Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus's brand value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17 | 10:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
One thing not mentioned here is the dealership experience. I have been to just about every type of dealership make, and none seem to have the same standard as Lexus. They are in a league of their own with how they treat their customers, how they fix and service cars, and how they leave the condition of the vehicle when done. And even after nine years of Lexus ownership, I am still getting loaner cars, freebies, and the red carpet treatment when I take mine in. I think this nationwide customer service treatment has set a standard not often matched.
Just about any brand can offer or exceed what some Lexus dealers are currently offering. That said, I took my 4Runner in for an emission test today at a split Lexus/Toyota dealer (one of the last ones). I relaxed in the Lexus area and they offered a few snacks and beverages and they offered premium loose leaf tea. Nothing was prepared for you. The other side where the Toyota is cafe is located they have an onsite chef who can prepare something for you while you wait, but for a fee. Just bottled water was available. The Lexus side seemed to be a carbon copy of what other Mercedes dealers in the area offer. But there is on Mercedes dealer that seems to pamper and offer even more. Lexus did kind of master the current service experience, but pretty much all the brands have caught up in offering amenities.
Old 07-31-17 | 10:38 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

everyone (family and coworkers) asked why i downgraded from a Mercedes when i traded it in for a Lexus
Old 08-01-17 | 04:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Just about any brand can offer or exceed what some Lexus dealers are currently offering. That said, I took my 4Runner in for an emission test today at a split Lexus/Toyota dealer (one of the last ones). I relaxed in the Lexus area and they offered a few snacks and beverages and they offered premium loose leaf tea. Nothing was prepared for you. The other side where the Toyota is cafe is located they have an onsite chef who can prepare something for you while you wait, but for a fee. Just bottled water was available. The Lexus side seemed to be a carbon copy of what other Mercedes dealers in the area offer. But there is on Mercedes dealer that seems to pamper and offer even more. Lexus did kind of master the current service experience, but pretty much all the brands have caught up in offering amenities.
that depends on the particular dealership too, and none of the Canadian Lexus dealers can match the facilities of the US dealers in terms of pampering .......
Old 08-01-17 | 05:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I think if a person didn't know that much about cars, that Lexus is held in very high regard. And it's hard to change one's image. For example, BMW has in general a very valuable brand image. If they start putting loose steering in cars starting around 2012, then this becomes the standard, and the old steering seems "broken." imho Lexus today, is not as threatening to MB as it was in 1990, I mean top speed was an objective, that LS400 did 160 mph. Aerodynamics was a priority, even the 2006 LS430 is .26 cd without the air suspension. Some of the newer products if I'm not mistaken are .33? I think in 1990 Toyota Motor was on the offensive and said we're gonna match or beat. BMW accused Toyota of selling the LS below cost. They would not make the same accusation today.

Today, Lexus is just catering to the mainstream, and needs to sell and service. Nonetheless, the brand of Lexus is still way up there, and likely #1 for reliability as far as perception (this comes with a cost at the dealer)....my .02
Old 08-01-17 | 05:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
that depends on the particular dealership too, and none of the Canadian Lexus dealers can match the facilities of the US dealers in terms of pampering .......
I would agree that Lexus has customer service nailed, but they also nail the customers' wallets with 5k services (Toyota charges $76 for a state inspection with a coupon, BMW $68 with loaner). BMW, on the other hand, has poor customer service, but one doesn't spend any time at all in the dealership, because even if you have a 20 min. appt., you leave with a loaner car and come back at your leisure. But be sure to grab a designer water, soda, and pastry on your way out. I've had brand new loaners with < 100 miles that had dents, and it killed me, I don't want to be charged for it. Didn't notice because they were so **** bent on getting me out of the dealer with the loaner.

The way I see it is you want responsiveness, just like when you have a sick child and you upload pics to the web. Does the pediatrician give free advice (it's documented)? Do they call back? Do they ask you to come in when they deem necessary? We've been to both big names in our area, CHOP and the other one. Both were excellent (I find many things with kids to be such, it's a different kinder world). Honestly, we would want the same with our cars, if financially feasible....
Old 08-01-17 | 06:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I would agree that Lexus has customer service nailed, but they also nail the customers' wallets with 5k services (Toyota charges $76 for a state inspection with a coupon, BMW $68 with loaner). BMW, on the other hand, has poor customer service, but one doesn't spend any time at all in the dealership, because even if you have a 20 min. appt., you leave with a loaner car and come back at your leisure. But be sure to grab a designer water, soda, and pastry on your way out. I've had brand new loaners with < 100 miles that had dents, and it killed me, I don't want to be charged for it. Didn't notice because they were so **** bent on getting me out of the dealer with the loaner.
Current new BMW owners have no maintenance costs for the first 4 years. I am sure all of those costs are baked into the price of the car. I don't customers get a loaner. It is also a once a year visit compared to Lexus which is twice per year.
Old 08-01-17 | 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Perhaps not surprising, as, in most parts of Canada (Vancouver, where you live, may be an exception), Lexus shops don't have to satisfy the sheer number of owners they do in the U.S. Canada's total population, while I don't have exact numbers, is barely one-tenth that of the U.S.
Old 08-01-17 | 08:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Current new BMW owners have no maintenance costs for the first 4 years. I am sure all of those costs are baked into the price of the car. I don't customers get a loaner. It is also a once a year visit compared to Lexus which is twice per year.
I think it was beginning with the 2016 model year BMW reduced the included maintenance program to 3 years. You are correct, the cost is included in the price of the car. It's not free as sometimes referred to.
Old 08-01-17 | 08:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think it was beginning with the 2016 model year BMW reduced the included maintenance program to 3 years. You are correct, the cost is included in the price of the car. It's not free as sometimes referred to.
From what I've heard brakes are not included today, but they were on my '07. imho even these car cos. are subject to economic factors, which I why I believe some of the best quality cars were built 2004-2008'ish. If one looks at a particular model/generation, one can see the price going up from 2008 on, and features being removed....
Old 08-01-17 | 09:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
From what I've heard brakes are not included today, but they were on my '07. imho even these car cos. are subject to economic factors, which I why I believe some of the best quality cars were built 2004-2008'ish. If one looks at a particular model/generation, one can see the price going up from 2008 on, and features being removed....
I'd forgotten about that. I believe that wiper blades are no longer included either.
Old 08-01-17 | 09:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

People tend to forget that Mercedes Benz is not just a "luxury brand" in Europe. Mercedes is every day brand that appeals to all types of buyers in Europe.
mercedes in europe is still considered a cut above other brands, with bmw and audi regardless of what they sell. it still has a reputation of being better made, generally more powerful, more refined, etc. the fact that they offer models with lower end trims doesn't change this.
Old 08-01-17 | 11:24 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL and to Car Chat, BrokenCar, as a new poster.

To directly address your question, from my point of view, when it comes to rating upmarket and luxury-class vehicles, I myself don't care for the Tier-system at all, though it is obvious that the average Rolls or Bentley costs far more than most other vehicles in the luxury-class, with some ultra-high-level Mercedes products excepted. As far as I'm concerned, there are basically three classes of vehicles...entry-level/economy, mainstream/bread-and-butter, and luxury/upmarket....with the possible exception of Rolls/Bentley, I don't agree with separate Tier-ratings within the luxury-class. Notice I said vehicles themselves, rather than vehicle-brands. That's because a number of manufacturers, particularly Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, and Hyundai/Kia make a very wide range of vehicles spanning everything from bare entry-level (Fiesta, Spark, Rio/Accent) all way up to the Kia K900, which is clearly in the luxury-sedan class despite the Kia nameplate. Complicating things, though, with Kia and Hyundai, has been the new luxury-class Genesis nameplate.
this is not how the vast majority of consumers and the industry itself view the tiered system. when talking to another about tiered marques, you are absolutely not going to say, 'you know, i have a kia900, a solid tier 2 vehicle in spite of the rio et al., a tier 3 vehicle.' people just don't do that.

Last edited by davyjordi; 08-01-17 at 11:32 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-01-17 | 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

People tend to forget that Mercedes Benz is not just a "luxury brand" in Europe. Mercedes is every day brand that appeals to all types of buyers in Europe.
Yep......excellent point, Jill. We don't get them here in the U.S., but, in Europe, particularly in Germany, many taxicab-grade Mercedes products are sold that are basically people-movers without a lot of frills inside.
Old 08-01-17 | 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
this is not how the vast majority of consumers and the industry itself view the tiered system. when talking to another about tiered marques, you are absolutely not going to say, 'you know, i have a kia900, a solid tier 2 vehicle in spite of the rio et al., a tier 3 vehicle.' people just don't do that.

Well, that, in itself, as I see it, is part of the problem...too many people simply aren't giving this car the credit it deserves. I'm not trying to tell people how spend their money (that's their decision, of course, not mine). But too many people are living with their heads in the sand when it comes to at least going out and LOOKING at new vehicles. That seems to be one of the reasons that the Genesis G80 and G90 aren't selling.....besides, of course, them being sedans and not SUVs LOL.
Old 08-01-17 | 11:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that, in itself, as I see it, is part of the problem...too many people simply aren't giving this car the credit it deserves. I'm not trying to tell people how spend their money (that's their decision, of course, not mine). But too many people are living with their heads in the sand when it comes to at least going out and LOOKING at new vehicles. That seems to be one of the reasons that the Genesis G80 and G90 aren't selling.....besides, of course, them being sedans and not SUVs LOL.
I have a hard time thinking Hyundai/Genesis isn't happy with over 1300 G80 sales in July. That's more than double what the GS sold. The G90 has sold about 300 more copies this year than Lexus has sold the LS. I wouldn't say they aren't selling. I think they have a good start on a strong future.

Quick Reply: Lexus's brand value?