Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lots of millennials looking to burbs for homes and big suvs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18 | 09:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Very good long article from Huffington post.
fify thanks for sharing though, quite interesting (could have done without the stupid graphics - i guess that's their pandering to keep young people 'engaged'

there's still opportunities, but 'society' programs young people (in all generations) to do certain things, and for millennials, they've been programmed to go into vast debt in college without a clear idea of how they will EVER be able to pay it back, combined with some idea they need to be totally inclusive, compassionate, volunteer for all kinds of things, be endlessly active on social media, exercise a lot, pay for botox or risk looking 'old', have the latest tech or risk looking 'out of touch', and on and on, which is not only exhausting, it's draining... a young person must get a grip on their own lives, what they want to do, not be pulled by convention of the 'herd' and make something happen because sure as heck no one else is going to help them.
Old 03-05-18 | 11:05 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

No kidding that is absolutely the worst-presented article I've ever seen, and was a real deterrent to actually finishing it. Definitely has some good content, but if they're trying to break out of the "millenials are lazy" stereotype, this isn't how to do it:

He sometimes considers getting a master’s, but that would mean walking away from his salary and benefits for two years and taking on another five digits of debt—just to snag an entry-level position, at the age of 30, that would pay less than he makes driving a bus. At his current job, he’ll be able to move out in six months. And pay off his student loans in 20 years.
Working and going to school are not mutually exclusive activities. Millions of people do both. And since the guy in this example is single with no kids, he has more free time than most who do. I'll be finishing my MBA program next month--which I started exactly two years ago this week--while working 60+ hours a week, raising a family, volunteering as a coach and on a local athletic association board, taking my son to 6-8 activities a week, walking the dog, etc. etc. In my copious free time I roast my own coffee and brew my own beer. It's totally doable, you just have to be willing to prioritize and put in the effort--this will be my third degree earned while working full-time, and my wife has also done the same. The above sounds very much like trying to pass off "not willing to put in the time" as "impossible".

It's one thing to determine that the cost of a degree won't be recouped in a reasonable amount of time. It's another thing entirely to declare that it's unattainable because one has a job. The latter is simple "poor me" victimhood. You can see this all over the article, with phrases like "fixing what has been done to us". The section on housing prices within major cities is more of the same. Lots of people have to commute to work. Being unwilling to do so and complaining about how expensive apartments are in Manhattan (or Chicago, or wherever) smacks of entitlement.

Again, lots of good, valid points in the article about things that are different/more challenging than previous generations. But the awfulness of the presentation forces me to find faults.
Old 03-05-18 | 11:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Working through my second masters while working full time here. That said, I have a good paying FT job, a supportive boss, and flexible working hours. I have no idea how they book schedules for bus drivers, but it's a lot easier for me to go to class because I have a consistent schedule
Old 03-05-18 | 11:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

My schedule is so overloaded and semi-unpredictable that it would be difficult or impossible to physically go somewhere at a fixed time for ~4hrs per week. So I do mine online. When I worked more regular hours and didn't have a family, I went to on-campus classes for my Bachelors. I also have no idea what bus driver schedules look like either. But it doesn't really matter.
Old 03-05-18 | 11:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
No kidding that is absolutely the worst-presented article I've ever seen, and was a real deterrent to actually finishing it. Definitely has some good content, but if they're trying to break out of the "millenials are lazy" stereotype, this isn't how to do it:

Working and going to school are not mutually exclusive activities. Millions of people do both. And since the guy in this example is single with no kids, he has more free time than most who do. I'll be finishing my MBA program next month--which I started exactly two years ago this week--while working 60+ hours a week, raising a family, volunteering as a coach and on a local athletic association board, taking my son to 6-8 activities a week, walking the dog, etc. etc. In my copious free time I roast my own coffee and brew my own beer. It's totally doable, you just have to be willing to prioritize and put in the effort--this will be my third degree earned while working full-time, and my wife has also done the same. The above sounds very much like trying to pass off "not willing to put in the time" as "impossible".

It's one thing to determine that the cost of a degree won't be recouped in a reasonable amount of time. It's another thing entirely to declare that it's unattainable because one has a job. The latter is simple "poor me" victimhood. You can see this all over the article, with phrases like "fixing what has been done to us". The section on housing prices within major cities is more of the same. Lots of people have to commute to work. Being unwilling to do so and complaining about how expensive apartments are in Manhattan (or Chicago, or wherever) smacks of entitlement.

Again, lots of good, valid points in the article about things that are different/more challenging than previous generations. But the awfulness of the presentation forces me to find faults.
I'm probably a bit older, as when I was a young buck, tuition reimbursement was 100% and unlimited. The only question was for IRS purposes, if your mgr signed off, you are reimbursed without any tax consequences. I remember the paperwork stating that an electrical eng's primary role is to design circuits, therefore, coursework in physics, chemistry, blah blah blah tend to be covered aka non taxable. An MBA, for example, is not related to an eng's primary role, therefore taxable through income. What a joke, MBAs were what most of us were studying for, and it was tax free. Is there such a need today? Those in school believe so. But at any rate, it's a foundation that can be useful in everyday life. I was also hired 4 mos. before the defined benefit plan was pulled, on my last job (it's not worth that much, but enough such that the prev employer wanted to buy me out 3 yrs. ago--no way, I learned the time value of money long ago and it's < $5k/mo. so no worries if the firm goes out of business by the time I'm retired). I never really considered the cost of education, figured it's necessary. Law degrees were harder to get through tuition reimbursement, but it was one of those who you know deals. Needed special sign-off.

edit It's amazing to me how the misconception permeates that an elite education is expensive, when in reality, it's acceptance that is. Cost is cheap. Cheaper than a state university. The general rule is ~ 10% of income, up to $250k. The line has to be drawn somewhere, so if your income is > $250k, it's understandable that you no longer pay 10%. $25k/yr. for an elite college, that's cheap.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-05-18 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-05-18 | 01:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I'll be finishing my MBA program next month--which I started exactly two years ago this week--while working 60+ hours a week, raising a family, volunteering as a coach and on a local athletic association board, taking my son to 6-8 activities a week, walking the dog, etc. etc. In my copious free time I roast my own coffee and brew my own beer.
don't sleep much then.
Old 03-05-18 | 02:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I actually though the presentation was very nice, and awesome web design skills. I used to know a little bit of html back in the days (when people made personal web sites on geocities, etc), so I was impressed how far web design has gone.