Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lots of millennials looking to burbs for homes and big suvs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17 | 06:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Fizz and tt, you say 'foreigners' so do you mean people who don't live in the u.s. building/buying investments, or people emigrating to the u.s.?
Old 08-27-17 | 07:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
quite interesting.
Just curious. This article appears to be written after something was published by Ford. Ford did the study. This appears to be not an independent study.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...t-to-suvs.html

It is no surprise that the new generation will be looking at the suburbs as that is where new homes are built and also where they are more affordable. I do question if people will be buying the big body on frame SUVs like Ford seems to think.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-27-17 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-27-17 | 10:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

what i find amusing is all the 'trendsetters' think young people will want to live in noisy, crime-ridden, cramped city centers and take the noisy, dirty, cramped subway or buses, or uber, because they will be 'convenient' to work, shopping, the "arts", and will lower their carbon footprints. what this report shows is there's a giant chunk of young adults saying screw that, i want quiet, safe, spacious suburbs with back yard barbuques, well maintained community pools, like-minded young families, and a big ol' vehicle we can all go to places in when we want, and we'll stream the "arts" on devices and big screen tv's.

the do gooders are always quick to tell everyone how they "should" live, but thankfully a still somewhat free market will allow people to decide.
Old 08-27-17 | 10:52 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Fizz and tt, you say 'foreigners' so do you mean people who don't live in the u.s. building/buying investments, or people emigrating to the u.s.?
A lot of times it's rich people from places like China buying up houses so their kids can attend schools in the region. I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley in CA and house prices and McMansions have gone way up in the last 10-15 years. In this case, wealthy Chinese nationals are buying existing homes, tearing them down, and building McMansions. Then their kids move in for either high school (good school district) or for when they eventually go to college.
Old 08-27-17 | 11:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. And think about how baby boomers lived in the 60s, were they always destined to live out of VW busses driving from music festival to music festival?
Old 08-27-17 | 11:10 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

what i find amusing is all the 'trendsetters' think young people will want to live in noisy, crime-ridden, cramped city centers and take the noisy, dirty, cramped subway or buses, or uber, because they will be 'convenient' to work, shopping, the "arts", and will lower their carbon footprints. what this report shows is there's a giant chunk of young adults saying screw that, i want quiet, safe, spacious suburbs with back yard barbuques, well maintained community pools, like-minded young families, and a big ol' vehicle we can all go to places in when we want, and we'll stream the "arts" on devices and big screen tv's.

the do gooders are always quick to tell everyone how they "should" live, but thankfully a still somewhat free market will allow people to decide.
I have also seen several articles and stories trying to push that younger middle class Gen X and Millennials are or want to move back into and live in cities for a couple years which does not seem to have much basis in reality. They claim these Gen X'ers and Millenial's want to move into cities from the suburbs for "arts", nightlife, entertainment, public transportation, more cultural diversity, lower "carbon footprint", not wanting to have to deal with owning a car, mowing lawn, owning house etc yet I have never heard of a single person who actually did this. The people I know have all moved to the suburbs whether they lived in the cities or always lived in the suburbs, actually many have moved even further away from cities in more rural areas because they can't stand the traffic, crime, high housing costs, taxes, overcrowding. The people I know that are stuck in cities because of work, no car yet, unable to qualify for a mortgage, not enough money, etc want to get out of cities and to the suburbs as soon as they can. These articles that were trying to say and pushing Gen X'ers and Millenials were moving back to cities just sounds more like what the writer wants to be happening or pushing a social or political agenda then what was or is actually happening.

I don't think there is going to be a trend in many buying huge truck based SUV's though like there was in the 90's and early 2000's. though. Just because people move to the suburbs does not mean they automatically want a big SUV.
Old 08-27-17 | 11:17 AM
riredale
Instructor

First of all, what on earth is a "chrome fence?" Never seen one, but it sounds like a pain to keep clean.

I grew up in Arcadia CA (San Gabriel valley also) in the late 50s. I am amazed when I pass through my old neighborhood--stately old ranch-style houses on large lots have been replaced by gigantic multi-story mansions with tile roofs, white stucco walls and lots of leaded glass. Not my style, but then who am I to judge?

Right now I am semi-retired and feel extremely lucky to be living in an upscale suburb near Portland Oregon. Friendly neighbors, beautiful summer weather (winters are a bummer, though) and a lovely 2010 RX out in the driveway. And it all just sort of happened over time. I hope Millenials have the same good fortune.
Old 08-27-17 | 11:50 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

At the end of the day, trying to stereotype a generation in any fashion is just a bad idea. I'm 30 so I'm an older millennial. I've been with my (now) wife for 13 years and I'd love to live in the city, but she likes life in the burbs, our jobs are in the burbs, and we're raising 2 kids. As much as I may selfishly love the idea of living in NYC or Philadelphia, I'm doing what's best for my family and that consists a new home that we're currently in the process of having built and either a Q7 or Odyssey shortly thereafter depending on whether we want to splurge or get something practical for the kids to destroy.

Of my group of friends, I have folks that are like me (married w/ kids in the burbs), others are married/engaged with or without kids and live in or near a major city, and a healthy chunk live LA/NYC/SF/Austin/Seattle/Boston etc. and have no interest in settling down because they love that life. Are there some that would like to be in one of the other situations? I'm sure there are, but making the argument that everyone in a generation wants a single thing is asinine regardless of what argument you're trying to make.
Old 08-27-17 | 12:49 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Look, more generational stereotypes (kids today are lazy, entitled moochers!).

Change "millennials" to "snake people":
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...igmlf?hl=en-US

I'm 34, and have brothers 5 years older than me, so I'm technically not a millennial but am very close. However, everyone younger than me *is* a millennial, so I have a bit of experience with them.

I find them to be generally much more cultured and socially aware than their elders due to the evils of technology and social media. They feel much less isolated in the town they grew up in, and part of a larger national or global community. I also don't just deal with US citizens, but being in Houston (most diverse city in America) and a current attendee to Texas A&M (a national top 20 research university, says the National Science Foundation) as a graduate student, I have also met many foreign millennials as well. These students come in much more normalized to America than ever before due to technology.

Much of what is complained about millennials is done by those who have poor experience with the best offerings of the generation, instead basing it upon their local, visible, yet underachieving, convenient example. I find boomers, in general, to have a grand sense of self and self-entitlement because of what they feel they've "earned" by showing up to work for 30 years and vesting in a pension. Meanwhile, they have little desire to adapt to disruption caused by technology, and many are not interested in assisting younger individuals in bringing forward technological change. Many are rent-seeking in their employment, fearful of being made redundant by someone with less than 5 years of experience with a strong imagination and robust computer skills. As an engineer myself, I've seen work processes that take days of time reduced to a button-push and a coffee break.

Of course, the above doesn't apply to everyone. It's a stereotype. (Do you take exception?) Boomers need to bring their wisdom and mentor the younger generation while enabling their revolution in the reduction of inefficiency. There is no choice in the matter; the creative destruction of capitalism will ensure that those who do not succeed in this will find themselves presently unemployed.

The mortgage bubble has caused a rough start for the entire generation as 1) older workers didn't retire as they had planned, 2) real wages stagnated, 3) low interest rates have provided no growth in savings (low wealth and short-term liquidity necessitates keeping money in things such as money market funds, which have all yielded <1% for almost a decade), 4) real estate prices have surged upwards and affordability (judged by percent of homes under $200k on the market) has dropped. Sure, bad examples exist... but bad examples exist in every generation.

As they can afford to, it's no surprise that people want safety and stability for their families (suburbs, house, car).
Old 08-27-17 | 01:09 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

I really think it's a life stage thing. My wife and I both would have (but for various reasons--mostly $$$--didn't) lived in the city when we were in our 20s. The marriage/kids thing changes the equation completely, and we're very happy in our large suburban home now. But once the robin flies the nest (12-15 years from now), we both want to sell the big house and move into a condo downtown.
Old 08-27-17 | 01:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 27, so I'm definitely a millennial.

I eagerly rushed to the DMV on my 16th birthday (holy ****, it's been over a decade now . )

I moved out at 18.

I graduated with a degree in Accounting. I financed my education with scholarships. My parents didn't pay for it.

I'm working a comfortable middle class job, happily living and working in the suburbs of Las Vegas. I am looking to hopefully find a wife and raise some kids in the next few years.

That's certainly not the stereotype that's usually perpetuated about millennials. I was even a Republican up until last year.
Old 08-27-17 | 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infra
I'm 34, and have brothers 5 years older than me, so I'm technically not a millennial but am very close.
It depends on who you ask. I'm 36 and by many classifications I'm a millennial, 1981-1983 is the age range they start depending on the source.
Old 08-27-17 | 02:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

There are different types of millennials, and vast majority probably desire to have a normal life, career and family - and for a family a large house in the suburbs is very desirable, and a car is an absolute necessity.

Of course there is also a good share of gender puzzled trustfund kidults with useless art degrees that immigrate to major cities from flyoverstates. These androgynous tryhards have unlimited leisure time and not a worry in the world. They are happy to live in a cramped apartment paid for by their parents until they are well over 35, and never start a family of their own.
Old 08-27-17 | 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
There are different types of millennials, and vast majority probably desire to have a normal life, career and family - and for a family a large house in the suburbs is very desirable, and a car is an absolute necessity.

Of course there is also a good share of gender puzzled trustfund kidults with useless art degrees that immigrate to major cities from flyoverstates. These androgynous tryhards have unlimited leisure time and not a worry in the world. They are happy to live in a cramped apartment paid for by their parents until they are well over 35, and never start a family of their own.
Just as has been the case in every generation.
Old 08-27-17 | 02:21 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by riredale
First of all, what on earth is a "chrome fence?" Never seen one, but it sounds like a pain to keep clean.

I grew up in Arcadia CA (San Gabriel valley also) in the late 50s. I am amazed when I pass through my old neighborhood--stately old ranch-style houses on large lots have been replaced by gigantic multi-story mansions with tile roofs, white stucco walls and lots of leaded glass. Not my style, but then who am I to judge?

Right now I am semi-retired and feel extremely lucky to be living in an upscale suburb near Portland Oregon. Friendly neighbors, beautiful summer weather (winters are a bummer, though) and a lovely 2010 RX out in the driveway. And it all just sort of happened over time. I hope Millenials have the same good fortune.

Quick Reply: lots of millennials looking to burbs for homes and big suvs