Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Please help recommend a car to lease for commute

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 10:32 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I assume that using the car for commuting, reliability would be very high on your list. Nothing sucks like going out to your car to go to work and it won't start, or the transmission won't shift, etc. Reliability alone would seem to eliminate the Volvo. XC90 results have been bad and the S90 uses much the same hardware.

For the list the OP quoted, I like the Honda Accord. Meets all but the ventilated seats. The new one due out soon will have all the safety stuff standard, but the high end versions of the current already have it. If a small trunk is OK, the hybrid really does get near 50 mpg.
Steve
Old 08-23-17, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Lots of great choices for vehicles, but most importantly make sure your commute and any other running around is going to be below the 12K lease requirement. Overage charges are expensive.
Leases come in many different mileage limits than just 12k.
Old 08-23-17, 11:22 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Leases come in many different mileage limits than just 12k.
True, but OP asked for a 12k lease, just a heads up to him or her
Old 08-23-17, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
True, but OP asked for a 12k lease, just a heads up to him or her
I would assume if he was asking for a 12k lease he only needs 12k miles
Old 08-24-17, 12:58 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for looking out for me
I have another car that I own (2015 Odyssey) that I can always drive when reaching the limit of the 12k and just use the lease for local drives

are the new volvos really that unreliable? if so, ill avoid them
i like the new honda interior and its implementation of android auto and carplay, but hate the exterior, especially that bald forehead on the accord...

I dont know if i can wait out the new camry
Audi A4 doesnt have auto braking until prestige level which starts at $51k
that is coming up there for a small car...
Old 08-25-17, 08:12 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
Audi A4 doesnt have auto braking until prestige level which starts at $51k
that is coming up there for a small car...
But as long as the lease payment could potentially come in within your budget, does it matter to you what the MSRP on the car is? It seems like there's not going to be a car that satisfies all of your requirements, so need to start prioritizing which of the parameters you're willing to be a little more flexible on?
Old 08-25-17, 12:35 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only the initial run of XC90 had problems, mostly with software. Its fine now.
Old 08-25-17, 01:15 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

reliability has to be one (at least within the 3 years of lease)
active safety features

it seems like we are still at the cusp of ground breaking safety technology trickling in, with only Audi (auto brake up to 53mph) and Volvo (autobrake up to 80mph I believe) offering true automated safety features
Old 08-25-17, 02:11 PM
nmlexus4gs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013-2014 Lexus GS 350
Old 08-26-17, 07:58 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

reliability has to be one (at least within the 3 years of lease)
active safety features

it seems like we are still at the cusp of ground breaking safety technology trickling in, with only Audi (auto brake up to 53mph) and Volvo (autobrake up to 80mph I believe) offering true automated safety features
This is incorrect. While yes, the Audi and Volvo operate with their more active semi-autonomous drive features up to those speeds (much more active lane centering), there are a good number of cars today that have "full-speed" dynamic cruise control systems that can bring the vehicle to a complete stop, sometimes they describe it as being able to do stop and go, and/or low speed follow. Is this what you're looking for as far as what you describe as "auto brake"?

A Honda Civic can do this, a new Subaru Impreza can do this as well (The Impreza can't hold you at the stop though, after about 3 seconds, it releases and starts idling forward again). You need to really go dig in some more research on what functionality you want if that's what you need. Not all systems from a manufacturer are equal, for example a Honda Pilot cannot bring a the vehicle to a complete stop.

Tesla is one of the more advanced with its Autopilot, but the leases are going to be pricier. But maybe you could pick up one of their CPO'ed cars. But you'd need to be 2015 model year and newer to have the initial level of autopilot hardware.
Old 08-26-17, 08:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

my jeep can slow or emergency brake from any speed as far as i can tell. at 'stop' it will beep and disengage radar cruise after a few seconds like many other vehicles. i put my foot on the brake and then when it's ok to go i release the brake, press resume on the wheel and off we go. i don't use the gas pedal that much.
Old 08-30-17, 02:56 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

stopping seems like common now, but restarting and moving back up to speed is where most are lacking

a fully loaded 2017 Volvo S90 T6 Momentum is coming in at $59k MSRP
I may end up only needing 10k/yr for the close commute
a dealer is offering $500 per month after taxes and such in California (9.25% tax where I am at)

is that a good deal?

this is going to be a company lease so CPO or any used cars are not possible, which is too bad because i really dont mind a used car provided it has good active safety technology
Old 08-30-17, 04:12 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

stopping seems like common now, but restarting and moving back up to speed is where most are lacking

a fully loaded 2017 Volvo S90 T6 Momentum is coming in at $59k MSRP
I may end up only needing 10k/yr for the close commute
a dealer is offering $500 per month after taxes and such in California (9.25% tax where I am at)

is that a good deal?

this is going to be a company lease so CPO or any used cars are not possible, which is too bad because i really dont mind a used car provided it has good active safety technology
Almost all of them (Volvo included) need you to hit resume or tap the gas pedal to restart acceleration if the full stop has been more than ~3 seconds. You still need to drive and pay attention. You need to determine the sales price of the car, residual (generally non negotiable), and money factor, to determine whether or not a lease is a good deal.
Old 08-30-17, 04:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Have any thought on the i3? EOL in 2018 so, get a supremely attractive lease special
Old 09-01-17, 05:55 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi all,

Im in need of a recommendation for a 3-yr lease, 12k miles per yr, 0 down
aiming to have the monthly below $500

here are some of my criteria:
1. sedans preferred, crossovers acceptable
2. decent MPG (above 20 in the city is preferred, and above 27 hwy)
3. lots of active safety features, including good adapter cruise or auto braking for stop-and-go fwy traffic
4. ventilated seats
5. good android auto implementation

It seems like a bit of a challenge but does such a vehicle exist?
I guess I was kind of vague on #3 but i've been looking at the volvo S90 lately
A good list; have you considered some of these:

2017 Genesis G80 (meets mpg, has all the safety features standard and meets your #5 requirement)
2017 Sonata Limited or Hybrid Limited (some good end of year deals right now with over $11k off MSRP because of new 2018 Sonata)
2018 Camry
2018 Accord (coming soon - I'm real curious and intrigued on the Hybrid lineup with >50mpg)

I'd personally seriously consider the 2016+ ES350/ES300h that has lane departure/adaptive cruise, though it won't meet your 5th requirement, there are some decent deals to be had (up to $9k off MSRP in some instances and with the Ultra Luxury package almost $10k off MSRP)

Quick Reply: Please help recommend a car to lease for commute