Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Compact Chevy Montana Pickup Coming?...GM files for the patent.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 01:45 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, we do, too, but not necessarily of that type....one of GM's best-sellers is the small-Ute Buick Encore. Unfortunately, GM probably won't be importing any more Holden products into the U.S. after the current Chevy SS expires, so that will nullify any chance of a rebadged Maloo ever coming here as a sport truck.
GM can't import any more Holden products, because Holden as an automobile manufacturer will cease to exist next year. They will still exist as a brand, most likely selling predominantly rebadged Opels. No more Commodore. No more Ute/Maloo. All of them are going away, at least in anything resembling the form they exist in now. Even the SS (based on the Commodore) will be discontinued, because there will be no factory to produce it.
Old 08-27-17, 02:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I like it when a manufacturer takes a risk and goes outside th box and tries a new/different model. If it doesn't work move on and if it does, and consumers buy them, good for them.
Old 08-27-17, 02:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
GM can't import any more Holden products, because Holden as an automobile manufacturer will cease to exist next year. They will still exist as a brand, most likely selling predominantly rebadged Opels. No more Commodore. No more Ute/Maloo. All of them are going away, at least in anything resembling the form they exist in now. Even the SS (based on the Commodore) will be discontinued, because there will be no factory to produce it.

Yes, that's a shame, because Holden made some good products. Here in the U.S., they gave us the Pontiac GTO, G8, G8 GT, and Chevy SS. They were not cheaply-made, either, but, in general, used good materials. None of them, though, have been good sellers in the American market.
Old 08-27-17, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I like it when a manufacturer takes a risk and goes outside th box and tries a new/different model. If it doesn't work move on and if it does, and consumers buy them, good for them.
I'd say, I'm my lifetime, the Plymouth Prowler (and its matching trailer) was probably the most outlandish example of thinking outside the box. Here was a car that DEFINITELY turned heads wherever it went.

Old 08-27-17, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to thread-topic, it will be interesting to see if we get a GMC version of the Montana...though I wouldn't bet on it, seeing that GMC is a more upscale division. They never had an upscale version of the Chevy Trax, though Buick already has that covered with the Encore.
Old 08-27-17, 06:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
GM no longer owns Opel and Vauxhall, so unless Holden is selling (or about to sell) the new Opel Insignia (as Buick in North America will sell as the Regal), that will likely continue on a contract basis with the PSA Group; otherwise I believe that rebadged Opels in Australia are no more, now that the sale of GM Europe to France's PSA Group is complete.

I believe that Holden will be selling rebadged GM-Daewoo Chevrolets assembled in Thailand and/or South Korea, or rebadged Chinese Buicks.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I believe that GM and Hyundai must see a market for car-based pickup trucks in the USA (and Canada, perhaps), despite what we here on Car Chat may believe, otherwise they would not be introducing this type of product to the market. It would seem logical: First came the car-based utility vehicle (truck wagon), now comes the car-based utility vehicle with an open bed (pickup truck).
Old 08-27-17, 09:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
All these silly car-like, out-of-country attempts have failed in the past, and this one no-doubt will too. Its as bad and no different than the failed Subaru Brat. It needs to be a traditional truck, as that's what American buyers and gardeners on a budget have proven to want. (The Ridgeline sells in very limited numbers). I'm reminded of all those failed Bob Lutz toys that no one bought and helped ruin the company.
The best solution would have been to create a Colorado that was smaller. It is too large and too close in size and price to the base Silverado (Another GM mistake). Overweight America wants full size trucks. Economical America wants 1998-sized mini trucks.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss stuff like the old 1970's/80's Toyota Hilux, Nissan Hardbody, Mazda B2200(way better truck than the Mazda badged Ford Ranger that replaced it), Izusu P'up, the little mini-trucks sold like gangbusters in the 70's/80's/90's.

Those little mini-trucks were unlike anything the Big 3 were buidling(yes I know the Chevy Luv was a rebadged Izuzu, Ford Courier was a rebadged Mazda). It forced GM, Ford, and Dodge to innovate and build smaller trucks, thus we got the S-10, Ranger, and Dakota. Problem was the big 3 figured out they could build full size trucks, through sheer economies of scale, for just a few thousand dollars more than compact trucks. Margins weren't nearly as good on compact trucks, so engineering dollars went to full sized trucks, since you could obviously charge $70,000 on an F150 Platnium crew cab, which might have $10,000 more worth of parts vs a $30,000 F150 XL work truck crew cab.

So yes, little weird quirky trucks have totally upended the market before. But we aren't in a huge economic maliase anymore, big trucks get 20mpg instead of 10mpg, fuel is cheap, incomes are up, poor people drive Corollas and Honda Fits, pickup trucks are status symbols to show off your wealth now days. Damn how times have changed since 1980 lol.

Seriously though, this little midget Chevy truck would sell if they price it cheap enough and make it look butch. Right now it looks like a Pokemon truck, not like a real truck. Price, I'm talking average transaction price of $16-18k.
Old 08-27-17, 10:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss stuff like the old 1970's/80's Toyota Hilux, Nissan Hardbody, Mazda B2200(way better truck than the Mazda badged Ford Ranger that replaced it), Izusu P'up, the little mini-trucks sold like gangbusters in the 70's/80's/90's.

Those little mini-trucks were unlike anything the Big 3 were buidling(yes I know the Chevy Luv was a rebadged Izuzu, Ford Courier was a rebadged Mazda). It forced GM, Ford, and Dodge to innovate and build smaller trucks, thus we got the S-10, Ranger, and Dakota. Problem was the big 3 figured out they could build full size trucks, through sheer economies of scale, for just a few thousand dollars more than compact trucks. Margins weren't nearly as good on compact trucks, so engineering dollars went to full sized trucks, since you could obviously charge $70,000 on an F150 Platnium crew cab, which might have $10,000 more worth of parts vs a $30,000 F150 XL work truck crew cab.

So yes, little weird quirky trucks have totally upended the market before. But we aren't in a huge economic maliase anymore, big trucks get 20mpg instead of 10mpg, fuel is cheap, incomes are up, poor people drive Corollas and Honda Fits, pickup trucks are status symbols to show off your wealth now days. Damn how times have changed since 1980 lol.

Seriously though, this little midget Chevy truck would sell if they price it cheap enough and make it look butch. Right now it looks like a Pokemon truck, not like a real truck. Price, I'm talking average transaction price of $16-18k.
Yes, the vehicles you listed above were butch trucks, not cars. They sold great and worked because they were shrunken down, affordable, economical, yet built tough to handle work and loads. A smaller than Colorado pick-up TRUCK would be very appealing today. You still see a mass of older, smaller Tacomas, Frontiers, Rangers, and Mazda TRUCKS in hard service today.
Old 08-28-17, 05:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the vehicles you listed above were butch trucks, not cars. They sold great and worked because they were shrunken down, affordable, economical, yet built tough to handle work and loads. A smaller than Colorado pick-up TRUCK would be very appealing today. You still see a mass of older, smaller Tacomas, Frontiers, Rangers, and Mazda TRUCKS in hard service today.
The Nissan Frontier, a true BOF truck, is still available, brand-new, in the American market.
Old 08-28-17, 07:08 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Nissan Frontier, a true BOF truck, is still available, brand-new, in the American market.
Yes it is, but It's not that much smaller than the Colorado...

I think the Montana/Tornado could have success here, it would have to be priced more like an entry level car, so sub $20,000 ideally closer to $15,000, be fuel efficient, think 25 MPG city at least, and the low to the ground ride/load height would be great for the landscapers,etc that are driving around the older, low ride height tacoma's etc. The payload capabilities of the Montana/Tornado are actually pretty decent, at over 1,600 pounds. Could easily handle lawnmowers, bikes, surfboards, and even dirt bikes and motorcycles. Easily handle most people's needs for Home Depot/Costco runs and the occasional sofa/furniture need. All the Terminix/Orkin guys could get by with something like this as well.
Old 08-28-17, 10:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes. But it is severely out-dated and overdue for a redesign. Missed opportunity for Nissan.
Old 08-30-17, 12:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes. But it is severely out-dated and overdue for a redesign. Missed opportunity for Nissan.
The plus is the Frontier is the cheapest new truck you can currently buy. It undercuts the Tacoma by several thousand dollars.