Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lots of millennials looking to burbs for homes and big suvs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17 | 01:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
It's all relative, isn't it? imho they are fortunate to have livelihoods that can support the taxes, seriously. Back in 2006, the low property taxes were a selling point on brand new homes for sale in Westfield, NJ. They were asking 1.6, yet at the time only had $18k taxes on a new construction. Of course that 18k number sailed long ago...btw my uncle taught me never pay to escrow, pay yourself, collect interest in the meantime...in my travels I had found some banks charge 1/8 more when the customer wants to pay themselves, but not all....
Yep. . Funny you mention Westfield, NJ, my wife's family lived in Cranford for a long time.

I have no issue with Escrows. Anyways Hardly any lender will let you pay your own taxes without very low LTV.
Old 08-31-17 | 03:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Yes taxes are a killer.

Looking at potentially moving to Long Island (North Shore) for the better schools compared to NYC as my daughter will be starting preK. Any decent houses are all at 20k or more per year.

Benefit is i will no longer have to pay NYC income tax on top of Federal, State, and NYC property tax. There is just no end to it......
I considered Long Island about 10 years ago, and I am very glad I didn't make the move. In the last few years the traffic got so horrendous, its sometimes backed up all the way out to the Hamptons.
Old 08-31-17 | 03:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I have friends/coworkers who in S Jersey pay around 15k in property taxes, and they quite modest homes (< 2000 sq. ft. split built in the 60's). The killer imho isn't so much the amount, but what you are getting, is it roads? Schools? Public services? What? Prolly helping the northern part of the state...lol

But you're spot on with the time factor, I messed that one up.
They don't have to pay NYC resident payroll tax, even if they work in NYC, so it evens outs.
Old 08-31-17 | 03:39 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Perhaps not in desirable locations to you.

Homeownership rate is ~ 65%. Once millennials become the largest group of homeowners, I think you'll be surprised to find it'll be ~ 65% lol.
Well, I certainly hope you're right. We'll see.
Old 08-31-17 | 03:47 PM
riredale
Instructor

Holy cow, I never realized property taxes could be so high.

Here in Oregon, wife and I are lucky to live in a million-dollar house, and our property tax is about $9,000 a year. A property-tax limitation was passed about 20 years ago, and part of the law was a limit of 3% annual increase. Oregon property values have risen a lot faster than that, so I guess we are getting a bargain.

State income tax, though, is about 10%. On everything. Including cap gains.
Old 08-31-17 | 03:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by riredale

Here in Oregon, wife and I are lucky to live in a million-dollar house, and our property tax is about $9,000 a year. A property-tax limitation was passed about 20 years ago, and part of the law was a limit of 3% annual increase. Oregon property values have risen a lot faster than that, so I guess we are getting a bargain.

I didn't even know they had million dollar houses in Oregon.
Old 08-31-17 | 05:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I need to see a picture of this Oregon million dollar house. I bet its incredible! lol
Old 08-31-17 | 05:34 PM
Hoovey689

Maybe Lake Oswego, OR. It's a pretty affluent suburb just south of Portland. Klay Thompson and Kevin Love both lived there and played Little League together growing up.
Old 09-01-17 | 07:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Lots of high tech jobs in Portland and tons of million dollar homes there. Such a beautiful place.
Old 09-01-17 | 07:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
They don't have to pay NYC resident payroll tax, even if they work in NYC, so it evens outs.
A person living in NJ, and working in NYC, basically pays the sum of NJ income tax....whatever is paid to NYS is credited, and NJ > NYS....

Interesting to see homes that straddle the Queens/LI border, NYC is much less expensive from what I was told....
Old 09-01-17 | 07:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

On cap gains that is steep at the state level......I think you are wise to say you are lucky (the context is fortunate)....a million dollars is a million dollars, it still has to be amortized and whoever lives there must be able to make the payment. Even if it is a tiny house in Daly City, CA, it's still a million dollars, and obviously not everyone can afford it.....

You guys have mandatory full serve, right? When will it be abolished, I hate attendants doing it (NJ), and it slows everything down....
Old 09-01-17 | 08:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

A person living in NJ, and working in NYC, basically pays the sum of NJ income tax....whatever is paid to NYS is credited, and NJ > NYS....

Interesting to see homes that straddle the Queens/LI border, NYC is much less expensive from what I was told....
NYC has additional income tax on top of NYS if you live in NYC.
NJ residents dont have to pay this i think. I know if you live in Long Island but work in NYC - you dont pay any NYC income tax.

The homes in good areas of Queens are very expensive compared to LI especially if you compare by property size.
There are attached homes/row houses that are much cheaper though or ones in "worse" neighborhoods.
Old 09-01-17 | 01:58 PM
riredale
Instructor

Oregon actually has a wide variety of homes, and quite a few executives at places like Intel and Nike can afford some pretty fancy homes. I've attached a photo of our home, a pretty simple affair. I have absolutely no doubt that one day when we sell the new owner will have bulldozers on the premises within the first few weeks in preparation for a fancy new home--the land is worth far more than the old house. Homes on the lake can easily run $5mil+. That's daughter and her dog ("Daisy from Kentucky") on the dock.

The neighborhood has changed markedly in the 25 years we've been here. LOTS of young professionals with Beemers, Mercedes, and Lexi. Until buying our new/old 2010 RX450h last October I'd never noticed, but it seems that every 5th car is an RX.

No sales tax in Oregon but income tax is ~10% and they tax cap gains at the rate, too. Lovely summers, dreary grey drizzly winters.

Yes, Oregon is one of two states that mandates full-service-only gasoline stations. Some locals actually get angry if you challenge the idea. I'm resigned to the fact that it probably adds a nickel to each gallon of gas. There are bumper stickers that read "Keep Portland Weird" and they are dead serious.

EDIT: Given the gigantic losses taking place in the Houston area, I woke up this morning and thought my posting of our home (comfortable, but by no means fancy) here to be inappropriate, so I took the photo down. Anyway, sending thoughts and prayers to those poor folks. Wife has a sister living in that area, and we haven't heard back from her yet.

Last edited by riredale; 03-05-18 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-01-17 | 04:40 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Nice house! I need to get back on a lake somewhere!
Old 03-05-18 | 08:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Very good article from Huffington post.

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/a...r-millennials/

Quick Reply: lots of millennials looking to burbs for homes and big suvs