Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Gen Lexus ES Spy shots !

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

es outsold gs 10:1 last month.
There's a reason for that. Most Lexus buyers want to cruise, not bruise. Price, to some extent, may also be a factor.

As you probably know, I came very close to buying an ES myself, off the lot, before I decided on a Lacrosse.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-09-17 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 07:37 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just read a report that mentions the new Supra using BMW engines. No idea how valid that may be, but it says a lot about Toyota's new dynamic force engines: they're not tailored towards performance at all. Which leads back to my speculation that Toyota does indeed lack the knowledge to actually build a performance engine.

They need Yamaha or BMW to do it for them and even the old Yamaha ones currently in service are slow.

Originally Posted by sorptd
The new 2.5 has more torque 184 lb.-ft, 203 HP, up to 41 mpg highway. Those are pretty good specs for a base engine. If that is stone age, i dont know who offers a modern engine in that class?
Old 08-09-17, 07:59 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I just read a report that mentions the new Supra using BMW engines. No idea how valid that may be, but it says a lot about Toyota's new dynamic force engines: they're not tailored towards performance at all. Which leads back to my speculation that Toyota does indeed lack the knowledge to actually build a performance engine.

They need Yamaha or BMW to do it for them and even the old Yamaha ones currently in service are slow.
I'm not sure that's true. I believe there's only 1 dynamic force engine out there right now. Secondly, they do have a performance engine in the LS500 but they are not about it stuff it into a Toyota. Also, since this is a joint venture and uses a BMW platform, it will make sense to use a BMW engine as well since it will lower development costs. I dont think they really care about the Supra, otherwise they would have developed everything in house from the ground up.

I wouldnt consider Yamaha engines are considered slow. Just not as fast as others. Also, these current engines are built to be revved, like racing engines or motorcycle engines. So while they make not be very responsive in the low end, rev the nuts off of it like the 5L V8 and it will bring enjoyment. It seems with the new 2.5L, these philosophies changed where they prioritize low end power vs high end rev-ability.
Old 08-09-17, 08:08 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I think the new dynamic force engines are tailored towards efficiency. All of the press releases about them keeps mentioning "thermal efficiency," so take that however you want.

That's why all this speculation about 600 HP engines are BS.
Old 08-09-17, 10:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

So the 1LR-GUE must be a mistake
Old 08-09-17, 12:27 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well according to Wikipedia, that engine was codeveloped by Yamaha as well!

A BMW engine in the new Supra will say it all and puts all the pieces together. They just don't have the engineering power or resources OR choose not to develop a performance engine AND the dynamic force engines are ALL about thermal effectiveness.
Old 08-09-17, 12:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

An engine with this kind of thermal efficiency is awesome.

Thermal efficiency is the amount of work an engine can do based on the input (in this case, heat from burning fuel). Losing all of that heat without using it to make power is a waste.

When I was in college (mechanical engineering), the thermal efficiency of a gasoline engine was about 25%, with diesel around 40%, meaning the engine uses less than half of what it has available to it. To get gasoline engines up to 40%+ is a huge achievement.

That increased thermal efficiency can be used to make more power and/or better fuel economy.

To use the fact that an engine has increased thermal efficiency as evidence that an engine is not competitive or performance oriented makes no sense to me.

Last edited by JDR76; 08-09-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
An engine with this kind of thermal efficiency is awesome.

Thermal efficiency is the amount of work an engine can do based on the input (in this case, heat from burning fuel). Losing all of that heat without using it to make power is a waste.

When I was in college (mechanical engineering), the thermal efficiency of a gasoline engine was about 25%, with diesel around 40%, meaning the engine uses less than half of what it has available to it. To get gasoline engines up to 40%+ is a huge achievement.

That increased thermal efficiency can be used to make more power and/or better fuel economy.

To use the fact that an engine has increased thermal efficiency as evidence that an engine is not competitive or performance oriented is nonsense.
99% of the car buying public do not care what the thermal efficiency is.

All this talk by Toyota is nice....but give people what they really want....touchscreens and Apple Car Play
Old 08-09-17, 12:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Well according to Wikipedia, that engine was codeveloped by Yamaha as well!

A BMW engine in the new Supra will say it all and puts all the pieces together. They just don't have the engineering power or resources OR choose not to develop a performance engine AND the dynamic force engines are ALL about thermal effectiveness.
You didn't know?? Besides who better to partner with than Yamaha when trying to produce something that resonates with the soul. They even used resonance frequency to shatter champagne glasses from the engine sound. Impressive stuff. Yamaha has had a hand in a number of engines including the legendary Toyota 2000GT, a few Celicas, Volvo XC90 4.4L V8, Taurus SHO 3.0 V6 and 3.4L V8, and Noble M600.
Old 08-09-17, 02:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

The ES is an unique model with literally no real competitor.
However the GS should be left alone despite losing sales to its own ES.
This is because neither the ES nor the GS is great development costs for Toyota Motor Corp, because both ES and GS share platforms with mass production Toyotas in the Camry/Avalon, and the overseas Toyota Crown.

Historically, the 2005-12 3GS has "L Finesse" styling that boosted sales to over 33,000 units/year in the US back in 2005.
Back then, buyers complained of a cramped interior, a small trunk and a small trunk opening.
Thus the 2012-19 4GS countered by being taller and boxier to increase sales.
However, I suspect that the 4GS lost style, especially towards the rear, and on the dashboard, and with the advent of the new 2016-23 E Class and 2017-24 5 Series, the 4GS sales has taken an absolute beating this year.

Also note how Mercedes cleverly maintain their E Class sales by doing bigger and more major facelifts at the 3.5 year mark, whereas Lexus and everyone else traditionally do tiny minor facelifts.

Styling really sells...
Old 08-09-17, 06:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's a reason for that. Most Lexus buyers want to cruise, not bruise. Price, to some extent, may also be a factor.

As you probably know, I came very close to buying an ES myself, off the lot, before I decided on a Lacrosse.
I think price is the biggest factor, people just don't see the premium for the GS as worth it over the similar sized/equipped ES especially now that the GS has a 4cyl standard.
Old 08-09-17, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I think price is the biggest factor, people just don't see the premium for the GS as worth it over the similar sized/equipped ES especially now that the GS has a 4cyl standard.
Yes.....good point on the GS's standard 2.0T four. The less-expensive ES, at least on the gas model, actually beats it with a standard V6.
Old 08-09-17, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I'm not sure I'd agree wth that. IMO, among FWD competitors, the ES350 competes very closely with the Buick Lacrosse and Lincoln MKZ, and somewhat less so with the less-expensive Chevy Impala, Kia Cadenza, Toyota Avalon, and the now-discontinued Hyundai Azera. I included the Impala because the 2014 redesign completely transformed it from a rental-grade special into a truly outstanding full-size sedan. There are also a number of RWD/AWD competitors to the ES, but they tend to be more expensive.
Old 08-09-17, 07:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure I'd agree wth that. IMO, among FWD competitors, the ES350 competes very closely with the Buick Lacrosse and Lincoln MKZ, and somewhat less so with the less-expensive Chevy Impala, Kia Cadenza, Toyota Avalon, and the now-discontinued Hyundai Azera. I included the Impala because the 2014 redesign completely transformed it from a rental-grade special into a truly outstanding full-size sedan. There are also a number of RWD/AWD competitors to the ES, but they tend to be more expensive.
You're absolutely right Mike.
I was too focused on the three Germans being without a front MacPherson strut front drive based midsize luxury, I totally forgot about the locals.
Old 08-09-17, 08:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I kind of agree. The ES350 is in a sort of area by itself. I would like to say the Buick Lacrosse is a competitor but honestly, the LaCrosse is a real competitor to the Avalon which both share the same starting MSRP. The ES is far nicer inside that both the Avalon and Lacrosse. . The Avalon was always referred to as the Japanese Buick.

For the life of me, I still cannot believe Cadillac does not have a true ES competitor. It's almost like Lexus has been given a small segment to themselves.

Cadillac has a XT6 competitor for the RX.

Quick Reply: Next Gen Lexus ES Spy shots !