Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeep Track Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 12:48 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Can this hawk handle off-road as good as other Jeep?
Old 08-31-17, 12:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Can this hawk handle off-road as good as other Jeep?
Short answer, no.

From the First Drive: It probably goes without saying, but we'll say it anyway. Nobody is going to take the Trackhawk off-road. Jeep knows this and removed unnecessary things like a low-range transfer case and mud or rock modes from the Selec-Track terrain management system. That leaves Auto, Sport, Track, Snow and Tow modes to choose from.
Old 08-31-17, 07:00 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Wait 2-3 years, they will lease very well (just like Hellcat Challenger and Charger) when Chystler NEEDS to get rid of inventory. That's after everyone that can afford one already got one.
Old 08-31-17, 11:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Wait 2-3 years, they will lease very well (just like Hellcat Challenger and Charger) when Chystler NEEDS to get rid of inventory. That's after everyone that can afford one already got one.
This might be a pretty limited run model, ie one model year, maybe two tops. The current Grand Cherokee has been out since MY 2011, so I'm sure an all new Grand Cherokee is coming pretty soon. When they introduce the all new Grand Cherokee, they aren't going to introduce a specialty model like the Trackhawk the same year.
Old 09-01-17, 01:46 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This might be a pretty limited run model, ie one model year, maybe two tops. The current Grand Cherokee has been out since MY 2011, so I'm sure an all new Grand Cherokee is coming pretty soon. When they introduce the all new Grand Cherokee, they aren't going to introduce a specialty model like the Trackhawk the same year.
It doesn't sound economic feasible to only do a 1 or 2 year model run. Chysler knows the market is there for high hp SUVs.
Old 09-01-17, 02:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Chrysler has done many 1-2 year run cars like this.
Old 09-01-17, 08:31 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Chrysler has done many 1-2 year run cars like this.
such as? Was it a flop?
Old 09-01-17, 08:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just on the GC, Altitude trim, High Altitude trim. SRT. Trail Hawk, 40th anniversary trim. This is just the SRT trim with the hellcat engine.
Old 09-01-17, 09:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The only outcome of this vehicle is TROUBLE for the owner and trouble for those on the road around it. There is absolutely no reason to have this much HP in any vehicle for public streets. Like a bartender being held responsible for serving alcohol to someone intoxicated, Chrysler should be held accountable for selling this crime-mobile. We should be building vehicles that make our roads safer for our children and families. Things like these should be illegal for streets, and used only at a track.
Old 09-01-17, 10:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

^ I think we found Tipper Gore here. Oh Lord, won't somebody please think of the children lol.
Old 09-01-17, 11:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ I think we found Tipper Gore here. Oh Lord, won't somebody please think of the children lol.
Tipper Gore, Shmipper Gore. One thing the average person does not know is safety and crime. I have worked with the police department for over 18 years regarding traffic issues in my city. Things like Mustangs, Chargers, Challengers, Camaros, and now this... are in our logs and news every week, causing problems and injuries. I also live on a major street. I see and hear it all. Street racing has tripled in the last two years, and these are the vehicles involved. Someone needs to step up and put an end to these ridiculous, useless, pieces of crap that serve no good purpose.
Old 09-01-17, 11:31 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Or maybe give them some place to legally race. The population to drag strip ratio in southern California is completely whacked out. There were more drag strips back in the 50's/60's/70's, during the muscle car days, than there are now, despite the population being A LOT lower back then. I've ranted and raved with you in another thread about this I feel like.

Just because there are a few irresponsible individuals who abuse things, doesn't mean vast majority of people who enjoy such things in moderation and within the law should be banned from having them. Just like there are fat people that eat too much fast food, should we ban In and Out, Taco Bell, etc. Just because there are idiots that street race, should we ban all cars with more than 200hp??? Just because people smoke themselves to death with cigarettes, should we ban all tobacco, when there are people who just like to smoke a really nice cigar every once in a while??? Just because people abuse alcohol and drive drunk, should we ban the good stuff like single malt scotch that I occasionally drink????

All I'm saying is your logic is kind of a slippery slope here.
Old 09-02-17, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The only outcome of this vehicle is TROUBLE for the owner and trouble for those on the road around it. There is absolutely no reason to have this much HP in any vehicle for public streets. Like a bartender being held responsible for serving alcohol to someone intoxicated, Chrysler should be held accountable for selling this crime-mobile. We should be building vehicles that make our roads safer for our children and families. Things like these should be illegal for streets, and used only at a track.
I can see your hoo-haa from here lol.

It's a fun vehicle! It's not the first high performance SUV out there. Lighten up.

The price of living in a free society is having to live alongside other people's choices. You make your choices, let others make theirs. If people do illegal things with something, it's not the things fault...it's their fault.
Old 09-02-17, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Years ago, in the 1960s, Chrysler took more or less that same attitude with its most powerful engines. When the first of the dual-quad (dual 4-barrel-carb) Hemis hit the streets in the mid-1960s, with a published figure of 425 HP and 490 ft-lbs. of torque (the true figure was probably somewhat north of that), Chrysler would not sell that particular version to the public unless the intended driver showed proof of having taken a high-performance driving course from a reputable instructor. That policy didn't last very long, however, as competing 427/425-465 HP engines from Ford and GM also started proliferating, and one could simply go down the street and buy a similar boy-racer from those dealerships if the Dodge or Plymouth shop would not deal with you.

I'm at least partly with you, though, on your basic view that 700 HP for street vehicles is excessive....although, unlike the dragsters of the 1960s, today's vehicles have far better suspension/steering/brakes, and a lot of electronic traction-aids and advanced equipment that adds at least some aspect of safety.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-17 at 08:44 AM.