Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's Next for Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 07:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Since I don't follow the co., what is the equivalent of say a 2005 TL? Because back in the day, they were nice and my cousin had a 6-spd manual with clutch. Also, I remember Integras which were highly regarded. My buddy's wife had a RL and it was a total disaster, the worst car he says they have ever had. My uncle has a 2007 and the dealer could not figure out why his battery would be dead every 2 days--the dealer. An indie found it.

When I see Acuras on the road today, they don't strike as being high quality, nor do Infinitis (looked at one up close that was on display at the mall, looked really cheap). I think I can objectively say they don't have a really strong image at this point, maybe they should just keep the NSX (as a trophy car for Honda Motor) and nix all the other models?
Old 08-29-17, 07:17 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Personally I don't think Acura can continue with their existing sedans. The Honda sedans have migrated to new platforms so it makes little sense from a manufacturing standpoint to continue to make the old platforms for just the low volume ILX and TLX. This platform change creates an opportunity for Acura to go in new directions. Honda's new engine focus seems to be on turbos with smaller displacements and the new platform for the Civic has put it back at the top of the compact field. If they follow through with Acura, it could be good news for enthusiasts. The V-6 is gone from the Accord so what happens to the Pilot, Ridgeline, RDX, and MDX. It looks to me like a place for a smaller turbo V-6 much like the Infiniti 3 liter engine.

For the RLX, it needs to be all new and lots better. A stretch of the new Accord platform, a 400 hp turbo V-6, and standard SH-AWD for starters.
Steve
Old 08-29-17, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not sure I follow that logic. If I read correctly, you are saying Acura should forget about their sedans because SUV's are hot right now? Do we see any other manufacturer doing that? (Heck no.) Market trends go up and down, but no one is letting their sedans fall by the wayside. It is a huge and highly competive market.. Acuras big issues are not with their SUV's (which sell well). The problem is with their sedans. Acura has existing cars that need repositioning or updating immediately. It is essential they get that right and align their offerings with the more successful brands.
I agree. The issue with Acura is not their cross overs. They need a better plan for their current car line up. Although I don't believe they need to follow what Lexus is doing, they really need one car platform that can serve multiple price points.
Old 08-29-17, 10:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
. And Lacrosse sedan sales are way down this year. (though, of course, I ordered a new Lacrosse myself, and it arrived last night. It's raining today, so I won't actually pick it up until tomorrow...I'll do a separate thread on that when I get it home)
Its always so awesome when one gets a new car. Looking forward to reading about it. When I got my last Toyota, the called and asked me to come in on Friday the 13th to pick it up. I said, no chance. I waited till the 14th, one extra day. I can understand why do you would not want to pick it up on a rainy day.
Old 08-29-17, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Its always so awesome when one gets a new car. Looking forward to reading about it. When I got my last Toyota, the called and asked me to come in on Friday the 13th to pick it up. I said, no chance. I waited till the 14th, one extra day. I can understand why do you would not want to pick it up on a rainy day.
Rainy days are also not good days to do a pre-delivery check-out, for two reasons. First, they can hide problems in the paint job, and, second, the swishing noises you get from the tires and spray in the wheel-wells can mask the effectiveness of the normal sound-insulation (the V6 Lacrosse, of course, has a reputation for good sound-insulation).
Old 08-29-17, 11:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Personally I don't think Acura can continue with their existing sedans. The Honda sedans have migrated to new platforms so it makes little sense from a manufacturing standpoint to continue to make the old platforms for just the low volume ILX and TLX. This platform change creates an opportunity for Acura to go in new directions. Honda's new engine focus seems to be on turbos with smaller displacements and the new platform for the Civic has put it back at the top of the compact field. If they follow through with Acura, it could be good news for enthusiasts. The V-6 is gone from the Accord so what happens to the Pilot, Ridgeline, RDX, and MDX. It looks to me like a place for a smaller turbo V-6 much like the Infiniti 3 liter engine.

For the RLX, it needs to be all new and lots better. A stretch of the new Accord platform, a 400 hp turbo V-6, and standard SH-AWD for starters.
Steve
It will be interesting to see what Acura does with their cars. I'm sure the division has a short and long term plan. I hope they are successful. The competition and variety is good.

Last edited by LexBob2; 08-29-17 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-29-17, 11:31 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

bring back the ITR
Old 08-29-17, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It will be interesting to see what Acura does with their cars. I'm sure the division has a short and long term plan. I hope they are successful. The competition and variety is good.
Except for the Accord-look-alike styling (and I still thought it was handsome), I still don't see why the last-generation RL did not sell. It was built like a tank, had extremely good hardware inside and out, had (at that time) one of the most advanced AWD systems in the industry, and could be bought for deep discounts to boot.
Old 08-29-17, 11:43 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

They really just need to make Acura-exclusive engines that aren't just a hybrid add on. The problem is that they use the exact same engines found in Honda vehicles (Side note: I do want to see them put the Civic Type R engine in the ILX and add their AWD system but that is really the only exception). I understand that they will run forever, but I won't pay a premium over an Accord just because the TLX has a slightly nicer interior. At first, Acura used 8, 9, and 10 speed transmissions that were exclusively for their cars and you could make an argument that the transmissions made the cars slightly more worth it but now there is literally nothing incentivising me to get a TLX over an Accord with a V6 or an IS, Q50, 3 series, etc. The 2008 TL Type S was really the last Acura sedan that actually could compete with the IS, G37, 3 series, etc. of its time. Acura needs to scrap those engines and start new. They don't have to make a crazy 500+ HP engine, but just something new with 320+ HP to start to become competitive again with their luxury brand rivals. Styling is controversial but they should probably focus more on driveline than anything else. Interiors aren't bad either. Hopefully the rumors of the ILX and TLX Type S end up happening and we can actually see a TLX be able to keep up with rivals in terms of performance.

Their SUVs are doing fine though but could also benefit from a new driveline.
Old 08-29-17, 12:51 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This happened with my BMW, it came in on a Friday morning, pouring rain, so I said I would pick it up Sat. morning. They explained that it would likely have 1 mile more on the odometer as they would have to store it down the road at the Mini dealership (they have since renovated so even serviced vehicles remain inside overnight), would that be ok? I told them no, I do not want excessive mileage so kindly trailer it enclosed, because I don't want it getting wet, if they were shipped from port covered, they need to remain covered until I pick it up. j/k, but it did have an extra mile on it the next day, not much I could do about that.
Old 08-29-17, 03:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Move. Away. From. The. J-series. Engine.

Seriously, the J-series debut in 1996 and since then all they've done was enlarge the engine and add stuff here and there.
Old 08-29-17, 04:39 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Hopefully the Precision Concept is what's next.

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/precision-concept

That was shown in early 2016 so they should be close on this one.

I concur that a new mill is in order. Perhaps a decontented version of my NSX motor (ok, unlikely) with a RWD platform.
Old 08-29-17, 05:00 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,249 Likes on 869 Posts

Wherever they go next they really ought to embrace more of their 1990's roots.

The 1991-1995 Legend coupe and sedan wasn't ultimately the best car competing at the time but it was one of their best cars ever and still lives up to its namesake. SH-AWD, dual-clutch transmissions and turbocharged and hybrid-electric technologies are all great but they are hardly makers of dynamic, good looking and fun to drive modest luxury vehicles as they used to be.

The current NSX is supposed to be released in a RWD-only Type R variant at some point but who knows if that will be Japan-only or worldwide.

Oh, and while the wild Civic Type R might be okay with front-wheel drive under the Honda badge they need to stop selling all but their very cheapest entry level Acura model in FWD trim. Because it was the 1990's I forgive the Legend for this since it was otherwise such a great car for the time. Today in 2017, however, I don't see why FWD in a luxury car that isn't a pocket rocket Mini Cooper making any sense. It just makes me thing I'm driving a cheap car with a lot of leather and gizmos added.

If I were to buy a classic Citroen DS, Citroen SM or a 70's Cadillac or Olds Toronado I'd be fine with FWD in a luxury car, since those are all mostly for cruising.

Acura might even do well to design a flexible wheelbase RWD architecture for at least the RLX and TLX. That would definitely turn some heads if they did it right. But even if the current RLX and TLX are SH-AWD equipped there is still something missing from them overall. Something visually stunning and something engaging in how they drive.

The ILX... just doesn't do much of anything for me. An IS200t or even an older IS250 is hands down more appealing even if I can't get a manual transmission in either of them.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-29-17 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-29-17, 05:17 PM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Except for the Accord-look-alike styling (and I still thought it was handsome), I still don't see why the last-generation RL did not sell. It was built like a tank, had extremely good hardware inside and out, had (at that time) one of the most advanced AWD systems in the industry, and could be bought for deep discounts to boot.
it hadnt been updated since 2005 and kept it for 10 years with pretty much no updates, and when it was updated, they put the terrible beak grill on it to make it look bad.
Old 08-29-17, 06:16 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Move. Away. From. The. J-series. Engine.

Seriously, the J-series debut in 1996 and since then all they've done was enlarge the engine and add stuff here and there.
It is still a great engine though, way better then a turbo 4 cylinder. I would take the J series over the new turbo 4's replacing 6 cylinders any day. They do need a new 6 cylinder with some significant power upgrades but the J series is still very competitive and superior to most NA 6 cylinders and even some turbo 6 cylinders these days.

Quick Reply: What's Next for Acura?