Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sewell tracking their loaner cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 12:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sewell tracking their loaner cars?

Had the A5 in for service over the weekend and got a loaner car Saturday~Monday - I noticed something plugged in the OBD port and examined it later - TMobile wifi acces port - I left it unplugged and asked about it when I returned the car this morning - it's used to track their cars.

thoughts?
Old 08-07-17, 12:48 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

One would think it could more secured than that. I had thought that rental car cos. have all that data, max mph, location, etc.....I don't care unless they are somehow live streaming to the web where I am, my face, etc. I mean in this day an age, any driver of a big rig is being watched down to what music he is playing how fast he is taking a curve, if he touched his cell phone non hands-free, etc., even though I don't like it, I would assume a rental car could do the same....

edit p.s. check it out
https://explore.t-mobile.com/t-mobile-sync-up-drive
p.p.s--$2/mo? What a no-brainer......

Last edited by Johnhav430; 08-07-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-07-17, 02:17 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
check it out
https://explore.t-mobile.com/t-mobile-sync-up-drive
p.p.s--$2/mo? What a no-brainer......
yep that's it....it's not small - I almost kicked it getting in/out of the car.

Old 08-07-17, 03:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The car is their property so I don't mind that they can track the car. As Johnhav430 mentioned, i would have an issue if it records you through video though.

For cars that have integrated telecommunications like Lexus Enform for example. If the car is RDR'd or has the sticker from finance in the windshield, you can track the car via SOS Safety Connect. It's a stolen vehicle locator, however a police report must be filed before Lexus will track the car for you.
Old 08-07-17, 08:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a "friend" who's family owns the good old scumbag "buy here/pay here" used car lot. I don't mean to stereotype, but his whole family is a bunch of Gypsies. Anyways, they've been using this type of technology, lo-jack, GPS tracking, for the past 20 years. Every car the finance(remember they, the dealer finances deadbeats with horrible credit) has a tracker in it. Oh you're a day late on your payment, that's too bad, we have extra keys for your car, we figure out where it is and take our property back. He told me they'd sell, then repossess, then resell the same car 3 or 4 times in the course of a couple of years.
Old 08-07-17, 09:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

It's a good idea. But does it only track where a car goes or how it's been driven? A huge amount of abuse is aimed at rentals and loaners. But the question is, what would the dealer say to the customer as he/she returns a car that has been driven in an unsatisfactory way? Or in other words, what is the consequence?
Old 08-08-17, 01:00 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow $2 a month? I might get it for my own car
Old 08-08-17, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's a good idea. But does it only track where a car goes or how it's been driven? A huge amount of abuse is aimed at rentals and loaners. But the question is, what would the dealer say to the customer as he/she returns a car that has been driven in an unsatisfactory way? Or in other words, what is the consequence?
"Mr. Jones, as explained, the reason for the charges of $1,659 is you exceeded 3500 rpm on 9 occasions, and the vehicle was taken up to 83 mph. That, and the pet hairs."

Actually, putting pets in loaners/rentals imho is some serious abuse and that should be tracked. Nothing like getting out of a rental/loaner and pet hair is all over your clothes. I love pets, just not the hair of strangers' pets!
Old 08-08-17, 06:03 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know it's a T-Mobile dongle, but it might also be tied with their insurance, covering a fleet of vehicles with tons of random drivers is ridiculously expensive.
Old 08-08-17, 06:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Just thought of something, anyone notice that with Enterprise (and they are the largest from what I understand), they still have the antiquated way of listing out where the vehicle is allowed to be driven. Usually, the assumption is in the rental state, then maybe 2 neighboring states if it's a metro area. Something like this would allow them to say, you were allowed to operate this vehicle in NY, NJ, and PA. You decided to go to CT, and MA, and had an accident. Therefore, you violated the contract and are liable for the full value of the vehicle. Now, your insurance co. pulls the contract, and concurs that you were in violation, and have no responsibility to you. The device clearly benefits the renting location, and possibly the renter if they are abducted, but that's about it...
Old 08-08-17, 07:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

What data does SyncUP DRIVE capture from my vehicle?
The device captures driver behavior information such as acceleration and braking, speed, and RPM. The device also reports vehicle location via GPS and can report on common vehicle issues called Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC). For more information, please refer to the Terms and Conditions at www.t-mobile.com/info/t-mobile-sync-up-drive-terms-and-conditions.

What do you do with my data?
The SyncUP DRIVE device and the SyncUP DRIVE app utilize Mojio’s platform for the transmission, interpretation and storage of your data. Through the app, you can control your data, who sees it, and how it is used. Your personally identifiable data will never be sold, traded or used in a way that violates our privacy policy. For more information, refer to the Terms and Conditions at www.t-mobile.com/info/t-mobile-sync-up-drive-terms-and-conditions and T-Mobile’s Privacy Policy at www.t-mobile.com/privacy
https://explore.t-mobile.com/t-mobil...k&aam=aam_uuid
Old 08-08-17, 11:21 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Eating, drinking, little children/babies, pets, and smoking seem to be the things that cause interior damage. The muscle car rentals get abuse late at night at intersections and red lights.