lexus revives it - it is not the other way around.
Old 07-28-17, 09:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
People at Lexus corporate indicated there would be no 3IS-F as early as 2012, just FYI. The 3IS-F has been dead for a long time - it will be a major announcement if Lexus revives it - it is not the other way around.
I guess you could argue that the RC F supersedes it as far as this generation of Lexi goes.

Over on the 3IS forums we have been talking about how the IS and several other models need updates to their powertains. In particular, the 6-speed needs to be replaced with the 8-speed where possible to improve fuel economy, as well as the old 3.5L V6 needing some updates. It's not quite competitive. Of course, the question remains as to what will replace it. Somehow I doubt they'll go to an inline six-cylinder, but perhaps a smaller V6, like a 3.0L, with turbocharging, would be a good replacement. I'm not sure the current turbo 2.0L four-cylinder is up to the task.
Old 07-28-17, 12:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Which is fine. I'd rather they implement the 2ndISF on the 4IS when it switches over to GA-L.

Originally Posted by arentz07
I guess you could argue that the RC F supersedes it as far as this generation of Lexi goes.

Over on the 3IS forums we have been talking about how the IS and several other models need updates to their powertains. In particular, the 6-speed needs to be replaced with the 8-speed where possible to improve fuel economy, as well as the old 3.5L V6 needing some updates. It's not quite competitive. Of course, the question remains as to what will replace it. Somehow I doubt they'll go to an inline six-cylinder, but perhaps a smaller V6, like a 3.0L, with turbocharging, would be a good replacement. I'm not sure the current turbo 2.0L four-cylinder is up to the task.
I could buy that.

Well the 8-Speed is on the 200t and 350's. Are you referring to the 6-Speed on the AWD models? To that I agree. The AWD needs a major overhaul, it'd be nice to eliminate the hump this time around and make it more 'world market friendly' (the hump is on the passenger side on japanese RH drive models so its no issue there). The 2.0T is here to stay, but I'd bet that by the 2020 4IS they'll call it IS300 to match the 2018 NX300 (2017 formally NX200t), and increase from 241hp to 270+. The 3.5L TTV6 from the 2018 LS could be in a higher performance 350/400/450/F guise, or it could be a smaller V6 bespoke to the IS and RC, maybe 2.5L-3.0L.
Old 07-28-17, 12:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sorry I missed a comma. 'A model below the NX and UX, is slated to be a true CT replacement.'
No problem. The point is that the current CT may be cancelled but it looks like there will be a replacement for it. And if we wish hard enough, perhaps it will the compact sedan that some hope for.
Old 07-28-17, 12:33 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Which is fine. I'd rather they implement the 2ndISF on the 4IS when it switches over to GA-L.

I could buy that.

Well the 8-Speed is on the 200t and 350's. Are you referring to the 6-Speed on the AWD models? To that I agree. The AWD needs a major overhaul, it'd be nice to eliminate the hump this time around and make it more 'world market friendly' (the hump is on the passenger side on japanese RH drive models so its no issue there). The 2.0T is here to stay, but I'd bet that by the 2020 4IS they'll call it IS300 to match the 2018 NX300 (2017 formally NX200t), and increase from 241hp to 270+. The 3.5L TTV6 from the 2018 LS could be in a higher performance 350/400/450/F guise, or it could be a smaller V6 bespoke to the IS and RC, maybe 2.5L-3.0L.
Toyota is probably working on adapting the 8-speed for AWD. Hopefully, it is a better integrated adaptation and does away with that hump.
Old 07-28-17, 12:48 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 735 Likes on 506 Posts

You get used to the bump after a while I really like my GS, but now that I've had the same engine/transmission combo since 2006, I'm kind of regretting my decision. Especially since I'm only getting ~20 MPG
Old 07-28-17, 01:03 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sulu
No problem. The point is that the current CT may be cancelled but it looks like there will be a replacement for it. And if we wish hard enough, perhaps it will the compact sedan that some hope for.
CLA and A3 sell decently. Wonder what a smaller Lexus sedan would be called? What's left AS BS CS DS FS JS KS MS NS OS PS QS RS SS TS US VS WS XS YS ZS
Old 07-28-17, 01:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.........and look at the success those two brands are having, without Mammoth-Cave grilles LOL.

Agreed on the small V6s. Although it didn't have a great deal of power (only marginally more than equal-displacement N/A in-line fours, the Lexus 2.5L V6, was, IMO, an ideal small engine for smoothness and refinement.
Yes, BMW and Mercedes are doing okay. But so is Lexus. So it's really hard to say what effect the gaping grille has had on sales vs. the more mild fronts of the other two brands. If anything, the obnoxious grilles have brought in a younger demographic to Lexus. The majority of those I see in new IS's are young males racing around.
Totally agree about the 2.5 V6. Smooth as silk, refined, plenty of zip around town, pleasant engine note, and relatively same fuel economy as a larger four cyclinder (21/29). I love mine. The carbon build-up issue has long been fixed, so that's cleared it out.
Old 07-28-17, 02:25 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

CLA and A3 sell decently. Wonder what a smaller Lexus sedan would be called? What's left AS BS CS DS FS JS KS MS NS OS PS QS RS SS TS US VS WS XS YS ZS
"BS"? Yeah, I like that one!
Old 07-28-17, 02:29 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yes, this was clearly Lexus' strategy. Just unfortunate that they alienated those wanting a sedan - elimination of 3IS-F pushed me in a different direction as far as DDs and now it's probably going to be a long time before I consider buying a Lexus again.

Even BMW has a surprisingly high take rate on the M3 - about 27% took the E90.
Old 07-29-17, 01:01 AM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Most likely it will called the SA, based off the LF-SA...

SA 200h
SA 200
Old 07-29-17, 10:39 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy to hear that Lexus is potentially bringing back the CT. I just question why Lexus delays updates of a lot of their models, leaving gaps in their lineup and lengthening the model's generations. See the LS' 5ish year gap, GX&LX, and now the CT.

With news of Toyota developing a solid-state battery EV car, I hope they plan on using this technology for Lexus as well. Imagine a Tesla Model 3 competitor for Lexus that will launch with the Prius model in 2022. If Toyota truly broke grounds on the implementation of a solid-state battery, that might well push them at the head of the EV game in 5 years time. But I doubt Tesla is resting on their EV laurels and have something similar planned...
Old 07-29-17, 02:00 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really hoping that Lexus and Toyota brings us really good plug-in hybrids in a near future. Cars with electric drivetrain as primary power source and combustion engines to help the battery/eletric motors, and not the other way around as it is today. This also eleminates the issue with Lex/toyota having many engines with poor acceleration/performance. The F brand should be something like the new Panamera Turbo S or Mc Laren P1, but with more focus on the eletric drive.
Old 07-31-17, 12:39 AM
Hoovey689

Updated first page. Anyone with different luxury makes know how long they give their telecommunication service for? Ex. Mercedes Mbrace. GM OnStar etc..

7/31/2017
- All 2018 Lexus will have 10 Years of Lexus Enform complimentary now from the standard 1 year.
Old 07-31-17, 07:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Updated first page. Anyone with different luxury makes know how long they give their telecommunication service for? Ex. Mercedes Mbrace. GM OnStar etc..

7/31/2017
- All 2018 Lexus will have 10 Years of Lexus Enform complimentary now from the standard 1 year.
That is cool. I'm not having much luck finding a source for that - where'd you hear it?

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2017