Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 10:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I had no idea that the original 1990 LS400 was that aerodynamic .28 cd back in 1990 was space shuttle/concorde type of aerodynamic science.
Yeah back then that was a huge deal. I believe it was one of if not the most aerodynamic cars ever made at the time...

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Perhaps if you were to sit in the drivers seat and use the power seat belt height adjuster or the passenger seat controls from the drivers rear you might know, but they even removed these two hallmarks of the model.
You actually still can control the passenger seat from the drivers seat, the salesman showed me. theres a button right next to the driver's seat memory buttons that when you press it, the seat controls down on the side of the drivers seat fully control the passenger seat. So actually, its a better setup than what is in my car. You can also control the passenger seat from the controller in the back seat if you have the luxury package or above.

Mercedes uses a similar setup on the S Class.

Here's a picture. The little button all the way to the left on the small panel with the memory seat buttons above the door handle:

Is it the right direction? Not really sure yet, need more time but I think making a whisper quiet car that is good on ergonomics is not what the market wants. Don't you think it is amazing that they changed the LS so much and took away some of the details yet the press media actually likes the car?
Yeah we'll see. Doesn't surprise me the press likes it, it plays into what the press values a lot in cars. What impresses me is how much comfort they were able to keep while still really dramatically improving the handling.
Old 02-24-18, 11:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Yeah we'll see. Doesn't surprise me the press likes it, it plays into what the press values a lot in cars. What impresses me is how much comfort they were able to keep while still really dramatically improving the handling.
Lexus designed this new LS to move their brand. Hey are becoming more and more of a higher end brand. They would not sell a lot of models if it was just quiet and boring to look at. Although, this type of vehicle concept is what a lot of people would like. It is no mistake that drag coefficient and noise has been increased. Making the cars more interesting to the non long term Lexus owner was the goal.

What is interesting about MT, is that they recently compared a bunch of large sedans and claim that the Ls500 is vastly superior to the 460, because of sport and styling credentials . But, they then go on to claim that the G90 is worthy of the S class comparison yet they claim is lacks better styling and sportiness which is what the 460 was which the G90 benchmarked.

Long term, this design I think will struggle. It short term it will do well I believe.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-24-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-24-18, 11:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It is no mistake that drag coefficient and noise has been increased.

Wind noise isn't really a desirable noise though, road feel/feedback and engine note arguably are, which is why I was surprised that it had a little bit more wind noise.

What is interesting about MT, is that they recently compared a bunch of large sedans and claim that the Ls500 is vastly superior to the 460, because of sport and styling credentials . But, they then go on to claim that the G90 is worthy of the S class comparison yet they claim is lacks better styling and sportiness which is what the 460 was which the G90 benchmarked.
Yeah that is really interesting lol. The G90 basically is an LS460L, the two cars ride and drive almost identically. Whats good for Genesis isn't good for Lexus?

I would say the only thing the LS500 has I wish my LS460L did is the massaging seats. Those are pretty awesome.
Old 02-24-18, 12:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Standout read thanks to an unprecedented current 4LS ownership comparison! It doesn't get better than this.

I was surprised (as you) on the reduced rear legroom when I saw it last week at the autoshow and I can't recall where I saw it, total legroom is tighter than your average midsize sedan.

Hyundai corp's 3.3TT V6 in the Stinger is very smooth and one of the qualities that still impresses me today with the car. It's noticeably smoother than the 3.5 V6 in the IS, but is it really smoother (G80) than the LS' 3.5 TT V6??

From the additional replies above, I finally have an answer as to why the highway noise levels are not improved and slightly worse - Cd dropped to 0.30...

These negatives aside, the LS 500 is super polished though I wish (and hope) for a V8 and a little more glitz/tech on the interior.
Old 02-24-18, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks!

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Hyundai corp's 3.3TT V6 in the Stinger is very smooth and one of the qualities that still impresses me today with the car. It's noticeably smoother than the 3.5 V6 in the IS, but is it really smoother (G80) than the LS' 3.5 TT V6??
Obviously I didn't drive a 3.3TT G90 back to back with the LS500, but I don't remember feeling any coarseness or hearing anything unrefined when I drove that car, which I did feel in the LS500.
Old 02-24-18, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks!

Obviously I didn't drive a 3.3TT G90 back to back with the LS500, but I don't remember feeling any coarseness or hearing anything unrefined when I drove that car, which I did feel in the LS500.
From what I have heard, AMG and Jaguar super charged models are not quiet. The coarseness is by design. So is the added noise. Lexus does not want people to leave the car with a quiet silent experience. Lexus is trying to become a passionate car enthusiast type of brand.
Old 02-24-18, 12:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks!

Gotcha. I recall some of the reviews on the LS 500 also pointed out the slight coarseness at higher revs, consistent with your experience!
Old 02-24-18, 12:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

great thorough review, thanks!!

by the way though, each time you wrote 'tighter' though i thought you meant screwed/glued/welded tighter together, not a tighter (more cramped) space.

to me a luxury flagship sedan should be ROOMY. i was just (unfortunately) in a funeral in england and the car I rode in as part of the 'cortege' (funeral procession) was a giant daimler sedan about 30 years old. it had 3 rows of seats and was awesome. acres of burled walnut on the front dash... really great.
Old 02-24-18, 01:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great thorough review, thanks!!

by the way though, each time you wrote 'tighter' though i thought you meant screwed/glued/welded tighter together, not a tighter (more cramped) space.
Haha, I read it like that too until I read further.
Old 02-24-18, 05:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow $100k is steep for the V6 version thats not even fully loaded.
I see the G90 and new V6 S450 being big winners as a result of the LS redesign and change to a sporty alternative.
Old 02-24-18, 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I see the G90 and new V6 S450 being big winners as a result of the LS redesign and change to a sporty alternative.
Starts at $75K. What are you talking about?
Old 02-24-18, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Starts at $75K. What are you talking about?
Though RNM GS3 has a NY address, I think he is refering to Canadian dollars. In Canada, the V6 LS starts at $102,700

https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/automobiles/ls
Old 02-24-18, 05:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though RNM GS3 has a NY address, I think he is refering to Canadian dollars. In Canada, the V6 LS starts at $102,700

He should of said it was the Canadian spec models. The LS500 starts around mid level in Canada. There is no base model. No RWD available
Old 02-24-18, 06:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Yeah, it's a good deal in Canada at $102KCAD. The closest Benz S450 is going to be at $120KCAD, so traditional Lexus in that sense. They are very close in terms of performance numbers, so it comes down to badge snobbery and value. What's interesting is that people will slam a car for being discounted at the low end implying that it is cheap. Yet turn around and promptly say that product xyz is a value at the high end because it's not discounted, even though it sits much lower on the pricing range in that category.
Old 02-24-18, 06:16 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Lexus had a problem with their flagship. The LS460 had gotten old and was no longer selling. As I see it, they had two ways to go with the replacement. The "safe" approach (which I favor) was to make a better LS. More room, quieter, better riding, more luxurious, and faster. More like a Genesis G90 on steroids. The path they chose was to invent a new kind of car to replace the LS. Obviously it is targeted at a different buyer than the traditional LS customer as it forsakes many of the characteristics that made the LS what it was. I'm not thrilled with the result. Bigger on the outside and smaller on the inside doesn't make much sense. I generally like the interior except for the instrument section. Much too small for this car and the ***** on either side are just flat ugly. The exterior styling doesn't inspire me to rush out and buy one. At best, it isn't as bad as I thought it might be.

I can't figure who Lexus thinks the buyers are for this car. They're not likely to get many S Class, 7 Series, or A8 conquests.
I agree with many parts of this statement. Not sure who will be the targeted audience for this new car. It seems Lexus has decided to embrace Japanese Luxury design without apologies. I applaud them for abandoning the copying of German brands but this new LS500 is very polarizing. It doesn’t seem to have the bold road presence of even a Genesis G90. I’ll have to see it on the road to fully register my opinion.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion